Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Our moose hunt went well today! >

Our moose hunt went well today!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Our moose hunt went well today!

Old 10-19-2019, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator

They sure look big to me Phil!

How were you able to get it out whole? And is that a requirement in Maine? Or are you allowed to quarter them and pack them out?

-Jake
Old 10-19-2019, 03:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
They sure look big to me Phil!

How were you able to get it out whole? And is that a requirement in Maine? Or are you allowed to quarter them and pack them out?

-Jake
we are allowed to pack them out as long as we notify the game warden and explain the reason. They really don’t mind but do need to know. That’s because of poachers and the like and they won’t be chasing down a legal kill. But, there’s a lot of us that are still old fashion and enjoy seeing them get weighed and the like. Most all our game is weighed dressed out. So the 851.5 pounds is dressed weight.

We called my niece who’s boy friend has an old Jeep with skid plates under it. I had him drive down a skidder trail as close as he could and turn it around. Then run ropes to it and a pulley to help get it by trees. Then once in the skidder road shorten the ropes up. We also wrapped one antler with some of the rope. When pulled the head turned allowing the antlers to run up and down. The rope tied on the antler cause that one to tip slightly upwards on the end. Then got the moose into a rut made by those big skidder tires and it was pulled all the way out like that.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 10-19-2019 at 03:17 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

It is the same in New Brunswick were the resident moose licence holder can designate another hunter to hunt with them. Again nice moose I would be proud of it too !
The last time I hunted moose I went with a new group and they wanted to drag the moose out whole. I had never done this and was against it . They did it anyway and when they got the moose back to camp and hung it the one side was like ground burger . They had dragged it down a gravel road and wore right through the hide and into the meat ruiniung over a whole quarter.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

We drag ours down a skidder trail which was small brush and mud. No damage to any of it. Once it came to the dirt road I had my Jeep with a trailer there waiting for us to get it onto it. We pulled it on it using the Jeep that brought it up and a tow chain. My ATV wouldn’t pull it.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations Phil that's a fine moose.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thank you Mickey
Old 11-23-2019, 10:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well guys I sent out to see if I could get entered in Maine's Moose Hunting club.. Yes! I did as I never read the rules until after my patch arrived.. I received a patch and a decal. To get the patch your moose must weigh in at 800 pounds or bigger and only the shooter can get the patch. So now I have three of Maine's patches presented by the Maine Sportsman and I think they all go great together..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 11-23-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Phil...and a heckuva of a tracking job.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Erno86
Congrats Phil...and a heckuva of a tracking job.
Thank you Erno86.. It was a lot of time but found him after an hour and a half.. Then the real work started, but we got it done..
I also feel very fortunate as hard as those moose tags are to come by and be able to hunt with my sister and get such a nice moose to boot..
Old 11-23-2019, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

Where was the 1st shot?
I once shot an Elk, high. Cow went right down. Then got up 1 minute later. Turned out it was just below the spine, and when the shock wore off,.. she got up again !! My 2nd shot was through the lungs, and that was it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.