Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Our moose hunt went well today! >

Our moose hunt went well today!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Our moose hunt went well today!

Old 10-15-2019, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

Great hunt congats on the bull ! When I used to hunt moose with a rifle we decided to go with 700 win mags or 338 with heavier bullets as alot of the guys shooting the 30-06 and 270s with lighter bullets seemed to have lost moose on long tracks but the heavier calibre seemed to drop them pretty quick.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I've heard that moose is some of the best eating there is.
-Jake
I can tell you that I had my wife cooked up some inner loin for us and some company and it was awesome tasting. There’s nothing like some nice chemical free food from the forest..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 10-17-2019 at 03:09 AM.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr
Great hunt congats on the bull ! When I used to hunt moose with a rifle we decided to go with 700 win mags or 338 with heavier bullets as alot of the guys shooting the 30-06 and 270s with lighter bullets seemed to have lost moose on long tracks but the heavier calibre seemed to drop them pretty quick.
Thank you.. I dropped him on the first shot which appears to be a little low on the neck. I saw him thrashing trying to get up and went in hoping to get behind him for a behind the ear shot. But I was on the wrong side of him. I couldn’t believe it when he got up and I was only about ten feet from him. He was looking straight at me. I thought he was going to charge me or something and fired halfway between his eyes and his nose. It was a direct hit and he turned and went the other way. I fired as he was leaving and missed on that one. But I could of gotten the 180 grain bullets and maybe done better? I think his adrenaline had him go so far. The blood trail was unbelievable so I am not so sure a heavier rifle would of made much difference.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:01 AM
Spike

Nice job.
moose meat is 1 of the best.
Freezer should be 3/4 filled now.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

Congratulations Phil on a great hunt!! Thanks for sharing the story and pics.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thank you all again..
Old 10-17-2019, 04:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lots of good eats. Congrats.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations.Moose is certainly on my bucket list.

The fact that one person can draw a tag and another legally fill it seems strange to me. Is this a "party" hunt? Guess it goes with the territory/state such as baiting. Seems this practice puts more people in the draw than actual hunters thereby reducing odds of drawing a tag.

Maybe someone can explain the reasoning to me. I'm simply not experienced with this practice. No malice intended.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by rogerstv
Congratulations.Moose is certainly on my bucket list.

The fact that one person can draw a tag and another legally fill it seems strange to me. Is this a "party" hunt?

Maybe someone can explain the reasoning to me. I'm simply not experienced with this practice. No malice intended.
No not really a party hunt at all. A permit holder can have a sub accompany them and do actual shooting if desired. Both can carry a weapon with them. The permitee must be present when the shooting takes place. Meaning you are required to be in sight of each other. In our woods up here you really have to be close. Both can actually do the shooting as several others have done in the past. Some will not go down easy so one can be the backup shooter. With suck a big animal you really do not want them to go far. I did all the scouting as well the shooting we never had anybody looking for us. I do know of some that have others scouting different areas for them. A lot of them are road hunters and end up skunked. The only real way of getting one is to learn how to call them and to know which call works best at which time.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 10-18-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just a picture of the antlers to try and show how big they are. With the 50 inch spread it’s a pretty big spread for Maine moose. They are not as big as an Alaskan moose. I guess mostly I am proud of my accomplishment.
Attached Thumbnails Our moose hunt went well today!-23b170f1-a7d5-41d9-ba01-069a9a6e1fa5.jpeg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.