Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Idaho fall bear

Old 08-26-2019, 04:32 AM
Spike

Default Idaho fall bear

Where to start? I'm snakebit on bear so far. Hunted on three occasions over three years in east TN with hounds and a guide. No luck. Took a decade off to get a few things done and now I'm back in the saddle so to speak. I applied for a controlled hunt in Idaho and did not get drawn. Went ahead and purchased 2 over the counter tags for bear and 3 for wolf. Now to decide which unit.

One bear tag is regular so I can hunt any unit for it. I also have three wolf tags and can hunt any unit. Ecallers are legal for wolves statewide so I could use one as long as I have a wolf tag in my pocket. I am not tied to any unit to be honest, I would just like a pelt. Color phase would be great but not required. Any color would be fine for my first bear.

I will be hunting from a GMC Envoy, 2wd. I will be in state 5 days starting Monday, September 16 through Friday, September 20. I am 52 with a sort of bad knee and a sort of bad back. As little hiking as possible. I can hike long distances 2-5 miles, but carrying hide/meat out would be a real task.

Anyone had any luck with bear? Fall or spring makes no difference to me, I just would like a bear to add to the list. Any and all help is appreciated.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

The easiest way to get a bear would be to go to a state like Maine and use a guide to hunt over bait.

Canada as well. However, this requires long hours on the stand and some people don't want to hunt over bait.

These hunts are on the cheaper side of guided hunts though and most people could save up enough money to get the best opportunity at a bear.

I haven't done one yet, but I've been considering taking my bow one of these years and doing it. As I don't see myself ever having an archery opportunity at a bear on my own.

Maybe by luck in PA. but it would be unlikely.

-Jake
​​​​​
Old 08-26-2019, 03:18 PM
Spike

I can bait in Idaho in about half the units. I was hoping not to have to carry a bunch of bait in but I may end up doing it.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

My recommendation for a baited, guided hunt was in response to you just wanting to add a bear to the list. A guide who's running stands and baits year round is as close to a sure thing as you can get in the bear world.

On a 5 day hunt in unfamiliar country I wouldn't personally bother trying to bait.

I'd get high early and glass as much as I could. They should be feeding hard that time of year.

-Jake
Old 08-26-2019, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

You have an elk tag? Elk gut piles are good area's to wait for a bear obviously, plus the only toting your doing is back to the rig with wonderful meat.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:00 AM
Spike

No elk or deer tag. Only wolf and Bear.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
The easiest way to get a bear would be to go to a state like Maine and use a guide to hunt over bait.

Canada as well. However, this requires long hours on the stand and some people don't want to hunt over bait.

-Jake
​​​​​
Not all of Canada has bear hunting over bait. I have hunted British Columbia for bear and it is illegal to bait them there. It is all spot and stalk. Both times I went there I saw a lot of bear and both times I took a good bear. I have a chocolate phase black bear that squares 7'1" and a jet black one that squares an even 7" taken on spot and stalk hunts there.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Nice bears
Old 08-27-2019, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
My recommendation for a baited, guided hunt was in response to you just wanting to add a bear to the list. A guide who's running stands and baits year round is as close to a sure thing as you can get in the bear world.

On a 5 day hunt in unfamiliar country I wouldn't personally bother trying to bait.

I'd get high early and glass as much as I could. They should be feeding hard that time of year.

-Jake
Good advice Jake. I live here in Unit 1, Baiting is NOT legal up here due to Grizzly Bear protection. No hound hunting here in Unit 1 either, unless you draw a Very limited Permit to do so. A good friend of mine drew the Hound Permit this Year.

I had never really Thought about Bear Hunting, Even Though I live here (I have harvested MANY of them over the years) But I really never thought about how Difficult they would be to hunt? That was until this Year, a Friend of mine Drove here From South Dakota to Hunt Bear, He actually made 2 Trips out here! Sadly, He struck out Both times. Look up the Statistics of how many Bear they claim we have here, the odds look VERY Good, But i can tell you now Without Bait, or Hounds it can be a TOUGH TOUGH Hunt!! When you live here like i do, and are in the Mountains as much as i am, and have a Bear Tag in your pocket, the chances are HIGH that you will eventually See one. But to Drive from another State to here, and Spend a Week (Whatever?) To look for Bear in this Brushy Country, There is a VERY HIGH probability that you will Eat Tag Soup. Your best Bet is Hounds, or Bait

Of course after my Friend Left here from his 1st Trip, i was up Shooting a Muzzleloader 1 morning and Seen this one. But this is the ONLY Bear i have seen this Year. He had a Neat “Slingshot” White pattern on his Chest

Old 08-28-2019, 04:34 PM
Spike

Thanks so much guys.

Nice bears.

After speaking to folks on various forums, I've about decided to hunt in 12 and set up at least one bait. Glass and call during the day and sit a stand in the evening. One of my friends practically demanded I use his fancy e-caller. I'll use mostly popcorn so I can easily carry it.

Last edited by SounderPounder; 08-28-2019 at 04:42 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.