Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
do you mentally relate some rifles with certain areas , you hunt >

do you mentally relate some rifles with certain areas , you hunt

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

do you mentally relate some rifles with certain areas , you hunt

Old 08-20-2019, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Default do you mentally relate some rifles with certain areas , you hunt

I'm lucky to have access too about a dozen decent hunting rifles,
the longer Ive hunted, the more I favor some rifles,
but I also realize its not the rifle or caliber that matters nearly as much as the skill and experience of the guy holding it.
one old geezer Ive hunted with for decades only owns a browning BLR in 358 win and hes never had any issues being successful, using it.
and another guys pride and joy is a winchester 257 roberts mod 70 feather weight thats been used on 30 plus hunts.
but I find some get far more use than others, you from experience learn to trust some rifles, almost subconsciously
do you mentally just relate some rifles with certain areas , you hunt,or for specific game you hunt?
by that I mean, do you just almost instinctively select one or two specific rifles when you head out to hunt some areas,
and generally don,t really give it much thought.(you have had great results so your reluctant too make changes)
I know that when I head out to hunt elk in colorado Ive almost always grabbed my weatherby mark V 340 mag, with its synthetic stock,

as a first choice, and frequently my sako 375 H&H as a back-up for hunting thick timber.

yeah, my Browning BLR in 450 marlin has also made that trip)

if I hunt locally for whitetail deer, my marlin lever action 44 mag ,

or ruger #1 in 270, get the nod more out of habit than anything else.
if your hunting hogs in florida

If I go to hunt mule deer I have a browning 78 in 300 wby thats made that trip several times or more.
antelope hunts, a browning 78 in 6mm rem or a ruger #1 in 257 wby.

sure Ive tried a dozen or more other rifles , brought out and tried on trips
,I doubt my results would have been a bit different if I only owned a 270 win or 30/06,
but Ive learned to have complete trust in the rifles I have used for decades.

Last edited by hardcastonly; 08-20-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

For deer hunting during rifle season I have only owned two rifles and I am 57. One is a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem and one is a Remington 700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag. I started out with the .35 and now I mainly use the 7mm. I know them both like the back of my hand.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

No. I do not.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use my .308 in 80% of my hunting ( I ambush hunt mostly). I have an old Model 8 in .35 Remington that I use for stalking (mostly Hogs) in thick timber or brush. I really like the old Model 8 for close-in hunting, I can get a second shot off fast and on the off chance that a Hog decides to fight instead of running (which happens occasionally) I have some backup bullets ready to go. My 113 year old assault rifle .

I occasionally hunt with my combo rifle/shotgun, 7X57 Mauser and 12 gauge, A lot of overlapping seasons here, I may be Deer or Hog hunting, but I'm not going to pass up on something for the BBQ, Dove, Pheasant, Rabbit or Hare. My .222 for varmints.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 08-20-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

well I have a lot of rifles, I don't think I have any that I mentally relate to for a area
but I do think I pick riffles based on what I either fell is the best tool for the job, or take one I just want to use?
I will note that as I get older I do try and pick rifles that are lighter and easier to carry, over things I might have taken yrs back
I also don't desire to hoot at game as far away as I once did either, for a few reasons, one being farther away means farther I have to haul a dead animal, so back to wanting lighter things, and shorter drags/packs!
like many tings in life, as I aged I hunt smarter not harder!
Old 08-20-2019, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

I have purposely built rifles for specific hunts.
However I find that they can do other hunts well.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have two rifles that I use for almost everything. One is a Winchester Model 70 in a 30-06 and the other is a Weatherby in a 300 WM. Both are extremely accurate which gives me a lot of confidence when shooting. Because of the accuracy and confidence I have killed a lot of animals with them. Because I have killed a lot of animals with them, I always use them. It’s a vicious circle.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

one of my neighbors who hunts almost exclusively (ARCHERY) borrowed my browning BLR in 450 marlin caliber on a recent hog hunt,
when he saw how effective a 400 grain remington bullet was on a rather large hog,
his response...
"DAMN I need to get one of these things ....where has this been all my life"
we both got a good laugh out of that!
Old 08-21-2019, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

one of my neighbors who hunts almost exclusively (ARCHERY)
borrowed my browning BLR in 450 marlin caliber on a recent hog hunt,
when he saw how effective a 400 grain remington bullet was on a rather large hog,
his response...
"DAMN I need to get one of these things ....where has this been all my life"
we both got a good laugh out of that!
Its memories like that,
that make life so much better.
I remember being a few miles down a remote canyon
,in colorado, with a buddy, we each were packing out 70-80 lbs of elk meat in backpacks ,
at that altitude, we could only go 50-60 yards without stopping to rest and get our breath back...
I remember him asking me.....

"we paid how much to do this to ourselves"
we both busted out laughing,
neither of us move for several minutes"

Last edited by hardcastonly; 08-21-2019 at 06:39 AM.