Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What a shame

Old 06-09-2019, 02:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default What a shame

We were teaching a huter-trapper education class to day and the game warden got a call so him and one of the other instructors left and said they would be back. About two hours later they did come back and had a gorgeous sow black bear on the rack in the back that was hit by a vehicle along with her cub from this year. She was tagged as a cub 6 years ago just over the mountain from where she was hit. Taking a chest measurement gave her an estimated weight of 285 lb.
I cant seem to upload pics on here from my phone so I will have to log in from my phone and see if I can upload one from it.
Attached Thumbnails What a shame-20190609_113519.jpg  

Last edited by bronko22000; 06-09-2019 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Post pic
Old 06-09-2019, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

that sure sucks, as if that weight was accurate , that was a way above average female black bear, and odds are she would be passing them genes on to her cubs.

I had a young male get SHOT not far from me a few weeks back
some Idiot guy shot it, talking with warden, he thinks someone did so on purpose so it would run off there land and die!

I hate folks that do things like that, known a LOT of farmers that used to do this with deer, so not to have to deal with dead one's on there land<
just a shame!

and yes it sucks seeing them hit by vehicles Too>
worst part is, she might have had more than 1 cub, as most females have two or three, and the other one's just didn;t get hit by vehicle and are now left to fend for themselves , which tends to mean starving to death ! as at that age there too young to defend themselves and or find food to get by!
Old 06-09-2019, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Nice one especially for this early in the year

-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 06-09-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mrbb she did have more than one cub. My friend saw it earlier this evening running across the road. Not much bigger than a groundhog. The sow was still nursing. This sow and the one cube were hit not even 2 miles from my house. I'm sure by winter she would have been approaching 350 lb. Like I said the weight is fairly accurate estimate for live weight. They measure the girth of the chest just behind the front legs. Her girth was almost 45" and the chart showed about 284 lb.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Mrbb she did have more than one cub. My friend saw it earlier this evening running across the road. Not much bigger than a groundhog. The sow was still nursing. This sow and the one cube were hit not even 2 miles from my house. I'm sure by winter she would have been approaching 350 lb. Like I said the weight is fairly accurate estimate for live weight. They measure the girth of the chest just behind the front legs. Her girth was almost 45" and the chart showed about 284 lb.
that's again a shame for that remaining cub. as it will starve to death if something doesn't get it first , and that's not a fun way to die IMO!., but it is Mother natures way when this happens!
I have a lot of experience with bears, in many levels, (I have helped tag, trap, re locate, and more with em) I have even helped re hab a few of them and , and helped a few orphaned cubs make it to adult hood!
Cubs will nurse for a LONG time, a lot longer than most would things, they have been known to do so till almost being kicked out from living with there mother!
Bears are pretty amazing animals, and the milk there moms make is highly powerful stuff, and still sort of a mystery as to what all is in it!
Old 07-05-2019, 11:15 AM
Spike

That sucks. We had a buck here in Utah that scored around 190 get smacked by a car on the freeway. It really sucks when something like this happens.