Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Mule Deer hunting

Old 05-28-2019, 07:42 AM
Spike

Default Mule Deer hunting

My brother and I live in Kansas and we have been wanting to go on a mule deer hunt for a long time now but we just haven’t been able to decide on where to go and when. We’ve been looking mostly into Nebraska because its closest and has over the counter tags, any info on Nebraska would be appreciated. I would like to bow hunt but would also consider rifle hunting.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some of the biggest mulies I have ever seen are in west KS. Since that is where you live, that is the first place I'd look into.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

to be honest the largest scoring mule deer bucks I seen were in western ND, seen tons of them too,m was crazy how many, but tags are not easy to get, and thus why I gather lots of them there LOL

when I hunted SD, north western SD that is, I also seen a very nice mix of both MD and WT, not a ton of huge one's of either, but a pretty healthy mix of both, was seeing 15-20 bucks a day, most way out of range, but still, nice to see that many bucks in a day any where IMO!
Indian reservations, were pretty easy to get tags, but have since gotten a lot more popular/known and thus are getting harder to draw tags on the better one's now a days, but still possible.

the name of the game is doing your homework before going, as best you can to UP your odds on being successful, the more time and effort you put into planning, the better any trip will be, there are decent mule deer in a lot of places, but NONE are easy to kill.
bow tags are easier in many places but not all too!
haven't hunted NE in a long time, so cannot help you on that state, but again, looking into Indian reservation hunts can some time double your odds of a tag or , two bucks on a hunt,a s reservation hunts many times over lap state seasons, and if you apply for tags in both, you can , if lucky draw/buy a tag in both and hunt both state and reservation lands.
I have done this many times, as traveling so far, its nice to have more options, or a chance to hunt a second buck!
So, food for thought maybe!
Old 05-28-2019, 12:22 PM
Spike

My brother has seen some big ones out there but you can’t kill a whitetail and mule deer in Kansas in the same season and we don’t want to give up our whitetail hunting. Plus it would be fun to go hunt another state.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:23 PM
Spike

Thank you for the info I will look into reservation land!
Old 05-28-2019, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

I grew up hunting in Nebraska, you mentioned bow hunting, that is your best bet, especially if you plan to hunt public grounds. If bow hunting I would take a scouting trip to the area I have chosen, knock on a few doors, you may not get granted permission at every door, but you may be surprised to get a few nice ranches to hunt.