Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
In America, the following animals have been used. >

In America, the following animals have been used.

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

In America, the following animals have been used.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:10 PM
Spike

Default In America, the following animals have been used.

-horses
-mules
-burros
-llamas

These animals are used variously for riding, packing gear and hauling taken game out of the field.

One beast of burden I've never heard used in America by sportsmen afield is the camel.

I can't find anything on YouTube or Google regarding hunting in America by camel. They might work best in the Southwestern deserts
for "humping" your stuff and "hoofing" it over the sand with your fresh kill of deer or bighorn sheep, stupid pun.

Camels should be able to be trained to sack out to gunfire since the American army experimented with them in the 1800's.
Whether fresh blood smell will spook a camel, I don't know.

I don't know if sport hunters use dog sleds also. They might work in the snow of the North.

Would dog sleds and/or camels, in theory, be a bad idea for certain kinds of North American hunting? If so, why?

The use of pack/riding animals is more appealing because you don't have engine noise as from atv's and such to destroy the peace in Mother Nature.

Last edited by Dave_Preston; 04-05-2019 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

Another animal that I just thought about was the oxen used to pull wagons.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

well not sure what your goal is with this post
but they do use dog sleds in the places where there practical to be used when hunting
the fact is simple ion why most don't
is there is a ton of costs and effort in maintaining a team of dogs., that is not worth the trouble for most hunters, or there costs!

which will also be the same reason your not seeing camels being used
as they too, are not native to where your suggesting them to be used in the USA , so now you have import fee's or buying from stock here, and still importing it to your area
folks don't wish to buy a animal just for packing out game, for one, or most dont
next is temperatures, I have NO clue what temps a camel work best it, but I doubt many places out west(usa) with elevation where most hunting happens and snow and cold temps, might be a flaw
SO WHY would anyone want to import a NON native animal into an area where pre existing animals already are and work fine?

I'm sure you can teach a monkey to play card games, but its most likely a lot easier to play with humans!
Old 04-05-2019, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some sheep hunters use dogs to haul gear, especially in bear country because the dogs double as camp guard type critters. I remember seeing an article on it 10 or 12 years ago in Outdoor Life.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
Some sheep hunters use dogs to haul gear, especially in bear country because the dogs double as camp guard type critters. I remember seeing an article on it 10 or 12 years ago in Outdoor Life.
dogs are used in this way a lot for hikers , for same reason, they can alert you to a bear
but this has also been going on for a LOT of yrs
most folks that live in very r emote places have dogs and have had dogs for same reasons, there ability to alert to things, due to them having better noses and eye's and ears than most humans!
Old 04-10-2019, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I’ve seen multiple hunters using goats as pack animals in back country hunts in recent years. Dog sleds are common among hunters in northern territories where it makes sense for their use.

Camels? Just dumb. Only camel I ever saw for sale in the US went something over $20,000, and they’re not known for any particular advantage such as dexterity or mobility such are mountain-native llamas and goats, or mules.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

The US Army experimented with camels in the old west days...didn't work. I think primarily because they just aren't easy animals to get along with. I know that llamas are used by backpackers/ campers in some areas. They are pretty easy to handle, carry a good load. For hunting? I wouldn't want to either lead or leave llamas in a hunting woods.
I fellow in the ADKs used to haul hunters and their gear in with his team and wagon during hunting season. Oxen once were very popular for hauling, especially in lumber camps.
I would think other than with a sled team, dogs aren't a good idea around a hunting camp for the obvious reasons. We have Rotties, and originally they were frequently used for Carting...pulling a light cart for deliveries or peddling. I do not see that as practical over rough country. There is probably a reason in days gone by why human porters were frequently used for hauling freight!