Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Double Tap .357 Magnum 200gr WFNGC Hardcast--Up To The Task? >

Double Tap .357 Magnum 200gr WFNGC Hardcast--Up To The Task?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Double Tap .357 Magnum 200gr WFNGC Hardcast--Up To The Task?

Old 11-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Spike

Default Double Tap .357 Magnum 200gr WFNGC Hardcast--Up To The Task?

What would a .357 Magnum 200gr WFNGC Hardcast bullet moving at just over 1300 fps be capable of handling in the woods/mountains?

What animals would be on the upper limits of this particular round within 30 yards?

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=152

Thanks

Last edited by Southern Shooter; 11-15-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

solid lead bullets can be so unpredicteble...with around 650 ftlb of energy it would be marginal at best for anything but pests.......I sure wouldn't trust my life to it!!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer, antelope, mountain lions, javelina, wild boar, and the like.

That sounds like a pretty stout load, but would require a good strong pistol as well.

Later,

Marcial
Old 11-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Southern Shooter
What would a .357 Magnum 200gr WFNGC Hardcast bullet moving at just over 1300 fps be capable of handling in the woods/mountains?

What animals would be on the upper limits of this particular round within 30 yards?

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=152

Thanks
I'd say within the limits of the shooter, anything Deer Sized and down it will do a number on. Would be a stretch for black bear, but if its for defense of bear it beats the heck outta a stick.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

It wouldn't be my first choice for a hunting round / caliber but I would feel safe carrying it in the woods for protection to cover everything up to a grizzly. As mentioned before, I would want a stout, heavy framed 357 to shoot that round out of.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Spike

Default Purpose....

The purpose in this case would be for protection. Not hunting. Something small enough to tote allowing for a pack of some sort to be carried, big enough to incapacitate, and able to fire multiple rounds fairly quickly. Something like a Ruger GP-100 in a 6" barrel.

Just trying to find a balance here.

Thanks
Old 11-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Southern Shooter
The purpose in this case would be for protection. Not hunting. Something small enough to tote allowing for a pack of some sort to be carried, big enough to incapacitate, and able to fire multiple rounds fairly quickly. Something like a Ruger GP-100 in a 6" barrel.

Just trying to find a balance here.

Thanks

Sounds good to me. I used to carry a 357 in the woods and then I sold it. The next biggest pistol I have is a 40Cal. so I carry that now. I'm in Colorado and don't feel I need anything bigger that that here. If I was somewhere like Alaska, then I would get a bigger gun and it wouldn't be smaller then a 44 mag. If your gun shoots them well, go far it.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I once read for griz protection the formula is...

.40 caliber or larger
200 grain bullet or larger
1000 fps or faster

meet all 3 of these in whatever combination you prefer...

So I went with a .44mag shooting 240grs or 300grs.

Aside from griz I'd probably feel pretty comfy with a .357, but I'd probably want something other than a solid lead bullet.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
I once read for griz protection the formula is...

.40 caliber or larger
200 grain bullet or larger
1000 fps or faster

meet all 3 of these in whatever combination you prefer...

So I went with a .44mag shooting 240grs or 300grs.

Aside from griz I'd probably feel pretty comfy with a .357, but I'd probably want something other than a solid lead bullet.
Most who don't shoot handcast bullets, cast doubt at them for they don't understand them. Elmer Keith shot a mule deer at 600 yds with a 4" barreled revolver with his own designed, 240grn Keith Style SWGC, and dropped it!!! Witnessed!!!! We have shoot MANY 44mag rounds with our own cast and others and found they penetrate just as well or better than jacketed. Total penetration on deer and hogs, side to side and end to end. The real stopper on cast bullets is to have a large meplat, flat nose, and it will impair shock power beyond your wildest dream. Thats what transfers all the energy from the bullet to the target. Drops them DRT!!!
Old 11-23-2010, 05:16 AM
Spike

Default Finnbear...only for pests?

solid lead bullets can be so unpredicteble...with around 650 ftlb of energy it would be marginal at best for anything but pests.......I sure wouldn't trust my life to it!!!!
Hi,
I was wondering if that is truly your opinion on that round. I guess my living in the in the Southeastern part of the U.S. leaves me with a different impression of the ballistics. Of course, black bears (which I have never encountered) and wild hogs are the largest animals I would really have to think of bumping in to.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.