Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado elk

Old 12-17-2018, 09:25 AM
Spike

Default Colorado elk

I was born in Colorado and have hunted big game since i was 14, so the math says that is almost 50 years of hunting deer and elk. For the last 25 years i have chased elk to hell and gone and have been fairly successful in filling my tags. But this is not about me, it is specifically about the condition of our elk herd, and i can bear witness that in my neck of the woods here in the southwest part of the state, that our herds are in trouble, and that is pretty much what Colo. Parks and Wildlife is saying statewide. Their studies show that the mortality rate of calves is way down in the first 6 month period of life for calves. They estimate that locally the herd is down 30-40 percent, and that has not been affected by adverse winters for the last 3 years.Parks & Wildlife doesn't know why either. They say that it isn't predators, many of us local hunters who cover hundreds of miles hunting, say it is. They say that due to the amount of archery hunters during the pre rut that many bulls are staying away from the cows. Local archery hunters say that happens to a degree, but not enough to affect the herds to this degree. What has some of us local guys worried is that if the herds are declining, and the number of hunters is increasing each year, we will lose the foundational core of our herds. Colo Parks know they have a problem, but they also need the revenue to exist and manage the hunting resoures in this state. There is a hinting from the rumors that they are looking at archery restructuring, with this entailing maybe a shorter season, or maybe a draw. From some of the local archery hunters i have talked with, we agree that there is getting to be to many hunters in the easily accessable hunting areas, and each year there are more archery elk hunters in the woods. These same hunters said they would sacrafice hunting every year if it would bring the herds back up to where it was 8-10 years ago and also increase the bull to cow ratio's to where there are more bulls and also larger bulls. But, we also don't think that this is the fix required to stem this decline in elk. And we also don't think that archery should take the brunt of it. The over the counter elk tags puts a bullseye on this state from hunters across the nation, and as the amount of hunters increases each year, it is an unsustainable equation for having quality elk herds in the future. So, some of us here are seriously talking about starting up a non profit hunting organization specifically to try and get a voice representing hunters with the Wildlife Commission, with the legislature, and assist them in finding answers that are fair to all and increase the health of our elk herds. For now, that is the biggest issue we see, but we hopefully will have input into all aspects of hunting of all the game in Colorado. So i am reaching out to you all, because everything i have talked about affect's a fair number of you. I know that some of you have had some good hunts in this state recently, and the are localized areas that there is still a fair number of elk, but i guarantee you, my aching feet at the end of each archery season guarantees it, that for the last 5 years,my son and i spend much of our time asking each other where the hell the are the elk. When, after each season, 30-40 guys who hunt hard and cover terrain like a goat, each have the same report from our hunts, well, we knew there was a problem before the Parks and Wildlife did. So, input fellow archery hunters, rifle hunters of elk. Would you sacrafice to have better hunting, and to what degree? And the same for rifle hunters? And eventually, when we get this organization off the ground, would you be interested in supporting it? I've tried to give you just the basics of this issue, and i would be remiss if i didn't remind you that pretty much all hunting nowdays boils down to money, revenue. Wildlife is a resource, has to be managed, and that costs money. So when we talk about trying to get a voice and bring about change that is good for all, it is a pretty tall tree we are barking up, and as i have been telling people, you better have a pretty loud bark to be heard. And that can happen only in numbers, so we shall see where this takes us.
Thank you fellow "huntsmen of the woods"
Old 12-17-2018, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dude ...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 12-21-2018 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Rules 2 & 8--warning.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:10 AM
Spike

Default really

And all you can get out of it is that there are not enough paragraphs. And I wonder why some things never change. You may trivialize it all you want because it isn't perfect for you to read, while here on this home front, the issue as stated is very real, and affects, and will be affecting, thousands of hunters. ...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 12-21-2018 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Rule 8--warning.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Sundance I have hunted Colorado for 10 of the last 13 or so years. The hunting always seemed pretty good to me. My hunting partner Rob and I have a Colorado lifetime resident who has taught us both a lot about hunting the west. I remember hearing him talk several years ago about the western rim in the areas west of Alamosa having a herd numbers problem. Between hunting pressure, disease and predators there could be a reason. Welcome to Huntingnet.
I'll add we always hunted the south eastern side of the SLV..

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 12-17-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sundance55
And all you can get out of it is that there are not enough paragraphs. And I wonder why some things never change. You may trivialize it all you want because it isn't perfect for you to read, while here on this home front, the issue as stated is very real, and affects, and will be affecting, thousands of hunters. ...Deleted by CalHunter....
Make it easy to read and I'll read it. I was a CO resident for 52 years and have taken 25 elk. Seems to me the state has always done a pretty good job of managing the elk. ...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 12-21-2018 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Rule 8--warning.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by flags
Dude if you can't grasp the concept of paragraphs and breaking a topic up then I'm not even going to attempt reading this.
Not trying to push buttons here but if you don't want to read it then don't. No need for the rude comments! In the future please just keep them to yourself and move on. Or read it and post something useful!
Old 12-18-2018, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
Not trying to push buttons here but if you don't want to read it then don't. No need for the rude comments! In the future please just keep them to yourself and move on. Or read it and post something useful!
...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 12-21-2018 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Rules 2, 5 & 8--2-month temp ban.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by flags
Don't believe I was talking to you. In the future don't involve yourself in a conversation you're not in. Just sayin'
Here is the thing. ...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 12-21-2018 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Rule 5--Not allowed.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sundance55
And all you can get out of it is that there are not enough paragraphs. And I wonder why some things never change. You may trivialize it all you want because it isn't perfect for you to read, while here on this home front, the issue as stated is very real, and affects, and will be affecting, thousands of hunters. If it's a English comp, I will write it as such, just didn't know that I would get graded on a hunting post.
Now you're being as much of a smart-aleck as flags was. Stream of consciousness writing like your OP topic does allow you get all of your thoughts on paper (or forum post) before you forget something but it is a lot harder for somebody else to read and digest. Not saying writing like this won't work for you as far as getting it all typed before you get it. But you do have the option of breaking it down into a few paragraphs before you hit the post button. If you just want to vent, leave it be and most of us will read (or interpret) blah, blah, blah like a Charlie Brown movie. If you want to convince somebody to get involved, paragraphs would be the way to go. It's your choice. Venting is supposed to be healthy and help lower your blood pressure. Getting people involved and maybe fixing something, however, would be a lot more satisfying and prolly lower that blood pressure even further.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I view it a bit differently elkman. The OP signed up to become a member and made his post. There is no way for anyone to know a particular member's abilities when it comes to grammar or sentence structure. I found the original post a little bit difficult to read and follow but I took the time to get through it and tried to post a followup which is what we all should be focusing on....especially with a new member who apparently has now chosen to no longer participate. Not everyone is a word smith or even taking it more to the point a teacher like flags. When I was acting in a mod capacity one thing that always bothered me was people being rude to new members. This site is only as good as the members and one thing that sticks in my craw is the difference between today and yesteryear when we had so much participation. Every member that gets chased away is one more that we lose. When loses are more than new real participating members then the site is dying. Every member that gets chased away is another nail in the coffin. It is probably a good thing I am no longer a mod!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.