Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
NM/CO/WY pronghorn antelope hunting units >

NM/CO/WY pronghorn antelope hunting units

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

NM/CO/WY pronghorn antelope hunting units

Old 02-10-2019, 08:35 AM
Spike

Default NM/CO/WY pronghorn antelope hunting units

I am a 23 year old who’s setting off on a lifelong journey to complete a North American super slam. For those of you unfamiliar it requires me to successfully document the harvesting of all 29 North American big game animals. Hunting’s in my blood and I have mastered the fundamentals, I’m confident they can make me successful in unfamiliar terrain.

As all of you hunters know, it’s hard enough to keep up with all the laws and regulations in your own county, let alone another states (especially the loop holes and other insider information). I’m hoping a veteran hunter reading this will see a younger version of themselves and be inclined to share some wisdom. In particular I’m looking for recommendations on which hunt units/codes to apply for in New Mexico and Colorado with lots of big antelope?

I’ve done a ton of research for two years but this is my first time applying so I don’t really know what all the different codes mean and which parts of each unit are huntable. I’m hoping that I can get recommendations so that if I am lucky enough to get a tag my first year, that I didn’t get it for a unit that was mostly private/****ty hunting. From what I’ve heard about Wyoming there’s not too much difficulty getting a tag, but any pointers or comments are appreciated more than I can express with words.

As I originally stated my greater goal is the NASS, if you have any other pointers or creative ideas about how to get access to land or other species- please share. I promise to always pay it forward.

Nick Kaderli
Old 02-10-2019, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get the onXmaps app to find access to public land and do the homework on the state sites. Obviously Wyoming is your best bet. If you are looking for a non-trophy pronghorn to "check the box" you can probably find one in most units if you put in the time and legwork. Later in the season usually has calmer game than the opener but many of the "trophy" bucks are gone. In the easy draw units the game often heads straight for private land when the season opens.

If you strike out on your license make sure you buy the preference point to help in the future.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

subscribe to Eastmans' or Epic Outdoors.

good luck.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are going super slam, hope you have a bank account larger than most 23 year olds (and most older folks!)

Good luck.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH
If you are going super slam, hope you have a bank account larger than most 23 year olds (and most older folks!)

Good luck.
That's what is keeping me from getting it. Nonresident tags are getting more expensive and the odds of drawing them are getting higher every year. Plus tags like for nonresident Québec caribou are no longer available.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by buffybr
That's what is keeping me from getting it. Nonresident tags are getting more expensive and the odds of drawing them are getting higher every year. Plus tags like for nonresident Québec caribou are no longer available.
Have you seen Polar Bear, musk ox etc.? WOW
Old 02-13-2019, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

The last Polar Bear hunt that I saw advertised was $70-80k, AND you can't bring the hide beck into the US. Desert sheep start around $50k; and Dall, Rocky Mountain, and Stone ram hunts are in the $20-40k range. Tule elk and Brown bears start in the $20k range.

I've been lucky enough to have hunted most of Montana's BG animals on cheap resident tags, and I got almost all of them on DIY hunts where it only cost me the tag and a tank of gas.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Didn't they come out with the NA25 now for that very reason!? instead of the NA28/29...

I'm chasing the 25/28 etc... but first things first, I'm gonna work towards the NA10 first before some Super Slam.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Didn't they come out with the NA25 now for that very reason!? instead of the NA28/29...

I'm chasing the 25/28 etc... but first things first, I'm gonna work towards the NA10 first before some Super Slam.
We all start with baby steps. You can take about 10 of the NA29 before you start hitting the very high dollar critters. The Super Ten includes one sheep which for most hunters is a high dollar critter.

I don't see myself getting much higher on the list than 20.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:28 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
If you strike out on your license make sure you buy the preference point to help in the future.
Plenty of leftover tags too if you're adventurous!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.