HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   MI Bear hunt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/420198-mi-bear-hunt.html)

cg21 01-19-2019 03:24 AM

MI Bear hunt

Hi I am new to the forum my daughter wants to go on a bear hunt. And I was looking for somewhere within driving distance from Indiana. It seemed Michigan was a good choice after doing some research. After contacting a guide I was informed I needed to start collecting preference points in Michigan to get drawn in the lottery. So waiting isn't an issue, but has anyone from out of state done this? Are there other states I should be considering? Thanks and happy hunting.

Bocajnala 01-19-2019 04:42 AM

Pennsylvania has over the counter tags. $101 for your hunting license (includes a buck tag) and $36 for your bear license.

Lots of public land available in the state. Lots of bears, including some big ones, although the hunting is probably some of the toughest bear hunting there is. They don't allow baiting or hounds.

The most successful hunters in PA typically get in groups and put on drives.

-Jake

bpd1982 01-19-2019 07:56 AM

I would look at Ontario or Quebec. Check your area for outdoor show and go visit with some outfitters if nothing else this will give you some idea of how to proceed.

Maceman66 01-19-2019 01:10 PM

Minnesota is a mostly draw state but it doesn't usually take more than 2 or 3 years to draw. I have hunted with North Shore Outdoors out of Grand Marais and had a couple great hunts and killed my first bear with them. There are a few outfitters that do hunts in Minnesota in the no quota areas as well. There are more bears in the draw areas but if you aren't wanting to wait, you can always check those out.

Bocajnala 01-19-2019 03:00 PM

If I was going to go on one bear hunt, personally, I would look into a hound hunt where that is legal. But that's just what interests me.

For hunting over bait, I know a guy who has gone three years with a guide in Maine called back woods guide service. He had had success each time. And the price is right.

-Jake

cg21 01-21-2019 03:03 PM

Ok is there anything in MI worth saving up preference points to hunt? For $5 a year not a bad option for me to look into being so close.

Bocajnala 01-21-2019 07:40 PM

Yes, there is. Michigan allows baiting which will probably be your best bet. There are plenty of outfitters that will set you up on a bait and take care of all the details of your hunt.

Or you can try to go at it alone. Although I do not know what the regulations are in Michigan.

-Jake

Mickey Finn 01-22-2019 11:29 AM

Go to Ontario. I hunt Michigan most years as a resident. But I would not spend the time waiting to draw as a non-resident.

Good luck whatever you decide.