Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Wyoming antelope

Old 10-18-2019, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

This is an awesome post with lots of good info Jake!! Antelope in Wyoming is on my bucket list and this helps a lot. It sounds like you guys had a great trip with lots of good memories. Kudos!!
Old 10-18-2019, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Excellent post Jake! I’m sure many will find it helpful.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jake, you said you used 3 points to draw, some areas will not work like that, where I Moved to no points to draw and people are everywhere first week. I bowhunted before gun season and routinely had 2-3 stalk attempts, all initially found from the truck, now, 3 weeks into the month and my wife and I just saw our first huntable/public land antelope from the truck last weekend! They are there, and we have taken 2 so far, but both have been over a mile from the truck.

Glad you had fun and success, I love antelope hunting!
Old 11-07-2019, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Valuable information copied from Mr. Jake in another thread:

Q. "Does anyone know if I can buy points for kids? Can I begin piling antelope points for my young kids to use when they turn 12 or 13??"

A. "Some further reading on the Wyoming site and I finally found the answer we both expected.

. Youth can apply for preference points when they are 11 years old at the time of submitting a preference point only application and must be at least 12 years old by December 31 of that year.

So the most a youth can build up would be one point before being eligible to hunt."

Last edited by Big Uncle; 11-07-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

This winter may be tough on some of the pronghorn areas. The snow is piling up in some places but hopefully it will be manageable for the game. There is sometimes a silver lining and in this case it is the moisture from the eventual snow melt that should make the sage grow. Keep an eye on the winter weather before choosing a unit for your hunt.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
This winter may be tough on some of the pronghorn areas. The snow is piling up in some places but hopefully it will be manageable for the game. There is sometimes a silver lining and in this case it is the moisture from the eventual snow melt that should make the sage grow. Keep an eye on the winter weather before choosing a unit for your hunt.
Learning a lot from living here now, this is a BIG state. True some areas of WY are getting slammed this winter, some aren't. I live in Buffalo (Antelope areas 102 and 16), we had zero snow until a week ago, now we have over a foot. That is in the antelope areas, if you head up to the bighorns (no antelope really) they have multiple feet. So the melt should help water the sage as it drains out of the mountains.

Locally we are seeing LOTS of antelope, now that they are grouped up on the snow, we either see none or a TON together.

This area, assuming winter actually ends soon, should be ok, others not so much. So check your target area, not just WY
Old 02-13-2020, 06:39 AM
Spike

What is the logic behind the requirement of youth to be at least 12 to hunt? I would hope that in these days of "get more people into hunting" that they would lower the age limit. I would love to get my boy into it but he's only 7.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why assume there's logic?

States control the hunting regulations, some states set an age some don't. WY obviously decided that 12 is the age it takes to be mature/old/big enough to hunt. Same "logic" as drinking age, voting age, driving age.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lander Region winter weather report:

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regional-Office...s-for-wildlife
Old 02-27-2020, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Green River Region Winter Conditions Summary 2020The 2019-20 winter has seen variable conditions throughout the Green River Region through early January. Conditions were harshest in Lincoln and Uinta counties, beginning as early as the third week of October 2019. The central portion of the region, including the Farson, Rock Springs and Green River areas, has experienced less harsh conditions, but continues to receive periodic snowfall and has had periods of extreme cold. The eastern portion of the region near Baggs has a little above average snow depths, but temperatures have been generally mild when compared to areas to the west.

As mentioned above, late November and most of the month of December had harsh conditions, with extreme cold and significant snowfall in the western and west central portions of the region. Pronghorn were especially affected and there were numerous incidents involving pronghorn moving to avoid weather and highway mortalities. Snows drifted and froze into zones that precluded the use by ungulates in many areas considered winter range. Six Variable Messaging Signs were deployed in an effort to limit losses. A few areas in this zone remained slightly more open, which helped moderate winter-related losses. Since the last few days of December and early January, conditions have generally moderated throughout most of the region and wildlife appear to be reaping the benefit of that moderation. Shrubs are now exposed in much of the areas considered crucial winter habitats and the overall outlook has dramatically improved. We can expect some higher than normal winter losses due to the conditions to-date, but remaining animals look to be in relatively good condition.

Overall, to-date, big game damage has been relatively "typical" in the Green River Region. The early snows brought elk down from the high country and onto private lands earlier than normal, but late elk seasons have limited most concerns. Typical areas of elk damage include Cokeville, Evanston, Farson, and the Bridger Valley. Damage concerns may increase as winter progresses and seasons close.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.