Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

New Mexico Elk

Old 11-19-2018, 12:50 PM
Spike

Default New Mexico Elk

I’m thinking of trying elk hunting for the first time and I’m wondering if anyone on this site has used an outfitter in New Mexico, with any success? I’m located in SC so needless to say I know nothing about elk hunting. Thanks for any responses.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

check all references rather extensively and don,t settle on one or two, remember its rather easy for any shady outfitter,
to have reference phone numbers routed to relatives or a couple lucky clients.
Ive always suggested asking the people the outfitter,
provided for phone numbers, of the people they might have that were there with them,
and ask for dates the hunts occurred, things could and do change over time
clients can be lazy,and expect far more than they are entitled too, and both clients and guides should be willing to work, and be in decent physical shape,
but guides that know what your expecting and a camp that provides decent meals and a dry comfortable camp are reasonable expectations
as is having a reasonable chance for the client too shoot at the game and I personally would expect that to be under 300 yards, several times on a trip.
many of my friends have booked and went on hunts in Colorado and Oregon, results, COST, GUIDES and camps varied WILDLY,
ITs hardly the guides fault if you can,t shoot accurately or are in lousy physical condition, and if your not willing to hunt from dawn till dark.
no mater what shape you think your in, its not going to feel the same at elevated altitudes and your almost 100% sure to not be used to the physical stress level required
, be aware it takes time to acclimate to higher altitudes,
bring a bottle of aspirin use chap stick on your lips, and drink lots of gator-aid, read up on altitude sickness.
good well broken in boots with cleat tread soles,warm socks, a comfortable day pack, a decent hat with sun visor,
a decent sleeping bag thats rated below ZERO may be very beneficial.
Ive been on 28 out of state elk hunts ,only a few were with outfitters, , but they do usually have access to much better hunt areas than the general public,
many provide a valuable service and access to good areas, ask lots of questions on what they suggest you do to prepare,
for the hunt and what to bring, and contact the areas state game department biologist, and chamber of commerce,
too check up on the business reputation, and hunt areas. (buy topo maps and study them)

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/fe...hony-outfitter

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/hunting/

https://www.nmbiggamehunting.com/

http://www.hunterstrailhead.com/index.php?ID=457

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...ing-tips.1095/

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...ositions.9380/

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com/index.php?threads/long-range-calibers-for-elk-are-not-mandatory.1275/

Last edited by hardcastonly; 11-20-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:50 AM
Spike

Default Thanks

I can’t ask for better advice than that! Thank you
Old 11-20-2018, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Id strongly suggest you may want too spend some time running on a tread mill or stadium steps with a heavy back pack (40 lbs min),
doing so at least 3-4 times a week, for at least an hour a day,
and spend as much time shooting your rifle from sitting positions ,
and practice shooting prone behind your back pack as a rest, with a sling and a bi-pod
the time spent, doing so, is very well invested...there are no bench rests in the field

this is not my 340 wby, pictured below , but it could be a clone its so similar,
what caliber rifle you select is FAR less important than your ability to hit where your aiming from a rapidly acquired field position,
A high degree of confidence and familiarity with the rifle you carry is a huge advantage

youll almost never see an opportunity for a similar shot out in the open, like these pictures,posted below, which were probably taken in a national park or some non-hunting area

my late hunting partner considered anyone not equipped, with a browning BLR in caliber 358 win ,
while hunting elk too be hampered and working under a sever dis-advantage
I loaded for him for almost 30 years , fed 215 primer, 250 grain speer and 44 grains of IMR 4064
that carbine accounted for at least 14 elk over 35 years.
he constantly referred to my 340 wby as a "damn CANNON"
we were both successful.

Last edited by hardcastonly; 11-21-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:47 AM
Spike

I manage a 5000 acre hunting property in SC so I’m not new to hunting, I’ve just never been elk hunting. I’ve been to Wyoming and you’re definitely correct, the elevation is a big consideration. Thank you for all your information.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

please post pictures after you complete the hunt as Im sure most of us would love to see the area and get your opinion of the area, outfitter and general sense of the hunt conditions
Old 11-20-2018, 09:31 AM
Spike

Will do. Thanks again! I’m still curious if anyone on this site has had a positive encounter with a particular outfitter in NM?With so many listed with their wildlife department, it would give me a place to start looking.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Something else you might want to consider adding to your research is to check out some outfitters at one of the Sportsman's Shows. You're usually talking with the owner or one of the guides and they can give you realistic feedback. If you do a bit of searching on HNI, you'll also find some of the members are guides and/or own their own guide service. They also may be able to give you some recommendations on a guide service in NM to check out. Hopefully, some of the members that have hunted with a guide in New Mexico will also give you some suggestions or recommendations.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:40 PM
Spike

Thank you for your response! All the information I can get is much appreciated.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

My buddy and I just completed an elk hunt in New Mexico and drove from SC. Where are you located? We used Evans hunting service and purchased landowner tags. We hunted near angel fire in unit 46. The ranch we hunted was step with dark timber and shot distance varied as there were a few pastures to shoot across but less than 100 yards mostly. The drive from SC was 23 hours we drove to OKC day 1 then finished the next day. Coming back we kept changing seats and drove straight thru will never do that again lol. We stayed in a house next to the ranch managers which was good since we had beds and showers. Hunting out there dark to dark is nothing like SC.

Several ranchers out there sells land owner permits. Make sure you check google maps and other ways to see land i can’t recall them off hand. Some tags were sold to hunters to hunt a 100 acres property. The problem was the strip of land was 50 yards wide and a however long fenced on both sides. So the land to hunt and get a shot was a challenge. We didn’t have that experience but others did.

Being in shape is a must our packs were full of everything. The weather changed all day. Warm. Cold, snow, rain and then warm again.
We dreamed of hunting elk and once we got them on the ground omg did the work start. It was awesome though. We got a bull and cow. We drove a little distance to a processor and get them processed for .95 a lb. we were able to fit it all in 4 large coolers for the ride home.
We are looking at going again just not sure where. I do think Wyoming will be our next place since we have preference points. Im trying to upload pics just having issues now. ill try to get them loaded. Good luck on your quest
Attached Thumbnails New Mexico Elk-68298139-150a-4133-9676-7f019e12ef4c.jpeg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.