Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Colorado unit 14 elk hunt 2nd rifle season Headed out in 3 weeks >

Colorado unit 14 elk hunt 2nd rifle season Headed out in 3 weeks

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado unit 14 elk hunt 2nd rifle season Headed out in 3 weeks

Old 09-23-2018, 04:41 PM
Spike

Default Colorado unit 14 elk hunt 2nd rifle season Headed out in 3 weeks

Been watching weather looks like its been a little warm there again. Hunting public land should be a great experience. Been talking to few guys that normally go and there taking the year off. Got lucky and drew a mule deer tag also. Looking forward to it get to stay for the week this year. Started my diet/ exercise back in August finally paying off down 20lbs. Will be happy if I can loose another 7lbs put me under 200. Hopefully I will have some nice pics to post.

Last edited by unclefish; 09-23-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck. Good work on losing your weight and working out. It will help when you are in the mountains.

I am a non-resident hunting elk for my ninth year in GMU 75 in Colorado. Whether I kill an elk or not, I always have a great time and enjoy the beautiful country. I'm now 62 years old and am wondering how many more years I can keep DIY hunting at 11,500 feet in relatively steep country. Well, at least this year I'm feeling pretty good and strong. It is what it is, as the leader of our elk camp likes to say. This elk hunting provides a vital incentive for me to stay in good condition and to keep my weight down, which probably improves my prospects for living longer.

Good hunting to you.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:10 AM
Spike

Just heard they have had a big wild fire 40 miles south of where we hunt. I guess it has been warm and dry in that area.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:51 PM
Spike

Leave tomorrow night for Colorado . Pretty pumped up need to try to get some rest for that wonderful 30 hour ride. Had some friends leave today. Heard they had some snow in Colorado, wonder if clark got any?
Old 10-16-2018, 02:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Best of luck. I was supposed to be arriving around now for a second season elk hunt down in South Central Colorado area 083 with Rob in VT. Unfortunately Rob's beautiful cabin was destroyed this summer in the Spring Creek fire. In addition to the cabin the area we normally hunt was also partially burned off. Colorado is a special place and my heart is broken for all the residents and vacation home owners who lost so much.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

My mother lives along the front range in CO between Denver and Ft Collins and she sent me a photo yesterday of her backyard with 6 inches of fresh snow in it. That means it is snowing in the high country and the hunting should be good.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:34 AM
Spike

Good deal. It looks like some warm weather for next week. Guess we will see when we get there . It just wouldn't be fun with out some type of challenge. It basically already started since I am still at work. Was supposed to take half day. Owe well . Come hell or high water this cat is leaving @ midnight.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:50 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Best of luck. I was supposed to be arriving around now for a second season elk hunt down in South Central Colorado area 083 with Rob in VT. Unfortunately Rob's beautiful cabin was destroyed this summer in the Spring Creek fire. In addition to the cabin the area we normally hunt was also partially burned off. Colorado is a special place and my heart is broken for all the residents and vacation home owners who lost so much.
That sucks . Sorry to here it. Hopefully Rob gets it rebuilt. Wish you guy the best of luck.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:33 AM
Spike

Update for the week. Unit 214 and 14 . Not in the last 6 years of coming have I ever seen it this bad. I saw 6 elk total which 2 of our guys got the bull and 1 cow . Not 1 single mule deer buck . 5 total doe while hunting. Leaving tomorrow so I will try 1 more day. I hunted ever single day and stayed in every day . Never seen this place so dark and brown. Guess I will take my lesson learned when the say it's been hot and dry hear all summer i will trade tags in for and do some other type hunt.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

A friend of mine went with three others to Glenwood Springs for the 2nd season.They only could score Bull Elk tags and so far scored a nice 6x7.There weather has been really warm.