Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

SD Whitetail rifle tag

Old 08-25-2018, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Berserker
MI and WI has strong tradition of hunting like I said, It is cultural thing. Not letting people who moved away, come back for deer season, would not go well. Plus there is a lot of money to be made.

We have a lot of people who move between states, own land in both. My camp is not in the state I live in. I get screwed on cost, but I can still buy.

Bear tags are tougher for non resident. only 21 in my zone to non residents, took me 4 years to get 2nd period. But bear hunting isn't the same as deer hunting around here, Not as many people do it.

Different cultures, Yes we get over ran with residents and non residents during deer season. Luckily lots of land where I am at.
It's not just a cultural thing in MI and WI....It's that way in many states...probably most of them. In Montana they have separate regulations for people who were born here who move out of state and want to come home to hunt. They don't have to draw like other nonresidents and the cost of the license is about half what it is for other nonresidents.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've never hunted deer in SD but have done a lot of bird hunting there. I have seen some very big deer there. Should be a good hunt.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I remember years ago telling someone to shoot a doe instead of a young buck...

and then he told me we only get buck tags here...
Old 08-27-2018, 10:16 AM
Spike

Love the hills! Certainly no shortage of deer anywhere I go in turkey season out there. I found a really nice 10pt a few years ago. I see mulies and whiteys in the same areas so look carefully before you shoot if it matters to you. Never checked up on deer season in the hills but I would consider giving it a try sometime. Too many other trips on the plate right now.....
Old 09-02-2018, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by tatonka
It's not just a cultural thing in MI and WI....It's that way in many states...probably most of them. In Montana they have separate regulations for people who were born here who move out of state and want to come home to hunt. They don't have to draw like other nonresidents and the cost of the license is about half what it is for other nonresidents.
now that seem the best solution. I'd debate bordering states having a agreement if not cost, but preference drawing. Owning land too.

does the state make more money on tags than bars and such? I had young guy hunting from bordering state. I am in snow belt, not good for deer. Michigan started requiring a base license. Which they say is not small game tag, but you can hunt small game with it, added even more cost. Between that and never getting a buck, he hasn't been up here for awhile.