Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

SD Whitetail rifle tag

Old 08-23-2018, 06:22 PM
car
Typical Buck

Default SD Whitetail rifle tag

I drew one this year, looking forward to hunting SD for the first time.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

Its so weird for me to hear about drawing tags for deer. Where I am from much of our culture is based on deer hunting. Schools close down. Jobs slow down you can't get contractor, people are on vacation. Camps are full of people. Bars are bustling. You just buy a tag at the gas station.

I don't think I would want to give that up, no matter what monster I got ever X years.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:54 PM
car
Typical Buck

I hear ya, it took me 4 years to draw this tag!
Old 08-24-2018, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Berserker
Its so weird for me to hear about drawing tags for deer. Where I am from much of our culture is based on deer hunting. Schools close down. Jobs slow down you can't get contractor, people are on vacation. Camps are full of people. Bars are bustling. You just buy a tag at the gas station.

I don't think I would want to give that up, no matter what monster I got ever X years.
I believe he's talking about drawing a tag as a non-resident in SD, not as a resident.. Non-residents have to draw in Montana as well...
Old 08-25-2018, 01:57 AM
Super Moderator

Where will you be hunting at in South Dakota? One of my favorite states.

-Jake
Old 08-25-2018, 04:41 AM
car
Typical Buck

The Black Hills.

Last edited by Bocajnala; 08-25-2018 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:24 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by tatonka
I believe he's talking about drawing a tag as a non-resident in SD, not as a resident.. Non-residents have to draw in Montana as well...
In MI and WI for whitetail anyone can hunt, you just pay more out of state.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Berserker
In MI and WI for whitetail anyone can hunt, you just pay more out of state.
Yup...some states are like that but in others non-resident tags are limited and people have to enter a drawing for them. From what I've read in Iowa it takes a few years to just draw an archery tag. It's very tough to draw a rifle tag in North Dakota. If some of these states didn't limit the number of non-resident licenses they would be overrun with hunters. Iowa has the reputation for monster whitetails, so if they didn't limit the number of licenses they sold the number of hunters would skyrocket and the quality of the hunting would go down the tubes. Same for places like Montana.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by car
The Black Hills.

Should be a great hunt .Be sure to make a post about it. I plan on hunting the black hills someday.

Probably my favorite motorcycle destination as well...

-Jake
Old 08-25-2018, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by tatonka
Yup...some states are like that but in others non-resident tags are limited and people have to enter a drawing for them. From what I've read in Iowa it takes a few years to just draw an archery tag. It's very tough to draw a rifle tag in North Dakota. If some of these states didn't limit the number of non-resident licenses they would be overrun with hunters. Iowa has the reputation for monster whitetails, so if they didn't limit the number of licenses they sold the number of hunters would skyrocket and the quality of the hunting would go down the tubes. Same for places like Montana.
MI and WI has strong tradition of hunting like I said, It is cultural thing. Not letting people who moved away, come back for deer season, would not go well. Plus there is a lot of money to be made.

We have a lot of people who move between states, own land in both. My camp is not in the state I live in. I get screwed on cost, but I can still buy.

Bear tags are tougher for non resident. only 21 in my zone to non residents, took me 4 years to get 2nd period. But bear hunting isn't the same as deer hunting around here, Not as many people do it.

Different cultures, Yes we get over ran with residents and non residents during deer season. Luckily lots of land where I am at.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.