Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
how many of you honestly tried 4-5 or more rifles >

how many of you honestly tried 4-5 or more rifles

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

how many of you honestly tried 4-5 or more rifles

Old 08-24-2018, 05:25 AM
Typical Buck

I started out with a Marlin lever action in .35 Rem and killed my first buck with it here in Va. Later on I started hunting with a fellow and watched him shoot two does out to 200yds with a .270 while I just stood there next to him watching the shots through my scope as that was way out of my range. He asked me when I was going to get a real rifle so I started looking for a .270. I ended up buying a used Rem 700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag which I thought would be overkill but after 30 years of hunting with it I have never bought another. That is one flat shooting gun and I dont think it kicks very hard at all compared to what I have heard other say. I have only had to adjust the scope on it twice in that many years. I found out later that the Rem 700 was introduced the year I was born, 1962, and the only caliber you could get in it was the 7mm Rem Mag which was just developed then as well. For some reason that just makes me like it even more, if that is possible. I have kept the .35 Rem and plan on shooting a deer with it for nostalgic sake.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

Kick of rifle is very much an opinion. I have never shot a big magnum. But when I got my 45-70 people were going on about that. If you have fired a shotgun or 30-06, it sure ain't going to leave you on your butt, like some seem to say.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator

There is a big difference between certain .45-70 loads. They can be loaded pretty mild or loaded pretty heavy. And you can definitely feel the difference while shooting them.

.45-70 has quickly become one of my favorites to play with.

-Jake
Old 08-25-2018, 05:28 AM
Typical Buck

I am loading 350 to max of lyman for Marlin. Not saying no kick. But not all the much in IMO. I agree you can load mild to wild. Would actually be a good gun for kids or people with shoulder problems, but you would have to convince them.

I do get more muzzle raise. Short 18" barrel? Threw me at first shooting on bench.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:12 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb
yrs ago I would have frimly agreed with this
but after a LOT of yrs have past with folks calling me to buy gun collections and from estates
I found myself with so many guns, I didn;t know what to do with them all, pl;aces to put them keeping track of them, and CLEANING and maintaining them
had/have them spread out in 3 homes now and in the past 5 yrs I have sold off a good 150 or so and still think I have too many!
still cleaning out things I know I will never use, and or really want
but when your offered a bunch of guns cheap its hard to say no to them LOL
and as such, at some point in time, I some how ended up with I way too many guns for any one man I think
I have SO many guns anymore I have never even shot, that its crazy
and again, YRS ago, I NEVER thought I would own a gun I didn;t shoot, never mind a few dozen of them
NOT complaining here, but am confirming it is possible to have too many, guns!
start to become work , and tat that point I think its TOO many!
and NO I have NO plans to GIVE any away! LOL
If you ever need a hand offloading some cheap guns, I still have room to expand my collection and would love to be of assistance....
Old 09-15-2018, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

I just got back from a local range today, I took a neighbor that only owned and previously shot an AR15, I took my 450 marlin BLR, and he was almost totally convinced,
that shooting a large bore rifle like that would result in recoil levels that would require reconstructive surgery after it knocked him into next week!
after watching me closely and, seeing me consistently shoot 1" 50 yard groups off the bench rest and play knocking rocks off the back stop berm, shooting off hand,
, having him slip in my shooting vest with its sewn in PAST recoil pad in the shoulder he decided to try "one shot"
I on purpose pretended to load the BLR in 450 marlin and let him squeeze off "the first shot" on an empty chamber.... yeah, he made a fool of himself when the rifle just clicked.
I pretended to load a second round, with similar results, then I showed him again carefully how to use the sling and hold the rifle, with a live cartridge, he had to admit the recoil was easily manageable.
after he became less apprehensive, he did reasonably well, and could hit a coke can at 50 yards shooting off hand......he even seemed to enjoy the experience, after a few shots.
I load 50 grains of IMR3031 under a 405 remington bullet, thats good for about 1870 fps, and I know for a fact its deadly on deer and elk.
I may or may not have a larger bore rifle convert, but at least hes more knowledgable and less inclined to think all big bore rifles will kick your a$$ with excessive recoil.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SilverbulletM70
If you ever need a hand offloading some cheap guns, I still have room to expand my collection and would love to be of assistance....
actually I have about a dozen of lower end rifles I am looking to bail on now, and a few shotguns, , most rifles are 22 mags, and the shotguns , a side by side 12 ga and a single shot .410 and think a 20 too LOL
also have a higher end first gen single action colt I want to get rid of too

but I tend to prefer face to face sales and gun transfers at time of payments
I honestly have TOO many guns I will never get to and no family that has interest in guns at all
I keep saying I should sell most and all the excessive parts I have, as once I am gone there going to bail on them to any idiot that makes a cash offer they THINK is fair
but I have many that I just cannot seem to bring myself to part with, and that actually is a LOT I don;'t want to see go while I am breathing, not greed, just many I worked hard to find and collect

but I do have several I would let go and not shed a tear over right now too LOL but think your pretty far away for face to face sales! if your in CO and me in PA!
Old 09-15-2018, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mrbb

​​​​​​I'm in PA part time only now.... You need to adopt a son

-Jake
Old 09-15-2018, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Mrbb

​​​​​​I'm in PA part time only now.... You need to adopt a son

-Jake
thanks for the idea, but I don;'t have it in me to do that
and since several of my friends have sons and none of them have any interest i n hunting or shooting, so just cause its a BOY, doesn't mean they will care either! and they all grew up hunting and with guns, but at about 14-15 they lost interest , but still tried! and now in there 20's have zero interest in guns or shooting or hunting at all
times have changed IMO its not like when most of us were kids, and love this sport and shooting , firearms and had/have such a desire for these things.
and I get it, when I was growing up, I could go shoot almost any place and in walking distance of my house, heck could even shoot in my back yard
these days

Geeze's if you did that, cops would be called and TV news would show up
its a different era, will always be those that still have desire, but its a dwindling number IMO
Old 09-16-2018, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

I think Jake is teasing you and at the same time, offering his services.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.