HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Grizzly mistakenly killed by Pennsylvania man in Montana (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/418282-grizzly-mistakenly-killed-pennsylvania-man-montana.html)

mthusker 06-11-2018 03:38 PM

Grizzly mistakenly killed by Pennsylvania man in Montana

Back in May, person from Penn. shot a grizz in Swan Mountains of Montana, thought the 500lb grizz was a black bear, everyone makes mistakes, but this fool will pay dearly for their lack of knowledge.

flags 06-12-2018 04:41 AM

That will be an expensive shot once the final bill is paid. Crap like this is what causes states to begin to require guides and outfitters for non-resident hunters. After all, how many hunters from PA have even seen a grizzly in the wild? In PA all bears are blackies and are legal game. He saw a bear and went bang and this makes all hunters look bad especially with the emotion grizzlies produce with the antis.

Folks always be sure of your target and when in doubt stay off the trigger!

Rob in VT 06-12-2018 05:43 AM

How much is the restitution for a grizzlie?

Muley Hunter 06-12-2018 05:56 AM

Too bad for the bear, but ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. I know some hunters shoot moose in Colorado thinking it was an elk. At least that's what they claim.

Coastal Mountaineer 06-12-2018 06:10 AM

A case like this happened in 2015 and the Wisconsin hunter had to pay Montana around $2300.

Montana requires all black bear hunters to pass a bear identification test. I guess this hunter passed but still got it wrong.

mthusker 06-12-2018 07:06 AM

The test required is a very simple five or six question one, with various pics of a black or grizzly bear, pretty easy to pass. More education is needed, especially for those who do not come from country where both bears can and do reside together. I am thinking $2300 will not be close to what this guy may end up paying.

Muley Hunter 06-12-2018 07:24 AM

It's up to the hunter to do the research on the game they hunt. There are no excuses for this. He should get a big fine and 30days to sit in jail and think about it. Then take his privilege to hunt for a few years. I bet he'll never do it again and it will get other hunters to be more careful and informed.

Just fines mean nothing to those with money.

mthusker 06-12-2018 08:21 AM

Unfortunately, we all know there will be a segment of the population that will be lazy and uncaring to take the time to do so. Here in Montana there have been cases in the recent past that jail time was given. One thing that is a good thing is the compact states have with each other, thus a suspended license carry's quite a bit of weight. With the federal government getting involved, I am sure any fine, can be tripled or even quadrupled in legal fee's.

Oldtimr 06-12-2018 08:37 AM

PA is a compact state, if he loses his privileges in MT he will lose them in PA.

buffybr 06-12-2018 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by mthusker (Post 4336826)
The test required is a very simple five or six question one, with various pics of a black or grizzly bear, pretty easy to pass...

Kind of like the Colorado Mountain Lion test...