Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Maine Moose Results Posted >

Maine Moose Results Posted

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Maine Moose Results Posted

Old 07-19-2018, 03:01 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Zim

No he is a resident and extremely familiar with the zone. He helped me get my 53 1/2” bull next door in NH.
great bull . where in new hampshire? i hunt there quite a bit too
Old 07-19-2018, 08:41 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bikerman9967
great bull . where in new hampshire? i hunt there quite a bit too
It was zone C-2. Hunt got down to the last two days with no mature bull sightings, so we looked and found an active logger, Harold Burlock, and asked for advice. He put me on this bull. Super nice guy. He also returned at midnight with his g/f & 2 boys to to haul out bull on his skidder. I left them a generous tip + dinner at a Berlin restaurant. What I noticed after viewing many other bulls is my bull is very palmated, where the vast majority of the NH bulls tended to carry long tines but tiny palms.

Last edited by Zim; 07-19-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Zim
It was zone C-2. Hunt got down to the last two days with no mature bull sightings, so we looked and found an active logger, Harold Burlock, and asked for advice. He put me on this bull. Super nice guy. He also returned at midnight with his g/f & 2 boys to to haul out bull on his skidder. I left them a generous tip + dinner at a Berlin restaurant. What I noticed after viewing many other bulls is my bull is very palmated, where the vast majority of the NH bulls tended to carry long tines but tiny palms.
awesome. i hunt Berlin up to Columbia for bear. haven't seen a bull moose yet in that area but i haven't been trying either. i know they are there.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:28 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bikerman9967
awesome. i hunt Berlin up to Columbia for bear. haven't seen a bull moose yet in that area but i haven't been trying either. i know they are there.
Most of the bulls prefer the thick 3-5 year old timber cuts. Tough to see in there. I even took a climbing treestand and set up 30' high observation stands over a couple of these cuts. Still more common to hear them but not see them. I got mine in a fairly fresh 1-2 year old clearcut.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:23 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Default Results

Reporting from Maine: Maine moose hunt concluded with a successful harvest on day 4. Not an older bull but recovered quickly. Two other camp friends in the party took ~40” bulls the first & third days. Everyone is happy. I was pleased to take part in a northeast hunt for just my second time. My observation is that most bulls seem to be taken while driving around. Especially near active logging operations. Due to moose feeding on the tops. Overall moose population in unit 1 seems to be on the upswing.

Did Acadia Natl Park with the wife today. Going to nephews hockey games in Lewiston today. Then a visit to another nephews in Boston before returning home.

Last edited by Zim; 10-01-2018 at 05:48 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

We need some photos Zim.

Congrats to your camp

-Jake
Old 10-01-2018, 05:51 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Yes, when we return home. Tried to load a few directly off iphone but had issues. This site is not real photo friendly. Still got a few stops to Shapleigh, Boston & Columbus. Plus Valpo to see my new grandson who arrived while I was at moose camp.