Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
New revenue streams for Colorado >

New revenue streams for Colorado

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

New revenue streams for Colorado

Old 06-05-2018, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Alsatian
txhunter58:

Maybe it won't be so bad as you think. Many markets exhibit price point sensitivity, and I bet hunting licenses are one of these. Looking at Colorado hunting licenses across the board -- not just applications for coveted trophy areas -- I'm guessing supply and demand are closely matched right now. If increased price drives down demand, over supply will exist -- which means unsold license opportunities. Would that happen? Only time would tell the tale. What are the economic effects of, for example, fewer elk licenses sold? Potentially diminished revenue for CPW . . . but also diminished revenue for hotels, restaurants, etc. I don't think they can willy-nilly jack up the price to any figure they like without suffering diminished demand.

But that is just my opinion, and I have no monopoly on the truth.
There are already 30,000 less Colorado NR hunters due to increased prices. The current round of price hikes I would put down as smart marketing: $10 for a Habitat fee and $40 for a preference point, $20 application fee, etc. doesn't seem so bad by themselves, but when you add them all up...........

I know that western hunting is expensive any way you slice it, but just hate to see more people being priced out of the "market". Would hate to see hunting reduced to supply and demand, and it is headed there

Just got my YES email on an elk tag for this fall, and I can pretty much afford the tags regardless of price, but know a fair amount of guys that have just had to say enough!

Last edited by txhunter58; 06-05-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

LOL...with the new system, I failed at all my draws. Tags that I used to get easily every year. Nice going DOW. Way to screw the residents.

I might go for an OTC bull tag for 2nd season if they can manage to get the repaving done before fall on the Cottonwood Pass. It was closed all of last year too. 2nd choice will be to get lucky with a leftover tag but i'm not holding my breath on that one.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Won't really know for a while how the new system affected the normal draws. But certainly, the 0 point units have the most to lose. My nephew and I were both able to draw E/S muzzy elk tags with 0 points.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

They added 50 bear tags to my unit from 200 to 250 tags and I still missed it. It's always gone to a 2nd pick before. I failed with a 2nd pick and 50 extra tags. A buck tag that i've gotten the last 5 years I failed this year.

Yes, the system is hard on zero point units but when you're a resident and want to hunt every year those are the units you go for. I put in for units that are hard to hunt they're so steep. Well, good luck to those who got my tags if they're not in shape.