Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Wildlife refuge sign causing confusion. >

Wildlife refuge sign causing confusion.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wildlife refuge sign causing confusion.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:51 PM
Spike

Default Wildlife refuge sign causing confusion.

So I was out scouting Paulina unit in Oregon today, just in case my draw is successful and was looking at places that had been recommended to hunt. This is my first elk hunt and first time in this unit. ONX showed it was all Deschutes national Forest. I was getting ready to park and hike around when I saw a sign that said "national Wildlife refuge, no hunting, no shooting"
So I left and went outside the "Newberry National volcanic Monument" and scouted a secondary location.
​​​I got home and looked online( US forest service, Deschutes national Forest ) for this wildlife refuge that was posted and found nothing.
​​​​​​It wasn't listed and a map showing the refuges across the country showed nothing in this area.
If I read it correctly hunting is allowed on refuges as log as you follow state hunting licensing regulations.
I will be checking Tuesday with Oregon fish and wildlife and the US forest service. But if anyone else has some insight please share.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most refuges allow hunting if you have the proper tag and license for the area. If the place exists then you can look it up online and get the actual info for the place. Every refude has a website.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:21 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
Most refuges allow hunting if you have the proper tag and license for the area. If the place exists then you can look it up online and get the actual info for the place. Every refude has a website.
That's why I was a little confused. Because I couldn't find anything or any website. Just the national monument website which gave no details.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

https://www.fws.gov/refuges/refugelo...ps/oregon.html

The above site shows all the NWRs in Oregon. Look at the map and see if one is in the area you're talking about. It very well may be named something else. than Deschutes. I'm not familiar enough with OR to k now where you are talking about.