Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
First hunt, first big game, first bear >

First hunt, first big game, first bear

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

First hunt, first big game, first bear

Old 05-17-2018, 06:25 PM
Spike

Default First hunt, first big game, first bear

Hey everyone,
New member here.
Names Brent, 27, from Bend, OR
This last week I went on my first ever hunt and it was for spring bear with my step dad Doug . I have been bitten by the bug.
Since I saw my first bear on day one I was hooked, It was followed by 2 days of snow, rain, fog and wind. We couldn't even see 100 feet in front of us. Day three was a beautiful day with wind so we hiked down into the canyon we were at and sat for 9 hours and saw nothing but a few elk.
Day 4 was perfect, Sunny and calm winds. We went to a different spot hiked out onto a rock and after like 5-10 minutes of glassing Doug spotted a beautiful cinnamon bear about 1100 yards as a crow flys. Made a game plan and I side hilled it over to where we spotter the bear. Took about 45 minutes to get over there. Doug stayed put and keep an eye on the bear and updated me as I made it over.
I was in the last draw when he told me the bear went into the brush and he lost sight. So I made it up to the top of the spur and peaked over, the bear was gone... But no movement on the other side of the brush. So I waited awhile to see if the bear would show. After a good amount of time Doug came on the radio ( with an earbud) said try throwing a rock to the other side of the brush see if it will make the bear move.
I grabbed a rock and started standing up and the bear was about 25 yards away just munching on onions. So I grabbed my rifle but had no shot because a small rise in some rocks between me and the bear.
I moved to that rise of rocks to get a good shot, hoping I would not alert the bear. Slipped even and to my suprise she was oblivious.
I quickly lined up the shot and fired.
She wasn't a mature sow but a beatutiful color and for being my first hunt, I was proud to fill the tag.
I am trying to attach a photo but computer isn't letting so I will post one from my phone.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:46 PM
Spike

Image was to big to uplaod in first post. here it she is
Attached Thumbnails First hunt, first big game, first bear-bear.jpg  
Old 05-17-2018, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats. Wish we had spring hunts here.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:48 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Berserker
Congrats. Wish we had spring hunts here.
Thansk,
Spring Bear here is controlled
Fall is an OTC tag
Old 05-18-2018, 02:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Nice going, great story and thanks for sharing. Congratulations.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on a nice color phase bear and great hunt.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your first big game animal is one you will never forget. I shot my first deer, a fork horn mulie, when I was 9. That was many decades ago but you will still never convince me that that buck wasn't the finest deer killed in the entire state that year. Well done and I hope you have many more successful hunts in the future.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats to you, and a very nice color phase bear there too!
Old 05-19-2018, 05:39 PM
Spike

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm really looking forward to being apart of this forum and learning what I can and also contributing. I'm hoping to draw my elf tag for October and share my process of what worked didn't work for me.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:39 AM
Spike

Sounds like a great stalk and a fun way to do it for your first time. Welcome!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.