Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Gear-Buying Strategy for Backcountry Hunting? >

Gear-Buying Strategy for Backcountry Hunting?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Gear-Buying Strategy for Backcountry Hunting?

Old 05-08-2018, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's great advice, rogerstv.

Should I also be concerned about the way the fabric itself moves while making a "draw" motion? I tried on a Browning BTU jacket the other day, and it seemed to bunch up around the chest in a way that looks like it would be in the path of the string.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I suppose. But, I suspect the string will tend to crease the fabric. Bunched up fabric should not provide a catch such as a sewn seam. The culprit in my learning experience was the corner of the flap covering the pocket. So, I look to avoid "hard" corners and edges that will catch the string. A lot of female target archers wear a chest cover on the string side. I believe no archer wants/needs anything adversely affecting the string upon release.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt with a large day pack that is mostly empty, and pack game with an aluminum frame similar to the method used by Rob in VT (above). The only time I take a large pack bag is when I am setting up a spike camp or hunting on the move with just a sleeping bag, food, and water. I spent much of my misspent youth backpack hunting the Rocky Mountains for elk and/or mule deer and I have packed quite a few out. When you do buy a big pack pay close attention to the weight of the empty pack. The large internal frame packs do balance the load better on steep slopes but I need an external frame to carry heavy loads without getting too soaked with sweat from the pack hugging my back.

I like my outer shell clothing to be just a bit loose. Sometimes it gets so blasted cold that I end up wearing a bulkier insulating layer than planned.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since my goal is to work toward a rig that'll allow me to set up spike camp in the backcountry for up to a week (instead of setting up a base camp to which I'd return each evening), it seems like based on what you said, Big Uncle, that the internal frame pack may be the way to go. The new Cabela's pack I linked above clocks in just under 8lbs., which is actually less than their Prestige and Minimalist pack frames. I suppose one's got to pay $400 more for an internal frame that weighs 5lbs. or less.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Update: I found some excellent deals at the Cabela's Bargain Cave in Acworth, Georgia and got my jacket set-up all good to go.

For my insulation "puffy" layer, I got a Cabela's Backcountry Packable SuperDown Jacket with Primaloft for $108 (normally $199). Packs into its own pocket, which is amazing.

The real amazing deal for my rain "shell" layer was a Sitka Downpour for $115 (normally $329). It was half off sale price---the reason it was probably not picked over was because it's actually sized a women's large, and was on the rack with women's clothing. But it fits me (6'1", 165 lbs) perfectly, and the down jacket fit under it, comfortably.

The Cabela's down jacket feels better than I ever imagined it would, after seeing it online some weeks ago; and I honestly never thought I'd be the owner of a Sitka jacket, because of price. But the Lord's most unmerited favor was with me, today.

I'm attaching a picture of the Cabela's down jacket and will post the Sitka one in another comment; can't post both.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cabela's Down Jacket
Attached Thumbnails Gear-Buying Strategy for Backcountry Hunting?-img_7014.jpg  
Old 05-26-2018, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sitka Downpour Jacket
Attached Thumbnails Gear-Buying Strategy for Backcountry Hunting?-img_7020.jpg  
Old 05-26-2018, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

And here's how small the Down jacket packs
Attached Thumbnails Gear-Buying Strategy for Backcountry Hunting?-img_7023.jpg