Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Best States to Go Moose Hunting >

Best States to Go Moose Hunting

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Best States to Go Moose Hunting

Old 04-21-2018, 09:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Northern New England used to be pretty good but tags were hard to get in the lotteries. The winter tick problem is really dropping the numbers down in Vermont and they really cut back on the tags given out. IMO they will be closing the moose hunting in a year or two here in Vermont to try and get the numbers back.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Northern New England used to be pretty good but tags were hard to get in the lotteries. The winter tick problem is really dropping the numbers down in Vermont and they really cut back on the tags given out. IMO they will be closing the moose hunting in a year or two here in Vermont to try and get the numbers back.
Same thing in NH. My wife is from there and I put in for many years. The tags are so limited now I don't even bother and like VT I expect NH to close the season completely due to the tick issue.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by flags
Same thing in NH. My wife is from there and I put in for many years. The tags are so limited now I don't even bother and like VT I expect NH to close the season completely due to the tick issue.
Yes Northern NH and North East Vermont are about the same type of terrain... big woods and used to be plenty of moose. I love to still hunt those big woods for deer.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Yes Northern NH and North East Vermont are about the same type of terrain... big woods and used to be plenty of moose. I love to still hunt those big woods for deer.
I want to do that some day. But now that I tech HS full time it is hard to get away for any length of time during deer season and when I can I tend to head for my native CO to chase mulies or elk. Someday I want to do deer and bear up in your region.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
But now that I tech HS full time it is hard to get away for any length of time during deer season and when I can I tend to head for my native CO to chase mulies or elk.
That's the one thing that stinks about being in education (as I am, being a grad student and a teaching assistant). You get so much time off in the summer, but that about coincides with almost no hunting seasons to speak of.

It worries me to think that, Lord-willing when I get a teaching position at a university somewhere, I am unlikely to get to go on a road trip hunt out West.

On the other hand, that first job (these days, aspiring college professors don't get to choose where they end up) could always come out West. Then I might only have to drive a couple hours to get to get to some backcountry, instead of a couple days.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Youngun ,

A little off topic but.... Be picky while you can be. I jumped at the first "real" job that I was offered after college. I ended up in an area I didn't like doing a job I didn't like. I suffered for about half a year there before deciding to hit the reset button and improving my situation. I ended up having to take a different job not in my career field for about a year and having to explain the "failed" first job in all subsequent interviews.

I've been in my career field now since 2013 and love what I do and where I do it. But, If you can be picky... wait for the right fit and the right location.

Think of it this way. It's better to go be miserable and work at a pizza shop(Or wherever) for six months now than to pick the wrong location and job and spend the next 30 years wishing you'd picked something else.

If I didn't have family and land where I'm at now, then I would have ended up in WYO or MT. But the family and the investment we have into the land here kept me in Ohio/PA area. Gotta weigh what is important to you.

But, don't be in a rush to land that first paycheck. Make sure it's a good spot for you and you future. If I was a single guy without family ties keeping me then big game hunting would definitely play a part in my decision making process. It's allot easier to hunt 2 hours from your house than it is to hunt 24 hours from your house!
-Jake
Old 04-27-2018, 07:18 PM
Spike

Getting a tag is very difficult in Montana. What makes success for the hunt even worse in this region is the drastic impact being felt in the moose population from the expanding wolf packs. Moose in some parts of MT and ID have been reduced to a fraction of what they had been in the 80's and 90's. Better odds would likely come in areas not having a significant wolf population....
Old 05-26-2018, 05:15 PM
Spike

Alaska, no question. Tons of public land and over the counter, or easy to get draw tags. The largest of the moose subspecies as well.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:48 AM
Spike

The moose is the largest game animal in the United States. Hunting moose has become an increasingly popular challenge. Moose Hunting in Alaska is by far the best state for hunting. After that you might look at Idaho and Washington.
Have a Successful and Safe Hunt!
Old 06-04-2018, 12:06 PM
Spike

Anyone have any intel on moose hunts in the Yukon? I know you need an outfitter and they are among the priciest. I’m just trying to figure out which outfitter to go with. Thanks