Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Best States to Go Moose Hunting >

Best States to Go Moose Hunting

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best States to Go Moose Hunting

Old 04-08-2018, 09:02 PM
Spike

Default Best States to Go Moose Hunting

The moose is the largest game animal in the United States, and as management practices have allowed the population to grow, hunting moose has become an increasingly popular challenge.

According to me, Alaska is by far the best state for moose hunting. Second place belongs to Maine, and after that you might look at Idaho and Washington. Moose hunting is expensive wherever you go, costing thousands of dollars and sometimes exceeding $20,000. Permission to hunt moose is usually alloted through a drawing. Applications must be made months in advance, and it may take years before you win a chance to hunt.

Please let me know which is the best states for moose hunting according to you guys.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Which ever one you can get the tag for!
Old 04-09-2018, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

If you have the money... Wherever you can get a tag! And go now, don't wait. You're not guaranteed tomorrow.

If you have to play the draw game, then apply as many places as you can afford and hope to get lucky and draw before your time is up.

-Jake
Old 04-09-2018, 09:27 AM
Dominant Buck

I see them frequently in the mountains of NE Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine where I have often deer hunted. Pretty cool animal but IMO not much of a challenge to hunt. Normally when deer hunting I can walk in on them quite easily. Not bad taste as table fare but at least from my experience is often kind of tough as compared to deer.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:20 AM
Fork Horn

Not to detract from the posts title (best States to hunt moose in), but I would have to expand it to where include provinces in Canada also....)
I would then qualify it by hunting for trophy size or success....
Newfoundland has a huge moose population, with success rates in the high 90s....I cant think of any other area that offers that. It is easily accessible, guaranteed licenses, and very affordable. I am returning for my 2nd fly in one on one hunt this fall, before tips/ butchering fee, 6000.oo That includes license, fly in and out, guide, of course food, etc. They work very hard to earn your money, and going to Canada with a gun is a breeze.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will be making my 4th trip to Newfoundland this September. 1st for moose, other 3 were Caribou. Dave is correct, one of the largest concentrations of moose in the world. They have a bad rap for “small” moose. Mainly because locals want meat and many first time hunters shoot the first legal bull they see. There are some really nice bulls there, even 50”+ bulls. Certainly not the size of their Yukon/AK cousins but not the $20k price tag either.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

Best state or best province can be subjective depending on what a person wants out of a moose hunt. For me personally it's about the area (how scenic and wild it is), the size and number of moose present, and being able to drive there and get the moose home. For me, British Columbia is hard to beat. The scenery is unbelievable, the moose are big and there are very good numbers of them, and I can drive there and get a moose home. There are small lakes in B.C. that haven't seen a hunter in years and years. Most moose in Northern B.C. away from roads have never seen a human. It's still a fair amount of money, but considerably less than Yukon or Alaska. If I lived back east I'd be looking at Newfoundland even though the moose there are considerably smaller. In British Columbia most moose taken on outfitted hunts average over 50". On the lake I hunted in B.C. several have been taken in recent years over 60". In Newfoundland from what I've seen, a 50" moose is pretty hard to come by. They kill some from time to time, but not many. I personally think going to Newfoundland with the hope of killing a 50" plus moose is unrealistic.

I'd love to hunt moose here in Montana, but I've been putting in for 40 years and can't draw a tag. I just read an article in "Traditional Bowhunter" about a fellow who drew his 4th moose tag here. I have a problem with our laws that allow someone to draw 4 tags when most of us never are able to draw one.... It needs to be changed and I'll be talking to our local representative on the F&G board about that.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:18 PM
Spike

I do agree with you Tatonka. It is actually depend on the person. We should go on those areas where number of moose presents.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am partial to Maine because I am from Maine most likely.. Alaska would surely be a nice place as well. I do know a couple of people who have also hunted New Hampshire and was successful. I am not sure about Vermont but have seen a few on some posts elsewhere from there. Out west from what I have heard and read about the wolves keep the moose numbers down somewhat and some areas that used to hold moose do not have them there at all anymore. That is just what I have heard and seen on some postings. The wolf problem is huge in some areas.. New Brunswick is also a great area and from what I understand Newfoundland is great hunting for them..
Old 04-21-2018, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

It sure wouldn't be Colorado with the points it takes to get a tag.

I'd go to Alaska if a moose was my goal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.