Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
have you ever been really impressed with a friends rifle... >

have you ever been really impressed with a friends rifle...

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

have you ever been really impressed with a friends rifle...

Old 03-02-2018, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Default have you ever been really impressed with a friends rifle...

have you ever been really impressed with a friends rifle...decided to buy a similar rifle only to realize it was not as ideal or impressive as your first impression?
obviously we all have different requirements and experiences,and each of us will like or appreciate different things.
Obviously my choices may not match your criteria, or aesthetic values.
back in about 1967 one of my hunting buddies purchased a marlin 444, he made some very impressive, shots and it seemed to drop deer like thors hammer,
after I purchased a similar rifle and used it for a dozen plus years, I was less impressed, and while that 444 marlin, performed well, and and after I had the time to compare it to a very similar marlin in caliber 45/70.
Well at least too me I was much more impressed with the 45/70's performance and after several decades, of using both occasionally, on hunting trips, ,
over about 30 years of hunting with the marlins,
I purchased a browning BLR , in caliber 450 marlin,
I sold both the marlin's ,
the 444 a few years after I bought the 45/70 marlin,
that as I felt that was a big improvement over the 444,
and the 45/70, was sold eventually as I felt that the 450 marlin caliber BLR, was a big improvement over the marlin 45/70.
the BLR was the noticeably superior choice,in my opinion, as it was the most accurate Id found and had a stronger action.
btw in that 450 marlin BLR, 50 grains of imr 3031 over a 215 fed primer and using a 405 Remington soft point has proven too be exceptionally effective.

Last edited by hardcastonly; 03-02-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nope, can't say that I have.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

No to the question.
Now that you have the BLR in .450 marlin, have you ever considered a Ruger #1 in 45-70. Since you reload, the Ruger can handle more pressure for the round and not having a tubular magazine-like the marlins,anyway, you can use bullets w/better BC's of form.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Ive been looking for, and really wanted, a stainless/laminated ruger #1 in 458 lott at a decent price for about 10 years, ever since one of my buddies bought one at a local gun show for $900, he loves his, I reload for him, and no he refuses to sell his.
every time I have the cash I either can't locate one, or theres a family crisis that used all the saved cash
given a choice that would be my next rifle

Last edited by hardcastonly; 03-03-2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:04 PM
Typical Buck

No, I have never been so impressed with a friends rifle that I went out and bought one for me.

However, in the late 70s the only centerfire rifle that I owned was a 30-06. My hunting partner gave me a .30 Gibbs case and I thought that case looked so cool that I had my .30-06 rechambered to .30 Gibbs.

My intent for that .30 Gibbs was primarily for elk, so at that same time I built a .257 Ackley for deer and antelope and a .22-250 for varmints. I chose those cartridges reading P.O. Ackley's books.

Some years later the landowner where I was hunting watched me make a 300 yard bang-flop kill on a mule deer buck and he then had his own .257 Ackley built.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Certainly a thought provoking and interesting thread.

My direct answer to your question is "no".

I've purchased a .22-250 rifle due to a couple friends. But, the only similarity is the caliber. We all reload and we all use different components.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't sold a rifle since 1972.

I do have an old Model 70 in .308, always shot MOA. Shot a buddy's Steyr and my groups shrank to nearly half that. I bought my own Steyr 69, on a good day I clover leaf a three shot group. My Steyr shoots great, but that sucker is a brick, weighs 9+ pounds, over ten loaded, sling and bi-pod. I'm back to using my Model 70 again, mostly.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I remember a cousin had a 25-06 browning with that boss system back in the day, it was touching holes at 200yds, I was jealous,

eventually got a 300 win mag boss, which shoots great, but I doubt I'll ever again get a muzzle brake on a rifle.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I used to have a William Evans double rifle in 450/400 3 1/3 Nitro Express and I currently have a Mannlicher Schoenauer Model 1903 in 6.5x54MS. Both of those have or in the case of the double did, cause some drooling at the range.