Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
anyone else really pissed at the ever increasing licence fees >

anyone else really pissed at the ever increasing licence fees

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

anyone else really pissed at the ever increasing licence fees

Old 02-01-2018, 02:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is part of the equation, however, the rest of it is the continued rising costs of everything for the game agencies.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:14 PM
Spike

Flags, don't forget FL has Osceolas and that's where they make a few extra bucks from us NR's.....but don't take that as a complaint, $125 isn't a bad cost if your working on the slam.
I also want to add that I like the way this thread is going, you need to pay to play, if you don't like what your state has to offer or charges, look into hunting elsewhere.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

yeah we in florida, have turkey and wild hogs in huge numbers, in some areas and a great deal of public land
theres no real challenge getting hogs with almost any weapon, and a decent shot won,t go more than a couple days without turkey hunting the better areas
hogs can be hunted year round in some areas

http://myfwc.com/media/1380222/huntingwmamap.pdf

Last edited by hardcastonly; 02-01-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Gotta pay to play.

And there's no chance of the prices dropping anytime soon.

-Jake
Old 02-02-2018, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll play the game, but I wonder if I'll ever be priced out of playing.

My big problem is that residents and non-residents, non-res pay anywhere from 8-40x what a resident pays for the same tag.

I think the multiplier should be capped at 8-10x and honestly 1-2x would be fair/ideal IMO.

Everyone will say they pay taxes....so they get a discount in their home state, and my view is we all pay our local/state taxes, it would be nice not to subsidize other hunters in other states.

If a resident can't pay $1,000 for a Sheep, Moose, Goat tag, once in a lifetime tag/hunt, then they shouldn't be applying, again just my opinion.

Also when a resident pays $40 for a bull elk tag or even less, and the non-res pays over $1000, you're telling me we can't meet more in the middle?

Not sure non-res justify being jerks but if were both chasing the same animal/area/water hole, and I'm paying 1000 and you're paying 40? I think this might give some non-res the attitude that they should get the right of way. Just some food for thought.

While I doubt res will ever pay the same tag fees non-res pay, just imagine if residents had to pay those fees...? I bet less than 10% of residents would even bother applying anymore. Odds would go way up!

Every state is different and has to manage their herds accordingly, but I think seeing a cap multiplier would be nice, 5-10x seems reasonable in most cases.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think it is a crackpot idea. Not you, the idea. The last thing we need is another federal law telling the states how to run their affairs.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

How are you subsidizing my hunting? There is A LOT of expenses associated with NR hunting that you are taking for granted. P.S....NR getting right of way...hmm, maybe this explains why a handful of times a year, I will come across a rig with out of state plates, sitting just over the rise, in the middle of the road, checking out something.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

While I doubt res will ever pay the same tag fees non-res pay, just imagine if residents had to pay those fees...? I bet less than 10% of residents would even bother applying anymore.
I don,t think a lot of the politicians and game department's fully appreciate the full economic impact, or amount of money that INDIRECTLY gets fed, into that economy with the out of state hunter , coming into the state to hunt, in car/truck fuel, food car/truck rentals,motel, restaurant,super market, guide service fees,and miscellaneous purchases or is MISSING into the states economy when the license fees get raised to the point that guys just decide to skip hunting, in that particular state, because of the licence cost, I doubt I've ever spent less than $2400 on a weeks elk hunting, and spending $3k plus on a hunt, is very common, keep in mind theres usually three or four guys on any hunt, we either drive out in two trucks or fly in and rent two 4x4 trucks, motel fees restaurants, local sporting goods stores, also benefit, so just our little group will very easily spend at least $6-$8 k in a week in, lodging, fuel, food, guide fees etc. the state and I doubt we were unique in spending that volume of cash, hunting..
in most case the licence fee is not the major expense , but it certainly has a pronounced effect on what states tend to be considered by guys planing to hunt, out of state.
I generally spend several thousand dollars a year on hunts and several years I found I could because of almost overlapping, or consecutive dates, hunt one state, then as that season closed drive to a second state, to hunt the following week.
Colorado, Montana , Idaho, and Wyoming frequently have consecutive dates.
dumping $3-$4 k would be the minimum and several years that would be exceeded by a significant margin,but as those licence fees rise most guys limit the areas and eventually just don,t bother at some point, as the financial cost keeps climbing.
if you are faced with lets say a $600-$700 combo deer/elk hunt licence cost most guys fully accept they will spend 3-4 times that minimum, over that money, spent on licences, on a hunt, but once the licence cost has climbed much higher I see lots of guys in my elk hunt club just decide to hunt deer in some other location , like DEER IN NOVA SCOTIA https://novascotia.ca/natr/hunt/pdf/...klet_Sept7.pdf

its not that most guys are CHEAPSKATES, they will be very willing too spending thousands on any hunt, , they just want VALUE for the money
ID also point out that statistically most hunters most years do not succeed so they spent all that cash on a failed chance to collect game, yeah they may have had a memorable vacation and enjoyed it, but they did not really do much more than boost the local economy, in the process.
most hunters in most states have about a 1 in 4 chance of success.

think about that, statistically if you spent only $2k per hunt, youll spend near $10K statistically before you score on every elk

Last edited by hardcastonly; 02-04-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by salukipv1
I'll play the game, but I wonder if I'll ever be priced out of playing.

My big problem is that residents and non-residents, non-res pay anywhere from 8-40x what a resident pays for the same tag.

I think the multiplier should be capped at 8-10x and honestly 1-2x would be fair/ideal IMO.

Everyone will say they pay taxes....so they get a discount in their home state, and my view is we all pay our local/state taxes, it would be nice not to subsidize other hunters in other states.

If a resident can't pay $1,000 for a Sheep, Moose, Goat tag, once in a lifetime tag/hunt, then they shouldn't be applying, again just my opinion.

Also when a resident pays $40 for a bull elk tag or even less, and the non-res pays over $1000, you're telling me we can't meet more in the middle?

Not sure non-res justify being jerks but if were both chasing the same animal/area/water hole, and I'm paying 1000 and you're paying 40? I think this might give some non-res the attitude that they should get the right of way. Just some food for thought.

While I doubt res will ever pay the same tag fees non-res pay, just imagine if residents had to pay those fees...? I bet less than 10% of residents would even bother applying anymore. Odds would go way up!

Every state is different and has to manage their herds accordingly, but I think seeing a cap multiplier would be nice, 5-10x seems reasonable in most cases.
Each state sets the liceses how they want and what the market will bear. It doesn't really matter what you want, what matters is what the residents of the individual states want to be done in THEIR states.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:55 PM
Spike

I agree with a lot of what's being said on both sides and the bottom line as it's been stated previously is "you got to pay to play". It's all about personal choice (ie: I have friends that will drop hundreds of dollars to go to a professional sporting event or concert and those events usually only last a few hours......personal choice).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.