Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunting Canada

Old 01-25-2018, 07:52 AM
Spike

Default Hunting Canada

For you yankees who have hunted Canada, is there any problem bringing meat over the border? What about getting hunting rifle in, and back out?
Old 01-25-2018, 07:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

You have to get a permit to take a gun into Canada, I think it is 50.00.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Permit for rifle. No big deal. They mostly just want your money. Meat is no problem as well. You'll have a form to fill out at the border. Must be boned out. You can bring antlers and skulls, but they must be scraped clean of all meat and tissue. If you have ever had a DUI or any other serious criminal offense, you had better make sure you can get across the border. I know of guys who have booked a hunt in Canada and had to turn around and come home and they forfeited everything they'd paid for the hunt.

"Yankee"? I'd sooner be called just about anything but.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

I have hunted in Canada numerous times, the most recent was last September.

Oldtimr is right, you now have to buy a $50 non-resident permit for your gun.

You also MUST GET a US Customs Form 4457 (free) from a US Customs office BEFORE you leave the US, or you may not be able to bring your gun back into the States.

If you are flying into Canada with a firearm, it must be UNLOADED in a separate hard sided locked (NOT TSA LOCKS) container. If bolt action, the bolt must be removed, AND you must have either a CABLE LOCK through the action or have a TRIGGER LOCK on the trigger. Ammunition MUST be in cartridge boxes in a locked container (with TSA locks) and in a separate CHECKED bag.

I have not had any problems bringing meat, capes, or horns back from Canada. At US Customs, you will have to fill out US FWS Form 3-177 Declaration For Importation of Fish or Wildlife. Make sure that ALL meat and brains are cleaned from any skulls.

Air Canada charges you for extra baggage for your firearm, AND they charge you a "handling fee" for your firearm.

If you are flying home with antlers, the airlines charge oversize baggage by both weight AND volume, so unless you want to have your antlers scored by B&C or SCI you are better off splitting your antlers and "nesting" them together, then well pad all the points. (On my recent Caribou hunt, I wrapped all of the points in cardboard AND then bubble wrap. I used two rolls of clear wrapping tape.)