HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Anyone else notice the Lack of the ole '06 in the latest Cabelas shooting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/416997-anyone-else-notice-lack-ole-06-latest-cabelas-shooting.html)

REM_7600 01-23-2018 10:56 PM

Anyone else notice the Lack of the ole '06 in the latest Cabelas shooting

Anyone else notice the Lack of the ole '06 in the latest Cabelas shooting Catalog in the rifles?

Creedmore this, Creedmore that...

No worries I have a couple of '06's that really like the loads I've worked up. One even shoots quite well with Plain Green and Yellow CoreLokts.

6.5CM appears to have outpaced the short and effective 7mm08!

Nothing wrong with the .308 or .300WinMag either in the right rifle I was just surprised.

Just my opinion, I believe there's too many WW's out there now that THINK they can shoot past 500 yards just with a reloading manual.

It takes a chrony, accurate range judging, perfect target placement, lack of wind and crosswinds, a dead solid rest, and pretty good concentration. I've taken just 2 animals beyond that distance and it was luck on #1 but DRT (conditions were PERFECT and a strong rest and 10 minutes of waiting) with a .338WinMag and the second at a ranged 563yds that took 2 rounds to anchor properly. (call me a hypocrite if ya like but I've reloaded since I was 10 and I'm UHHHH OLD now)

I'd be interested to hear other thoughts... My choice of rounds is now the 7mm-08 for whitetail/Mulies, .338WM for Elk, '06 for an IN CLOSE whitetail rifle. The .300WSM is also a KILLER cartridge but I don't use it as often as I used to.

REM7600

hardcastonly 01-24-2018 07:03 AM

When I started hunting I carried a 760 rem in 30/06, on the advice of several experienced mentors, it worked great, but I was under the impression, that I needed a magnum caliber as the first couple elk I shot failed to instantly fall over when hit,
I upgraded to and I have mostly carried a 340 wby mark V or a sako 375 H&H carbine,
these did not kill any better but you darn sure got a more noticeable reaction when you hit game! (they became my trusted companions for decades.)
I have had a remington 7600 in 35 whelen as a shared hunting camp back-up rifle available on many of the trips to hunt elk, and its saved the hunt for several guys over the years when for various reasons their rifle stopped functioning.
the more experience I got the less I worried about the rifle being used, simply because Ive seen everything from a 257 robert's BLR to a 458 win ruger single shot, used successfully, to kill elk.
I personally trust, and prefer to carry the .338-.375 caliber rifles , but Ive seen that anything from .257 to .458 works if the guy carrying its knows how to use what he has in his hands.
I've just seen too many elk and big mule deer killed very dead with a 257 roberts, 6.5mm swedish mauser , or 308 win, to think you need a magnum, or guys using a
444 marlin, 45/70 or 458 win to think you need the flattest trajectory available

hunters_life 01-24-2018 11:27 AM

My old man killed more elk and moose with a .30-06 than with anything else. Even took a few with a little .30-30. A magnum rifle is only better for ranges outside of where 99.9% of hunters should be shooting anyway. He had a few magnum rifles but rarely took them hunting. He could bang a 16" gong at 1000 yards with 2 of his model 70 06's so I really don't think someone could kill an elk any deader at 500 and in with any magnum. I like the 06, always have, but I carry an old model 70 sporter in .300wm. I love that old rifle and I'm deadly accurate with it which is the key thing.

REM_7600 01-24-2018 06:56 PM

Then WHY "guys'" does it appear major vendors are veering from the cartridge?

Agreed with everything above...

BTW: the "backup .35 Whelen available" :-)

REM7600

buffybr 01-25-2018 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by REM_7600 (Post 4326918)
Then WHY "guys'" does it appear major vendors are veering from the cartridge?

REM7600

Marketing. They want to sell more guns.

hardcastonly 01-25-2018 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by buffybr (Post 4326978)
Marketing. They want to sell more guns.

thats a huge part of the firearms market,but the main factor is that if the manufacturers , did not constantly come out with new products to push as the latest and greatest ever designed it would take only a couple years before anyone interested in owning a firearm could have purchased one or two. and the market would be drastically reduced in size.
my dad had a 10ga ithaca double and a winchester pump 22 lr and never felt the need to buy anything else.
(always having something, being promoted as NEW,BETTER, to sell new guns)
from a pragmatic view, I think most of us could reasonably select 6-8 cartridges used for hunting and rifles that handle those 6-8 cartridges and handle almost any hunting on the planet ,
now you might not pick the same 6-8 that I would,
but if I was limited to your selection or you were limited to using my choices I doubt you would have any less success, based on the head stamps on the cases. does anyone think they would be forced to stop hunting if these were your only choices in ammo for rifle's /shotguns

example
22lr
223 rem
25/06
30/06
340 wby
378 wby
458 lott
12 ga

REM_7600 01-28-2018 11:42 AM

Agreed - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I guess I'd even pare it back even further... but I think you guys' are right "SALES".
  • 22lr
  • 223 rem
  • 30/06 Sprng
  • 338 WinMag
  • 375 H&H
  • 12 ga

That said, I love the 7mm-08, .300 WSM, and am not speaking ill of anything mentioned in any prior post. Most of the above are just for availability of ammo everywhere. I might even sub in the .300 Win Mag or 7mm Mag for the '06.

I just can't believe they are trying to "phase it out" in quality rifles but continuing to offer it in budget models. What's 1 more caliber in a list of 5 available? I guess it's Ammo Sales!

REM7600

GOOD OLE BOY 01-28-2018 02:36 PM

Myself I,ll never own a metric labeled cartridge under any circumstance.What really gets my goat is that this so called great crapmore cartridge is basically the renamed 30TC that deserves all the credit.

MudderChuck 01-28-2018 03:07 PM

People forget that ammunition is a world wide market. 6.5 is the legal minimum diameter for most European major game animals.

.260 Remington, 6.5 creedmoor. 6.7 and others were likely designed with this in mind. That and ballistic coefficient, some bullets depending on diameter, tail shape and ogive shape just fly better.

Bocajnala 01-28-2018 07:25 PM

A big local store that puts out regular sales magazines has two entire pages dedicated to Creeds.....

-Jake