Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Looking for hunting buddy to travel and go on hunting trips. >

Looking for hunting buddy to travel and go on hunting trips.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Looking for hunting buddy to travel and go on hunting trips.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:52 PM
Spike

Default Looking for hunting buddy to travel and go on hunting trips.

This may sound weird, but read on and I'll explain. I'm looking for a person or persons who enjoy taking hunting trips yearly. I lost my friend and hunting buddy in a car accident and now have nobody to accompany me on these hunts. It's hard to find like minded people willing to spend the time and money to go on hunts. I book trips yearly for North American big game, I'm not a rich man but I'd rather vacation on a hunt than on an island. If you're interested in finding someone to join you on hunts as well, let me know we might be able to help each other. I am 44 years old and have been hunting since I was a young boy, I grew up hunting in southern Michigan and I currently live in southern Arkansas.

Last edited by Snipertype73; 12-29-2017 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Questions asked by members
Old 12-28-2017, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

I'M sure it would help if you posted the city and state you live in, as I'm reasonably sure anyone wanting to spend a week hunting out of state would rather try meeting you and hunting locally first to get a good idea of how you get along first.
(yeah, I lost my hunting partner of 30 plus years when he had a heart attack) so I know how it feels to loose a close friend you hunt with (at his job not on a hunt)

Last edited by hardcastonly; 12-28-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:21 AM
Fork Horn

I feel your pain .. such a hard thing to find ..It seems to have to happen naturally .. I've lost all my hunting friends over the years (my cuz , dad , good friends ) luckily my new wife will at least travel w/ me. where r u from??/ live?
Old 12-30-2017, 05:17 AM
Fork Horn

When I went on my first paid hunt, my outfitter recommended and encouraged me to go the same week as some folks from my area, which I did. We got along great, and stayed friends long after (and still).
You may inquire with outfitters you hunt with about doing the same...scheduling with folks in your area, which is a great way to meet folks.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

I do most of my hunting by myself, however on some of my guided hunts I have been with other hunters.

This past season I hunted Caribou in Québec. There were 12 hunters in camp, and I met several of them that I would share a hunt with anytime.

On one African hunt that I was on I met a Canadian hunter that I would happily share another hunt with, and then another year I wouldn't wish the other hunter in camp a goodbye at the end of the hunt.

Especially on high dollar and international hunts, you need to know and be comfortable with your hunting partner(s) BEFORE you go on the hunt.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've always been very careful who I hunted with. I went with my father on several trips to Africa but after he couldn't go any longer I made other trips solo. The only hunter I ever was around that I literally could not stand was a guy from NJ that was a last minute add on to a group bear hunt in BC. I nearly came to blows with him several times and the outfitter threatened to load him up and take him back to town with no refund due to the way he treated the camp staff, guides and other hunters. He was a real piece of work but since he was from NJ it wasn't surprising to the other hunters who were all from either CO or TX.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

This is getting off the subject a bit, but I've met a couple guys on guided hunts who were complete jerks that I would never hunt with.... Most, however, have been the opposite. One guy on a moose hunt wouldn't even get out of the boat and tie it up...the guide had to crawl past him, tied the boat up, and then help the guy out of the boat. Back in camp he wouldn't lift a finger. On top of that he was extremely arrogant and sarcastic. Nearly got in a fight with his guide one evening when the guide had finally had enough and called it like it was... Another guy in camp when I was on a caribou hunt was one of those guys who wouldn't shut up...he knew everything about everything. After I killed my caribou one of the guides let me tag along while this jerk tried to fill his tag....he wouldn't even carry his own gun...the guide had to!! The guy couldn't keep up and we had to continually stop and wait for him to catch up (and we weren't walking very fast).

On the flip side, I was in camp with an elderly gentleman who was just a wonderful fellow... 80 years old and when I killed my caribou he pitched in and helped lug the quarters to the boat, etc.. He was very quiet and humble...come to find out he'd hunted in pretty much every country in the world and this was his 9th caribou hunt!!! But he never mentioned any of it unless you asked him. Hunted with another fellow who was in a wheelchair... Great guy and never once complained (and he killed two nice bull caribou...one from a boat and one from a 4-wheeler). I also hunted elk one time with two great guys that were in camp at the same time...

Back to the original post.... I mostly go on hunts by myself because I have to stop and pee a lot. And yes, it's hard to hunt with someone you don't know....especially if the hunt requires a long drive together, etc.. Like I said....I have to stop to pee a lot...
Old 01-02-2018, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by davidg
I feel your pain .. such a hard thing to find ..It seems to have to happen naturally .. I've lost all my hunting friends over the years (my cuz , dad , good friends ) luckily my new wife will at least travel w/ me. where r u from??/ live?
I guess no response means you found somebody
Old 01-13-2018, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

if you spend time at any local outdoor 100 yard or longer rifle range, you can rather easily strike up a conversation with the guys you observe that seem to be the type of people you see, and start up a conversation with,that you personally,
feel comfortable talking to about hunting and rifles, and maybe past hunting trips, once you get to know them better you might broach the subject of meeting regularly at the range and possibly going on local hunts, well before you actually start plans for a much more extensive time and cash intensive, out of state big game hunting trip, where you might be spending a good deal of time together, or dependent on some guy you don,t really know that well.
youll certainly want too weed out the guys that are not willing to help set up camp, back pack out each others game, and share expenses way before you make an expensive out of state big game hunt together.
finding a hunting partner is a time intensive process and your not going to find the ideal partner easily, my last hunting partner I had for 30 plus years had a wife that was a total bitch, she saw hunting trips as a plot for him to get out from under her thumb/control for 10 days a year (SO DID HE TO TELL THE TRUTH)
but he would pull his weight, and we would both share all work and expenses equally.
Yes we all make mistakes and your sure to find guys that talk a great game but won,t lift a finger to help around camp or help dress out or pack out your elk yet expect you to help with transport and care of theres, or agree to share gas and other expenses equally but once on the trip don,t do crap.
youll also want to get a detailed written list of what is expected in shared expenses, chores, and an agreement that any truck you rent gets fully insured or break-downs on the trip expenses will be equally shared.
stupid disagreements can cause hard feelings, I remember on one trip we got a damaged tire and one of the five guys on the trip did not want to chip in on the cost of the new tire (because he was not driving when it happened) obviously that was the last trip he was allowed on in our club

Last edited by hardcastonly; 01-13-2018 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:09 AM
Spike

Default Love to talk

I' m often traveling and hunting.