Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Shooting Positions for Big Game >

Shooting Positions for Big Game

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Shooting Positions for Big Game

Old 11-14-2017, 02:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Most of the game I have taken in PA have been either from the standing/offhand or sitting position. I have even taken a few using the opposite shoulder while sitting. On the other end of the spectrum almost all of the game I've taken out in the western states were from a prone position. So it is as you said. It depends on the terrain and the situation.
The most important thing to do is practice from all positions. I'd love to have all my shots taken from the prone or sitting positions but it just doesn't happen. Kneeling is good too but not on moving game. Then about the only position is offhand. And if you don't practice it you shouldn't take the shot. The animal deserves proper bullet placement.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

bronko22000 Wrote:

So it is as you said. It depends on the terrain and the situation.
The most important thing to do is practice from all positions.

bronco echoed it - I'll 3rd or 4th it, whatever we're on.

I'd like to elaborate some:

Know your ability and limitations! You get this from practice.

Over the years, I've done specific practice alone or with some buddies at the range. I've entered internet postal shoots, Fun range events, Real competitions, even tried some trick shots at the range (sometimes 1st lucky - don't try it 2nd time). All this helped me both learn about my rifles, their triggers and improved my shooting ability.

Practice sounds too much like work. But, Getting involved with target shooting opportunities as they come up is FUN, too.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:29 AM
Spike

always prone with bipod or over backpack
Old 12-08-2017, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Like somebody else said, it depends on the terrain, style of hunting, etc. I like to still hunt. For this year, there were no cattle on the ranch and the grass was tall. Anything but standing didn't clear the grass so I used standing with a bipod I carried. Sometimes I was near a tree but most of the time I wasn't.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Off hand or leaning against a tree.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

my first elk was shot while I was standing and leaning the rifle over a large tree branch, the most of the rest were shot from a sitting position or prone with the rifle over a back pack rest, and one shot offhand as it ran by at under 30 feet.
I can,t remember many shot at over 200 yards most were closer, one reason why I think the need for super flat trajectory is very over stressed
and probably why I see very good success with the guys using 358 win, 35 whelen and 450 marlin rifles

Last edited by hardcastonly; 12-28-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

Prone when possible. Tree grip second. sticks if you can "stand" to carry em around.

prone is often tough in almost any terrain.

REM7600

PS one of your best offhand shooting tools is a dry stick thrown upstream in a river or creek with a safe back ground - this oughta pea some people off but if it does, I don't mind.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

I try to make most shots at game, while sitting using a sling, with a 13"/27" harris bi-pod
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/22...iABEgKZZvD_BwE
I constantly practice shooting both sitting and standing, for many, shots are taken, sitting using a sling, no bi-pod, but several were taken ,standing shooting offhand while using a sling.
I can generally hit most shots more than 70%-80% in a coke can size target,shooting offhand, with a sling out to about 100 yards,( hitting a 3.5"-4" circle)but cut that group size in 1/2 sitting with a sling, and a bit better still with a sling and bi-pod.
most of the game I've shot has been dropped at under 250 yards and mostly in thicker timber or narrow canyons, where ranges are generally not excessive

Last edited by hardcastonly; 03-12-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

Its about impossible for me to remember all the shots that I've taken at game in over 50 years of hunting, but ifthe vegetation and terrain allows it, my first choice is a prone position, and, if possible, prone off a solid rest.

Next would be sitting, and again with a rest, and with a sling. I often carry 3 legged trigger sticks with me.

On African hunts I've learned to shoot standing, off sticks and I like the 3 leg sticks the best.

I have shot some animals offhand, but they were relatively close shots in thick brush where there wasn't time to get in any other position.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:30 AM
Spike

According to me, there is no “best” hunting shooting position for all situations. Each position has strengths and weaknesses and it is up to the hunter to choose the position that allows him or her to take the most accurate and ethical shot. I use Standing Shooting Position many times. It allows me to see over all but the tallest grass, brush and gives the best field of view. Unfortunately, the standing position is also the least stable shooting position. However, this is not really a problem when shooting at very close range (<50 yards). I personally do not like to take a shot past 50 yards using an unsupported standing position.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.