Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Which Binos??

Old 11-07-2017, 10:20 AM
Spike

Default Which Binos??

So I’d like to surprise my husband with binoculars. He currently doesn’t have any and I’d like to get him something he’ll actually like (for once! Haha) what are the best for hunting? Specifically deer I guess since that’s his upcoming trip. I’ll spend anywhere up to $500 if they’re awesome but I’ve seen some that are around $300 with better reviews than $500 so I honestly don’t know now. Please help
Old 11-07-2017, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

What type of binocular is he wanting? Compacts? Range glassing? Standards? For example, my wife really couldn't get me any set of binos I'd "actually like," as you put it, because I don't like binos for deer or coyotes. When I'm deer/coyote hunting, I have a 7x range finder and use a 15-45x spotting scope for anything I can't see with the RF. With the LRF, I wouldn't ever use a set of compact binos, and I do my range glassing with spotting scopes. In the middle, I just don't have much use for "standard" binos. Your husband might be the same...

If looking for a "standard" bino... Bushnell Legend M series 10x42 will deliver anything the Vortex Viper 10x42 can, but at about 1/2-2/3 the price. Lots of guys love to bash Bushnell because they can be a little clunky on design and execution, but the brightness and clarity are fantastic (glass quality and coatings).

There's nothing "wrong" with the Leupold, Nikon, or Vortex in that price range, but for the money, you get more product value out of the Bushnells.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:36 AM
Spike

Haha more complications. Dang! Well, I don’t believe he has a good scope but he’s always talking about wanting a good pair of binos so I’m really not sure? I suppose I could just get him a good pair and he can exchange for whatever. I didn’t want to get too much info out of him without giving it away I was getting him a pair.

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
What type of binocular is he wanting? Compacts? Range glassing? Standards? For example, my wife really couldn't get me any set of binos I'd "actually like," as you put it, because I don't like binos for deer or coyotes. When I'm deer/coyote hunting, I have a 7x range finder and use a 15-45x spotting scope for anything I can't see with the RF. With the LRF, I wouldn't ever use a set of compact binos, and I do my range glassing with spotting scopes. In the middle, I just don't have much use for "standard" binos. Your husband might be the same...

If looking for a "standard" bino... Bushnell Legend M series 10x42 will deliver anything the Vortex Viper 10x42 can, but at about 1/2-2/3 the price. Lots of guys love to bash Bushnell because they can be a little clunky on design and execution, but the brightness and clarity are fantastic (glass quality and coatings).

There's nothing "wrong" with the Leupold, Nikon, or Vortex in that price range, but for the money, you get more product value out of the Bushnells.

Last edited by Reviewsforhusband; 11-07-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think an eight power Nikon Monarch 5 or Nikon Monarch 7 are hard to beat in their price ranges for general deer hunting. The Monarch 5 will probably cost somewhere around three hundred dollars and the Monarch 7 will cost another hundred or so.

Nikon also makes a Prostaff line (less expensive), but the Monarch line is my choice in your price range.

To my eyes it would take nearly double the Monarch prices to get anything better.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:55 AM
Spike

Thanks! That was one of them I was looking at.

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I think an eight power Nikon Monarch 5 or Nikon Monarch 7 are hard to beat in their price ranges for general deer hunting. The Monarch 5 will probably cost somewhere around three hundred dollars and the Monarch 7 will cost another hundred or so.

Nikon also makes a Prostaff line (less expensive), but the Monarch line is my choice in your price range.

To my eyes it would take nearly double the Monarch prices to get anything better.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Zen Ray has some nice great value options.

Depending on the hunt... something like 8x32 are nice or 10x42
Old 11-07-2017, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

I've used a bunch of different binoculars over the years on hunting trips all over the world.

A couple of years ago I bought a pair of Nikon Monarch 5 in 10x42. I see no reason to look at anything different.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:38 PM
Dominant Buck

I have that model too and have used it under all kinds of weather. Always works well.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

My favorite binos are Leicas but you won't get them for less than $1500. In your price range Nikons would get my nod.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

In general, something 8 or 8.5 x 42 is a good size for deer hunting. I'd have to agree with everybody else on brands. Does your hubby ever go to a larger gun store. If so, you could always go with him and wander into the binocular section and start looking through binoculars. Then see what he looks at and/or talks with a sales person about. Or if he has a hunting buddy, see if he knows what he'd like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.