Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

First time mule deer hunt

Old 10-28-2017, 07:19 PM
Spike

Question First time mule deer hunt

Hello all!

Hunting mule deer is something that's always been on my bucket list, but its kind of hard to do in North Carolina. I'm wondering if anyone had to pointers on what states are the easiest to get tags in, should I look for an outfitter or try to DIY, what outfitters have y'all used if any? Any help would be greatly appreciated
!
Old 10-28-2017, 08:48 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by BuckBuster51
Hello all!

Hunting mule deer is something that's always been on my bucket list, but its kind of hard to do in North Carolina. I'm wondering if anyone had to pointers on what states are the easiest to get tags in, should I look for an outfitter or try to DIY, what outfitters have y'all used if any? Any help would be greatly appreciated
!
The number one thing to increase your odds of success is acquiring 1-2 preference points. This will enable you to draw a tag for a much better area than you will hunt with 0 points thereby making a DIY hunt with high odds for success possible. Colorado and Wyoming tags are all draw. Nebraska has OTC Muley tags and some heavily hunted public land in the NW part of the state.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:35 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by granby guy
The number one thing to increase your odds of success is acquiring 1-2 preference points. This will enable you to draw a tag for a much better area than you will hunt with 0 points thereby making a DIY hunt with high odds for success possible. Colorado and Wyoming tags are all draw. Nebraska has OTC Muley tags and some heavily hunted public land in the NW part of the state.

Thank you for advise! I've always been told the southeast part Colorado has some REALLY nice mule deer but pretty hard to get tags for. I have a few friends that elk hunt around Gunnison, unit 54 I believe. I've seen some pictures of several huge bucks!
Old 10-29-2017, 04:54 PM
Spike

Thank you for advise! I've always been told the southeast part Colorado has some REALLY nice mule deer but pretty hard to get tags for. I have a few friends that elk hunt around Gunnison, unit 54 I believe. I've seen some pictures of several huge bucks!
Most of SE Colorado is private so that would require an outfitter for access and the better units will require 5-18 points. The gunnison basin is out of reach for deer for 10+years especially with last years winterkill and huge tag reductions.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:11 PM
Spike

It sounds like you know a great deal about Colorado! What are some other states I should look into? Any ideas?
Old 11-02-2017, 06:31 AM
Spike

It sounds like you know a great deal about Colorado! What are some other states I should look into? Any ideas?
Colorado is tops for mule deer and good hunts are available for 1-2 points. Other states include Wyoming, Montana, Utah and Idaho it really depends on what type of hunt you're looking for.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:03 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by granby guy
Colorado is tops for mule deer and good hunts are available for 1-2 points. Other states include Wyoming, Montana, Utah and Idaho it really depends on what type of hunt you're looking for.
I would like to rifle hunt the first time, not really set any particular state. I don't mind waiting a year or two to accumulate a few points,if it helps me hunt a little better area.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

you can MOST times draw a tag on a an Indian reservation hunt on the FIRST TRY!
as most I know of do it on a first come first service like deal
so IF you apply the EXACT day the open, you tend to get the tags
MOST reservations all for either guided or NON guided hunts too.
I tend to do what I call SEMI guided hunts, I hire a guide to show me where boundary lines are and where I can and CANNOT hunt, and then go do it myself
and I do it this way as many of the reservations don't have very clear marked boundary lines, and fines for NOT being on right area's can be BIG
good news is they have tens of thousands of acres you CAN be on.
YOU can then also try and time things and put in for a STATE tag, and possibly turn a hunt into a two buck hunt if your lucky enough to draw a STATE tag in there lottery's!

Most reservations also have EITHER or tags, so that opens the odds up on hunt leading to a kill, as if a HUGE whitetail come out and your willing, you can KILL it , or wait for that mule deer you REALLY wanted,
to me its just a NICE option to have when your traveling very far(about 1700 miles for me to get out there 1 way)
and then pending when you time your hunt, you can add other things to your hunt, pronghorn, upland game, waterfowl(things to do if you tag out early I call them)
plus most hunts allow for many different type of weapons, so if you want to bow hunt, or rifle , or muzzleloader, you can! most hunt happen during the rut too, or can be weeks ahead or after if you like, they tend to have rather LONG seasons in my experience!
I highly recommend looking into Indian reservation hunts,
SD might be your closest with mule deer and good odds IMO!
Old 11-03-2017, 04:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb
you can MOST times draw a tag on a an Indian reservation hunt on the FIRST TRY!
as most I know of do it on a first come first service like deal
so IF you apply the EXACT day the open, you tend to get the tags
MOST reservations all for either guided or NON guided hunts too.
I tend to do what I call SEMI guided hunts, I hire a guide to show me where boundary lines are and where I can and CANNOT hunt, and then go do it myself
and I do it this way as many of the reservations don't have very clear marked boundary lines, and fines for NOT being on right area's can be BIG
good news is they have tens of thousands of acres you CAN be on.
YOU can then also try and time things and put in for a STATE tag, and possibly turn a hunt into a two buck hunt if your lucky enough to draw a STATE tag in there lottery's!

Most reservations also have EITHER or tags, so that opens the odds up on hunt leading to a kill, as if a HUGE whitetail come out and your willing, you can KILL it , or wait for that mule deer you REALLY wanted,
to me its just a NICE option to have when your traveling very far(about 1700 miles for me to get out there 1 way)
and then pending when you time your hunt, you can add other things to your hunt, pronghorn, upland game, waterfowl(things to do if you tag out early I call them)
plus most hunts allow for many different type of weapons, so if you want to bow hunt, or rifle , or muzzleloader, you can! most hunt happen during the rut too, or can be weeks ahead or after if you like, they tend to have rather LONG seasons in my experience!
I highly recommend looking into Indian reservation hunts,
SD might be your closest with mule deer and good odds IMO!
That's a great idea! I'm gonna do some research! Thanks for the advice!
Old 11-03-2017, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default Western Mule Deer

My only advice is to take either a .270 Win or .25-‘06 on your muley hunt.

Nothing better than using traditional Western cartridges for poppin’ your cherry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.