Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

First time mule deer hunt

Old 11-04-2017, 04:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by seattlesetters
My only advice is to take either a .270 Win or .25-‘06 on your muley hunt.

Nothing better than using traditional Western cartridges for poppin’ your cherry.
So you're saying my 7mm Rem Mag which has taken a huge number of mulies shouldn't be used on mulies? Nor should the good old 30-06, which predates both the 270 and the 25-06?

As to the OP, good mule deer hunts can be had in a number of western states. I am a CO native but now live in TX. My nod would go to CO for mulies but I have also taken them in WY, MT, UT, and NE. It really comes down to what you want and when you want to hunt. Different states have different season. It may also be worth your time to look at the TX panhandle. They take some really good mulies there by Amarillo but you would have to be guided since it is private land. I believe the going rate for mule deer hunts there are about $3500.

One piece of advice for a first time mule deer hunter is don't expect a monster with a 30 inch spread. Such deer have never been common. The spread on the ears of a mulie is about 22 inches so if a buck is carrying 4 points to a side and is wider than his ears then I'd shoot it if it was my first hunt. Such a buck makes any whitetail look small since the rack will probably be as tall as it is wide. Big old mossy horned deer of any species don't come around that often no matter what the magazines say.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:31 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by seattlesetters
My only advice is to take either a .270 Win or .25-‘06 on your muley hunt.

Nothing better than using traditional Western cartridges for poppin’ your cherry.
I've had a few people tell me that! I would to buy a new rifle, but it is a pretty good excuse to tell the wife...
Old 11-04-2017, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

I'm putting in for Wyoming preference points. I'm going to build up enough to draw a good unit. And go for a big one when I finally go.

I don't hunt for antlers with whitetail. But I'd like a big muley someday.

-Jake
Old 11-06-2017, 05:19 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
So you're saying my 7mm Rem Mag which has taken a huge number of mulies shouldn't be used on mulies? Nor should the good old 30-06, which predates both the 270 and the 25-06?

As to the OP, good mule deer hunts can be had in a number of western states. I am a CO native but now live in TX. My nod would go to CO for mulies but I have also taken them in WY, MT, UT, and NE. It really comes down to what you want and when you want to hunt. Different states have different season. It may also be worth your time to look at the TX panhandle. They take some really good mulies there by Amarillo but you would have to be guided since it is private land. I believe the going rate for mule deer hunts there are about $3500.

One piece of advice for a first time mule deer hunter is don't expect a monster with a 30 inch spread. Such deer have never been common. The spread on the ears of a mulie is about 22 inches so if a buck is carrying 4 points to a side and is wider than his ears then I'd shoot it if it was my first hunt. Such a buck makes any whitetail look small since the rack will probably be as tall as it is wide. Big old mossy horned deer of any species don't come around that often no matter what the magazines say.
Thank you for the tips and advice! I plan on taking my 300 win mag, it a rifle I'm very comfortable with. I would to hunt CO one day, I'm gonna start buying preference points this year. Maybe in a few years be able to go again.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

I went to Wyoming last week with my Uncle, Mom, and brother. We each got a buck. Mine and Mom were Mule Deer and brother was whitetail. My uncle did not draw a general deer tag( first time since he has been going since 1989). We go to Cody Wyoming. Tons of deer and are everywhere. Highly encourage you to check it out. Plenty of public land and Mulies are not really hard to get, they are actually pretty dumb. Check out my write up my post. Will be lengthy but stories are what we enjoy.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
I didn’t say anything about what shouldn’t be used on Mulies.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BuckBuster51
I've had a few people tell me that! I would to buy a new rifle, but it is a pretty good excuse to tell the wife...
I’m always looking for an excuse to buy a new rifle. You already have a .300 Win Mag .... both a .25-‘06 and a .270 Win are “different” enough that you just might get away with it. :-)

While lots of calibers and cartridges can do the job, nothing screams “Mule Deer!” to me quite like a .25-‘06 or .270 Winchester. Classic Western cartridges, by all means. Either would make the experience for an Eastern hunter just a little bit cooler.

I’m planning to take a 6.5 Creedmoor on my next combo Mule Deer / Elk hunt next season. I just need to get an accurate load worked up using a bullet I like for both critters. If I don’t, I will probably take the .25-06 or .270 Win.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:21 PM
Typical Buck

257 Weatherby Magnum is a great all around gun for the west. From Antelope, whitetail or Mule deer, elk, and bear you can’t go wrong! That’s what I used and really the only rifle I use besides my 6.8 for hogs at night back at home in Florida. I would highly recommend that caliber! I reload my ammunition. Yes, some factory round are expensive, but reloading helps with that cost dramatically. I have a Remington 700 CDL SF. Shoots wonderful!