HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Who has hunted Big Bears (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/415764-who-has-hunted-big-bears.html)

Bocajnala 10-01-2017 12:28 PM

Who has hunted Big Bears

Who has hunted any of the big bears? Tell us about your hunt.

My dream hunt would be a brown bear in Alaska with archery gear I think. Although that's way out of my realistic price range.

Anyone hunt the big bears? Let's hear about it!

-Jake

hunters_life 10-01-2017 12:44 PM

I've taken a few both hunting and unfortunately in defense. I can tell you straight up Bocajnala, if you go after one with archery gear, make sure you have someone with you with one or the other of 2 things, a good 12 gauge loaded up with slug, 00 buck, and slug or, slower running legs. You are looking at anywhere from 600-1400 pounds of muscle, claws, and teeth and a whole lot of rage if hurt. I'll probably take a bit of heat for this statement but it's just a plain fact, anyone purposely hunting a brown bear with a bow has much more testicular fortitude than intellectual content.

Bocajnala 10-01-2017 01:00 PM

[QUOTE=hunters_life;4317218]I've taken a few both hunting and unfortunately in defense. I can tell you straight up Bocajnala, if you go after one with archery gear, make sure you have someone with you with one or the other of 2 things, a good 12 gauge loaded up with slug, 00 buck, and slug or, slower running legs. You are looking at anywhere from 600-1400 pounds of muscle, claws, and teeth and a whole lot of rage if hurt. I'll probably take a bit of heat for this statement but it's just a plain fact, anyone purposely hunting a brown bear with a bow has much more testicular fortitude than intellectual content.[/QUOTE]

I'll accept that. That hunt is out of the realm of possibility for me currently just due to the price tag on it. I can dream though. Did your father take any of the big bears, I seem to remember him mentioning them a few times.

-Jake

hunters_life 10-01-2017 04:45 PM

He used to. He also had the same misfortune as I of having to kill 2 that were intent on ripping him apart. I believe he took 5 or 6 actually hunting them. A couple of them he used his favorite .30-06 and the others I believe he used one of his .300wm rifles. He never was a fan of magnum rifles. But he always said "when you are after something that would just as soon kill you as look at you, there aint no such thing as too much gun". I think he actually took one with one of his .500NE doubles. I was just a little guy when he quit hunting bears of all kinds so it's a bit hard to recall. He didn't really like bear meat all that much, neither did I, but some of our family really enjoyed it so he hunted them primarily for them. Same for me when I hunted black bears. When we moved to PA, none of them were around so we didn't hunt them anymore. Neither one of us were ever much for trophies. I have a few whitetail and elk mounts, one whitetail right next to the back door that I use for a hat rack. Hung it there after dad passed and we moved in to his house for mom. Cracked her up when I hung old bucky there with 12 hats hanging off him.

Berserker 10-01-2017 08:32 PM

I would like to hunt something could kill me. But just quick googling, made me wonder if that would ever happen.

While I somewhat commend using a bow, it does seem foolish. Sure people did it. Sure people died from infection before peniciln.

Maybe I am wrong, and tons of people do it. If you shoot it, without it knowing you are there, it may just wander off and die.

To be clear, I am speaking from my bowels, with no experience.

YTCLT 10-02-2017 04:21 PM

If big bears mean brown, and they are big, then ignore this post. If big can mean black bears to you then I've done that in Canada. Saskatchewan to be precise with a guide by the name of Rob Nye. He runs remote camps that are baited hunts. Mine was a spring hunt. He did a great job, and basically worked his tail off to make it successful. I met Tom Nelson from American Archer was in camp shooting a segment, which was also cool (great guy). I will go back and hunt with Rob again. These bears get to the 500 lb range, I suppose a bit bigger, but they sure look big. He only runs archery hunts, so it is up close and personal. I shot mine at probably 15 yards. I've read black bears aren't hard to kill and while my shot was true I found that to be true...went 60 yards. Best part...he doesn't charge a fortune. I felt like it was well worth the price, which as I recall was about $3000 for the week. Not free, but given the quality of the outfitter, the accommodations and the number of bear, it was well worth every penny.

hunters_life 10-02-2017 09:39 PM

YTCLT, I assumed he meant the big browns. While I most certainly wouldn't want either one of them to get a hold of me, I do believe I would have to tip the hat at the browns when it comes to archery gear. I've taken quite a few black bear over the years with just about everything you can legally hunt them with back when I hunted them. And you are correct, black bears are fairly easily dispatched. Browns on the other hand, unless you get a spinal disconnect, are not the easy prey that their smaller cousins are.

YTCLT 10-03-2017 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by hunters_life (Post 4317358)
YTCLT, I assumed he meant the big browns. While I most certainly wouldn't want either one of them to get a hold of me, I do believe I would have to tip the hat at the browns when it comes to archery gear. I've taken quite a few black bear over the years with just about everything you can legally hunt them with back when I hunted them. And you are correct, black bears are fairly easily dispatched. Browns on the other hand, unless you get a spinal disconnect, are not the easy prey that their smaller cousins are.

Exactly right. I have never hunted brown bears, only black. Brown bears are a totally different deal based on what I’ve seen and read!

kellyguinn 10-03-2017 11:01 AM

I would like the chance to take a black bear let alone a brown. Plenty of whitetail and turkeys here but we are lacking in the bear, mule deer and pronghorn aspect. Maybe one of these days I'll have the funds and time to venture out lol.

Jake if ya ever get out after them browns I better see the story here ;)

salukipv1 10-03-2017 11:34 AM

Vancouver Island Black bear, 2 bears, spot and stalk, great hunt, didn't shoot until days 6 and 7 of 7 day hunt.

Missed a chance at a monster on day 4 or 5? was young, inexperienced, but still took 2-7 footers, close to B&C skulls but shy.

Would love to hunt a big Brown in Alaska. When I day dream it's which rifle.... 375H&H vs. 340 Wby.