Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

1st Bear Steak

Old 09-24-2017, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default 1st Bear Steak

Ate my 1st bear steak. Over cooked it due to paranoia. It was well done. Would have been better at 160F. By the time I took it off, it kept on climbing to 195F.

It's really no different than beef taste wise. The piece I had was lean. The butcher trimmed it pretty well.

Next time I will try for a lower temperature.

6 minutes on the grill per side.
I usually do 3 minutes for my Elk steaks.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

Since I started using my thermoters my cooking has gotten better. Though sometimes hard to do with thin steaks. Though it sounds like you did not have a problem measuring.

Since I have started cooking my venison less, it has gotten alot better.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

It's definitely a learning process. Especially since I am NOT a chef by any means. The BBQ is my best friend.

The roasts & stew I'll leave to a real chef.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

I dunno. I find roasts are simple, and get to much credit. Not to say mine can't be improved on. Chuck them in a nesco, or crock pot and walk away.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

Paranoia from the thought of getting Trichinosis? I killed my first black bear three years ago and read up on that so made sure I used a therm. to ensure I did not infect my family. I forget now what the internal Temp had to be for it to be safe. I did a loin roast for Christmas and it was ate before the Ham! I assume most bear hunters are already aware but I have not been around much bear hunting. Finally had a chance at a boar during muzzle loader season.