HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Bored with pronghorns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/415597-bored-pronghorns.html)

Big Uncle 09-17-2017 11:07 AM

Bored with pronghorns

I go through this every few years but currently I am bored with pronghorn hunting. I just returned from another successful Wyoming hunt where I took a good goat but did not feel the excitement of hunting big game at all. Spot, stalk, shoot, pose for photo without major challenges just did not do it for me this time.

Pronghorns seem like semi-big game to me right now. A good sport for new hunters,old folks, or youngsters. Probably (hopefully) by this time next year I will be excited about hunting them again.

flags 09-17-2017 12:44 PM

Try using a pistol or muzzleloader. Or you could try spot and stalk with a bow.

wyomingtrapper 09-17-2017 08:55 PM

Bow hunting antelope is a blast. Have you shot a Boone and Crockett buck? Up your standards and it'll make the hunt more challenging.

Bocajnala 09-18-2017 12:03 AM

I go through this every few seasons with whitetail too. As the others mentioned... Add something to make it more challenging. Use a different tool, or (in the case of whitetail) try to target a specific animal or specific size of animal to make it more challenging.

I also find I helpful to just step away and focus on other types of hunting sometimes. For me that's squirrel and rabbit typically.

-Jake

CalHunter 09-18-2017 06:09 AM

Sounds like you have some new hunting challenges.

Big Uncle 09-18-2017 12:14 PM

This year I limited myself to 100 yards or less for a buck and a doe. A bit of crawling was necessary and not all stalks were successful. I gave up my turn to shoot at a buck that we could not get close to, so my buddy shot a nice 83"+ pronghorn. I do not much care about score. Given the choice I would rather shoot an old animal that a big one, but I do have a couple of B&C racks on the wall.

I am assuming that everyone that suggested a different hunting method uses those methods extensively themselves. Best of luck to you fellows that want to use your bow, handgun, slingshot, boomerang, etc. I am principally a rifle hunter with the exception of whitetails with a bow.

Tomorrow may be different but today I am bored with goat hunting.

Alsatian 09-20-2017 08:26 AM

Maybe you should try hunting a different animal? Do-it-yourself elk hunting just below timberline from an elk camp back in the woods?

My preferred hunting the last decade has been DIY elk hunting at 11,500 feet in SW Colorado. I'm not a trophy hunter. This hunt is challenging in various ways, most particularly the physical effort involved. It has many rewards in addition to the desired killing of the animal -- camaraderie in elk camp with my partners, beautiful high mountains, the pleasure of a traditional elk camp with a wood stove heating a canvas wall tent. When I get too old for this -- I'm 61 now -- I'm giving thought to returning to pronghorn antelope hunting. Or maybe I'll just try to bring younger people along to hunt and sit back in camp rather than hunting myself.

Big Uncle 09-20-2017 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Alsatian (Post 4316182)
Maybe you should try hunting a different animal? Do-it-yourself elk hunting just below timberline from an elk camp back in the woods?

High country in Colorado is beautiful and the hunting is thrilling to me. I have taken at least 40 elk and many of them came during backpack hunts in SW Colorado. My time with a heavy backpack at over 10,000 feet of elevation has passed, but I still chase elk at lower elevations with a daypack.

Mule deer hunting is fun and even the old whitetail still lights my fire. My desire to hunt pronghorns is cyclical and it is currently at it's low point. Maybe after the long Winter is over I might be raring to go again, but maybe not.

Bob H in NH 09-20-2017 11:58 AM

That reply is exactly why I am jealous of you western guys :-)

Bored with pronghorn? Ok, go for mulie, or whitetail or elk or ....

Here, I get, ummmm whitetail, or nothing :-)

Been pronghorn once, loved it, going back in 2018, talk about fun!

Big Uncle 09-21-2017 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH (Post 4316222)
That reply is exactly why I am jealous of you western guys :-)

I am also a resident of the Eastern USA. I enjoy the travel and make a few annual tips to hunt different places for different game.

Although I have hunted in Colorado and Wyoming quite a bit for many years (sometimes both in the same year) I am still a non-resident, Eastern dude, outsider, tourist, and interloper to the good people that live in those beautiful states.