Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Rifle types?

Old 09-09-2017, 04:12 AM
Spike

Default Rifle types?

Hello there!
I have an odd question for you all. I don't have experience with hunting styles except for PA and MD whitetails. I am thinking of purchasing a new rifle for some possible out west mountain hunting. I am not understanding why some people strive for a light weight short rifle and other say the perfect hunting rifle is a Long range rifle that seem to weigh twice as much. I am looking into the standard 300 Winmag. If you were to choose one type either Lighter weight(standard) rifle or the special Long range for the money? I don't see why for hunting the extra Bull barrel and weight will make for better accuracy at long range that a one shot same caliber standard rifle will not do?
Old 09-09-2017, 05:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am not even sure what you are calling a special long range rifle.You did not say what animals you want to hunt out west nor do you say what ranges you are expecting to shoot. However, you don't need to carry a rifle with a bull barrel and a lot of weight to make accurate shoots. Choose the caliber you want to use that is appropriate for the animal you want to hunt. I have not hunted out west but I am sure if you provide the information I mentioned that is not in your post there are many folks here who have hunted out west who will help you
Old 09-09-2017, 05:24 AM
Typical Buck

IMO the current fad of long range (500+ yards) shooting of big game animals is shooting not hunting, and done on TV mainly to sell a product.

I have lived and hunted most of my life in the west. I am a fan of bolt action rifles, and most of mine are just under 10 pounds, loaded and with a sling. I don't hunt with an attached bipod. Almost all of my hunting has been spot and stalk, and I wouldn't want to carry a rifle any heavier.

A heavier rifle is usually more accurate than a light one, however hunting rifles do not need to be as accurate as target rifles. Bull barrels are target rifles. I only shoot handloads, and I have developed sub moa loads for all of my hunting rifles.

A standard .300 Win is an excellent Western big game rifle.

Last edited by buffybr; 09-10-2017 at 04:41 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

My favorite rifle for hunting out west for deer and antelope was a standard Remington 700 BDL in .270 Win. I've taken game with it from 10 yards to over 400. That rifle was flat out accurate. Like a dummy I went and sold it and regret it every day.
So to answer your question: NO you don't need a "special" long range rifle. Find a load your rifle likes, practice and use it with confidence.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:41 AM
Spike

Thank you for the info. Just wasn't sure what the purpose of these long range rifles were used for in hunting situations. I assumed Mule deer and elk hunting in the west would require a lot of endurance stalking and climbing high altitudes. I couldn't see carrying these Serendo and Long range rifles to shoot across valleys and ridges. I could see a good rifle and scope combo and it should work for a one shot kill.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK I live in PA,. and have hunted out west many many times
like all things there are pro's and con's
a light rifle can be carried easier, and many can be very accurate for first shot, even a few after, but heat up faster and well??

the REASON why many folks like a longer heavy barrel out west is, due to the wide open spaces, where shots can be as far as your willing to take them(and I hope practice at)
the heavy barrel helps stead the gun for longer shots
and NO you do NOT need to be up high in elevation or climbing Mt's when your hunting out west, tons is done on wide open prairie's and out skits of badland like terrain !
where much of all cover and things goes DOWN hill into ravines and such,and not up!
where you can see literally for miles and miles in many directions
so when in these places, a long range rifle can be a BIG plus
I have killed deer out west from ranges of under a 100 yards to past 550
and if wanted could have shot at deer at ranges as far a caliber I had could reach(and I have been a 1,000 yard shooter since the 80's, so I have skills to make long shots if I wish)
but I personally prefer to limit things to 500 yards or less, I personally feel like many do, its NOT hunting at some point, and its just shooting!
for me 500 yards IF all thing are right, is my MAX, and I will do all I can to get closer, but again, some times all wide open spaces out there, its just not possible
drive 2,000+ miles to get there,and KNOW you can make shots, its hard to NOT take them!

can a basic deer rifle, in 300 win mag make long range shots
SURE they can
but I will bet MOST folks that hunt , over the yrs they BUY better rifles, more so because they CAN than they need to
I have many factory rifles that are sub 1/2 MOA, and I have many custom rifles that also are
but I will admit I do find myself using my custom rifles more
they fit ME better, I shoot them very well, and heck I paid a lot of money for them, so I better Use them LOL

the difference in weight of a heavy barrel(26 inch) over a standard barrel , isn;t that much to be honest
good trigger, good scope, and KNOW how to shoot it, and KNOW your distances, a GOOD range finder is a tool you need out west!, and KNOW your limits, don't just go fling lead at critters cause you can!
Old 09-09-2017, 02:16 PM
Spike

Well, I was at the gun shop and the man behind the counter showed me the Long range from Remington and the Mountain rifle from Remington and they are totally to different beast. I think the 300 Win mag should be a good versatile caliber but would hate to have to tote that Long range around but if that's the best choice for the money then so be it. I am just so used to standard rifle though. Just wasn't sure what the typical western hunter would use. Thanks for the info
Old 09-09-2017, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like that remington 700 mountain from what I can see.

6.5lbs plus scope sling ammo etc... 7.5-8.0 lbs in 7mm-08, 270, 280.

I'm over the idea of carrying a 10-11lbs magnum rifle instead of a 8lbs 270win.

Big long range type magnum calibers are going to kick, so to reduce that you need weight or willing to take the abuse.

I say unless you need a big heavy magnum, get something like the above cartridges.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:20 AM
Typical Buck

Most "long range rifles" as you call them are built heavy enough you may not want to pack them on a all day hunt.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO much of it is hype. Most rifles shoot straighter than the shooter does anyway.

Big barrels may have some effect on harmonics, mostly it is heat dissipation. The only shot that really counts in hunting is the first shot. If you are practicing it can be beneficial, shooting multiple rounds over a relatively short period of time and heat may move your barrel some. The bigger factor is consistency, you and the rifle.

When I practice I may spend two hours firing ten rounds (or less). I practice and plan for that first shot.

Sometimes it is just luck. I have an old model 70 featherweight that is almost as accurate as my Steyr SSG (which weighs around 9 pounds). When I say almost as accurate, I mean around a bullet diameter (or less) difference at a hundred yards in three shot groups. I doubt all the feather weights are that accurate, I just got lucky.

I think it takes a lot of practice and maybe even a good coach or teacher to make a shooter that can out shoot his or her rifle. And the shooter being good enough to successfully tune a rifle, takes a lot of practice also.

Most bang for the buck IMO is a good trigger.

When you get nuts over the whole thing and start shooting at extended ranges your pulse will move the cross hairs significantly. The bullet traveling through different air layers, cross winds and even the ambient temperature become factors. And the big one that nobody ever talks about, bullets don't fly straight, the barrel twist actually makes them corkscrew a bit.

And lastly IMO the only way to shoot long range is sitting at a shooting table or prone. Those magnums will punish you in the prone position. My 7mm Mag has been collecting dust in the safe for decades, it is no fun to shoot.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 09-27-2017 at 06:14 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.