Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

rifle recomendations

Old 09-13-2017, 05:41 PM
Spike

hey guys after reading what was posted here and talking to a few guys i have met in recent years that have hunted out west for elk for years now, reading article after article on what elk rifle to buy . So many pros and cons each one has and doesn't have and reviews on guns I made a purchase. I bought a weatherby Vanguard II in 7MM Rem mag 24 inch stainless Barrel and black synthetic stock. Should arrive sometime next week.Now the search for a Scope and ammo to shoot. I have always had great luck with Hornady ammo there SST bullets shot from my 50 cal pro hunter and Remington 1187 12ga special purpose slug gun . My tracking for whitetails is minimal and always one shot kills. Been using those bullets for over 10 years now with no complaints so I think Im gonna try there superformance sst bullet in 162 grain, has good reviews from other elk hunters as well. I have quite a few Nikon scopes and no issues with them as well but not sure yet ,I had a few recommendations to buy the swarofsky Z3 4-12x50 but thats a lot of dough for that bad boy.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

My dad was an SST fan for a while but he started having blow up problems on close range impact shots from his 7mm.08. I would suggest you take a look at the Hornady loaded ammo with the interlock bullet. Much stouter bullet to hold up on that close in shot if you get lucky enough to get on a Bull under 70 yards. 7mag speeds are around 2950+ with store bought ammo. I have mine at just at 3050 and can get a good deal more but my rifle loves that load. Those speeds require a fairly stout bullet for close range impacts and the SST's are far from a stout bullet.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:27 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by hunters_life
My dad was an SST fan for a while but he started having blow up problems on close range impact shots from his 7mm.08. I would suggest you take a look at the Hornady loaded ammo with the interlock bullet. Much stouter bullet to hold up on that close in shot if you get lucky enough to get on a Bull under 70 yards. 7mag speeds are around 2950+ with store bought ammo. I have mine at just at 3050 and can get a good deal more but my rifle loves that load. Those speeds require a fairly stout bullet for close range impacts and the SST's are far from a stout bullet.
I did read that about sst at close range I was told my average shot would be 150 yds to 250 yds . Those 162 grain sst are suppose to be flying 3050 fps. How do those interlock bullets perform for your dad at longer distances ?
Old 09-13-2017, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

He dropped a ton of hogs with them. Quite a few elk and a few moose with the interlock line. I myself have dropped a few elk with the 162gr interlock with my 7mag, quite a few hogs with the 130 and 140gr interlock and 130gr interbond with my 6.8SPC, quite a few elk, whitetail, hogs, and black bear with 180gr interlock and interbond with my .30-06 and a couple of very nice bull moose with 220gr RN interlocks from my .300wm. We have been a Hornady family for a lot of years. My opinion is the interbond bullet is about the best all around bullet Hornady made but it is temporarily suspended at this time. It is basically a toughened up SST. Fantastic BC and opens dependably from most all ranges that the rifle is capable of. The interlock comes in at a close second. I've not had a rifle yet that didn't like them although I do have a couple that I had to play around with a bit to find a good load. But I'm about a carbon copy of how my old man was when it comes to rifles. If it won't group at an inch or under at 100 yards, you need to fix it.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

7mm mag is popular choice, and I suspect will do well.

As I said, people have used a lot less. But if you are buying a rifle, and not constrained to what you already own, why go with the minimum? At some point cost for ammo deters, but for most of us, I think it is greater than 270, 380, 30-06, ect.

If you handload, it costs less, obviously.

If you were asking which of the rifles I own would be good, it would be different discussion.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:46 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by hunters_life
He dropped a ton of hogs with them. Quite a few elk and a few moose with the interlock line. I myself have dropped a few elk with the 162gr interlock with my 7mag, quite a few hogs with the 130 and 140gr interlock and 130gr interbond with my 6.8SPC, quite a few elk, whitetail, hogs, and black bear with 180gr interlock and interbond with my .30-06 and a couple of very nice bull moose with 220gr RN interlocks from my .300wm. We have been a Hornady family for a lot of years. My opinion is the interbond bullet is about the best all around bullet Hornady made but it is temporarily suspended at this time. It is basically a toughened up SST. Fantastic BC and opens dependably from most all ranges that the rifle is capable of. The interlock comes in at a close second. I've not had a rifle yet that didn't like them although I do have a couple that I had to play around with a bit to find a good load. But I'm about a carbon copy of how my old man was when it comes to rifles. If it won't group at an inch or under at 100 yards, you need to fix it.
I looked at midway usa and they are out of stock on the interlock bullets and plenty of the sst so that could mean something . I like the fact that there cheaper also in $$$ . They also have very good reviews so thanks for the review
Old 09-13-2017, 07:52 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Berserker
7mm mag is popular choice, and I suspect will do well.

As I said, people have used a lot less. But if you are buying a rifle, and not constrained to what you already own, why go with the minimum? At some point cost for ammo deters, but for most of us, I think it is greater than 270, 380, 30-06, ect.

If you handload, it costs less, obviously.

If you were asking which of the rifles I own would be good, it would be different discussion.
I do not feel I purchased anywhere near the minimum , From everything I have researched that rifle will do everything I want it to on Elk easily and so much more on other big game if I do get the opportunity to hunt and choose to.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

You are most certainly not undergunned. The 7mag has more than enough to take anything walking on the continental US including Brown Bears. Just match your load and bullet to the species and you will come out fine. And keep yourself limited to your capabilities. The old man drilled this into my head at a very young age, "just because the weapon is capable of a range certainly doesn't mean you are." That meant any weapon I used for hunting, be it bow, muzzleloader, or center fire. Stay within ranges you are well practiced at so you can be assured a clean quick kill. I have a pretty good amount of rifles but my heart is in muzzleloading rifles. My go to is a Thompson Center Renegade that I've had for a lot of years. So I know well what limitations are. It's really hard to let a big old buck walk because it is just out of your ethical range and you can't get closer but you have to impose those limitations on yourself out of respect to the quarry.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

Good choice in your Vanguard 7mm Rem mag. Like I posted earlier, my foul weather back-up elk rifle is a 7mm Rem mag with 160 grain Nosler Accubond bullets. That is also the rifle and bullets that I am taking to Quebec next week for a caribou hunt.

In the mid 80s I took a friend of mine moose hunting. One bullet from his 7mm Rem mag put both of our names in the B&C record book with (at that time) the 4th largest Shiras moose ever shot in Montana.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Excellent choice. You will love the gun, I sure love mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.