Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

.243 for moose??

Old 12-10-2017, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Could someone have possibly made the shot when that bull was a calf? I cannot imagine there being any reason why anyone would elect to shoot a calf instead of a fully-grown moose, but perhaps someone missed while shooting at the cow and hit the calf, instead.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another implausible theory is someone saw wolves attacking this moose at some point, didn't like it, grabbed what they had, and in their incompetence ended up unintentionally striking the moose's rump.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:12 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

You got to be kiding .
Old 12-11-2017, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've taken two Moose with a .308 180 grain. I don't know if it is fact or fiction but they seem to be more fragile than Deer, Moose seem to go into shock easier. Both went down in a pile, both were head on shots (or nearly head on), both were head up, low neck from the front. bullet ended up going through or very near the Heart.

Having said that, the trend seems to be higher velocities and smaller bullets. I don't really buy into that philosophy. I prefer big holes, a bullet that expands well and bruises as little meat as possible.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
...the trend seems to be higher velocities and smaller bullets. I don't really buy into that philosophy.
The 6.5 Creedmore propaganda has gotten insane on this front. How much penetration advantage do you really need, especially on deer-sized game (which is the hunting application that I understand people are pushing most for it)?
Old 12-11-2017, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

I know a native american that hunts on the reservation he lives on with a .22-250.... He takes elk every year.

not saying it's a good idea, and it's not even legal for most of us. But it happens.

-Jake
Old 12-11-2017, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by younggun308
The 6.5 Creedmore propaganda has gotten insane on this front. How much penetration advantage do you really need, especially on deer-sized game (which is the hunting application that I understand people are pushing most for it)?
There always has been a discussion about flat shooters and their advantages. But like you said, if the bullet goes all the way through, except for hydro static shock, everything on the exit side is wasted energy. Some animals (species) seem more prone to shock than others.

If you know the ballistics of your rifle, smaller has no real advantages. I shot with one guy who shot 7X57 lead bullets at the lowest possible load to seal the case. It often seemed like he was tossing mortar rounds out there (500 meters), but that thing was very consistent and accurate.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

It’s a bad idea. A very bad idea.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of us have probably encountered that carcass someone did not recover. Yes, these animals cling to life tenaciously, but we hunters also make poor shots - regardless of the cartridge we choose. In some ways, this moose was probably lucky. It survived the wound. I shot an elk years ago that carried the healed-over remains of an arrow in its neck. How many animals are hit with a more substantial projectile and escape only to die a lingering death shortly afterward though?

I don't follow the logic that taking a bigger rifle to the field cures the potential ills of poor shooting (and we're all capable of that). We should all be aware of our limitations as marksmen. "Yes, that's the biggest rack we've ever seen, but - It's farther away than I'm comfortable shooting"; I'm not comfortable shooting at a moving target"; I'm just not in a good position to take a shot at it." It boils down to discipline.

Yes, someone who just bought a .243 to go moose hunting could probably be thought a fool. However, someone experienced with a .243 will - in all likelihood - be more effective than someone who bought a .300 magnum yesterday. Whatever you choose to shoot, shoot it well.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

You can't compare a seasoned hunter with a 243 to a novice with a 300 mag who only owned it for a day, it is apples and oranges. The comparison should be two seasoned hunters, both competent shots, one with a .243 and one with the 300 mag and the question is, which gun would be the best for moose? The answer is without question the 300 mag. Just because it is possible to do something does not mean you should. I saw a situation where a guy shot a deer right on the shoulder with a .222, the deer stumbled and kept going and another guy about 80 yards away put it on the ground with an 06. The two men showed me the deer and the base of the .222 could be seen sticking out of the shoulder slightly, it never penetrated the shoulder. Can you kill a deer with a .222, yes you can. Is it a good idea, no. If we respect the game we hunt we should use a caliber commensurate the game.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.