Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Elk Hunting in Idaho - Selway Zone >

Elk Hunting in Idaho - Selway Zone

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting in Idaho - Selway Zone

Old 07-16-2017, 02:54 PM
Spike

Default Elk Hunting in Idaho - Selway Zone

Planning to go to the Selway Zone this fall (B tag, any weapon season w 2 archers and a rifle hunter) and seeking any shareable information regarding a preference for zone 17 vs 20. Was originally planning to go with the solitude of zone 17 entering from either MT or near Paradise. However given feedback from the ID dnr biologist, we've started to consider the southern section of the Selway zone, 20 essentially hiking in from the Magruder corridor road.

We are planning a self guided backpacking adventure so any guidance to help us select between the 2 zones would be greatly appreciated. Specifically interested in elk population in those 2 different areas beyond what we heard from ID dnr (they haven't flown the area in years), how many hunters expected off of the Magruder road, info on the recent fires in the area.

Any info to help our selection would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't mind helping someone and a lot of others on the site don't either, but generally on any hunting site you visit you will not get much information when you make a first post asking for all kinds of information like you have and we know nothing about you or if you will ever make another post on this site to help anyone else. You'd be surprised how many people come on, ask a question, and then don't even log back on again to see if anyone responded.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:19 PM
Spike

My apologies for not being familiar with the protcools of using an online forum. This is my first foray into using one.

Here is a little background:
I've been archery hunting for over 25 years. I've primarily hunted in PA and MD with the last 18 years focused in both suburban MD and the wilderness areas of W. MD.

I don't mind lending my expertise and helping out fellow hunters. As a show of good faith, I'll start looking through other threads to see where I can be of assistance.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Got to agree with Top. Spending a week or so building some rapport with members is better than just jumping in and asking someone to point you in the right direction. Unless you and I have traded a few thoughts on things I for one am not going to be forthcoming with info.

That being said, I can't help you. All my elk hunting has been in Co and UT.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:44 PM
Spike

Thanks for the forum use advice. I've provided comments on a few topics last night and plan on doing the same later this evening.