Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

7mm-08?

Old 05-30-2017, 05:30 PM
Spike

Default 7mm-08?

What is y'all's opinion on the 7mm-08 (given good shot placement and good bullet) out to no more than 300-400yds on Elk? What bullet would you use, or do you think I am asking too much?
Old 05-30-2017, 05:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I've personally taken 25 elk and have been in on the taking of around 100 others. The 7-08 is a great deer and pronghorn round and is more than adequate for elk, my cousin's wife uses it, but in my opinion it is a 200 yard round for elk. Pushing it to 300-400 yards is asking for trouble because the case lacks the capacity for the needed energy at that range.

My opinion mind you, but you did ask. Feel free to disagree but chasing a wounded elk in rough country isn't a fun activity and should be avoided.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:48 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
Well, I've personally taken 25 elk and have been in on the taking of around 100 others. The 7-08 is a great deer and pronghorn round and is more than adequate for elk, my cousin's wife uses it, but in my opinion it is a 200 yard round for elk. Pushing it to 300-400 yards is asking for trouble because the case lacks the capacity for the needed energy at that range.

My opinion mind you, but you did ask. Feel free to disagree but chasing a wounded elk in rough country isn't a fun activity and should be avoided.
Thanks for your opinion. I like honesty!
Old 05-30-2017, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
...but in my opinion it is a 200 yard round for elk. Pushing it to 300-400 yards is asking for trouble because the case lacks the capacity for the needed energy at that range.
I suppose you feel that way about any cartridge that uses a .308 case, flags?

I think I convinced my dad he and I need to start putting in for CO preference points, starting next year (since we've already missed this year's deadline). But when we someday make the trip(s), I'm probably going to have added something bigger to the arsenal---simply because of effective elk range and trajectory advantages. My rifle is a .308, and I'm thinking it'd be best complemented by a .338 Win Mag; I'll go up in bore and effective range at the same time, that way.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

A .308 is plenty for elk.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:26 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
A .308 is plenty for elk.
So would a 7mm-08 be enough?
Old 05-30-2017, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by younggun308
I suppose you feel that way about any cartridge that uses a .308 case, flags?
On elk sized game at 400 yards, Yes. That's why I say it is best at 200 yards or less. The case simply lacks the powder capacity for that range especially is you use a heavier bullet which makes sense for elk.

Like I have said, feel free to disagree but I base my comments on taking a lot of elk and seeing a lot of elk taken. Up to 200 yards, no problem. Over 200 yards, get a cartridge with more powder capacity. The elk deserve that and chasing a wounded one around isn't fun. Considering the 338 is a wise move. My favorite elk round has always been the 7mm Rem Mag since I tend to hunt open country in Northwest CO. It may be the same caliber and the 7-08 but it carries a lot more downrange punch and I wouldn't hesitate to take a 400 yard shot with it. As a matter of fact I have done that exact same thing more than once.

Last edited by flags; 05-30-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

My .300 Weatherby is "plenty for elk", but even with it, I try to keep my shots under 200 yards.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by HancockHunter
So would a 7mm-08 be enough?

Yes, but there's little room for error at 400yds. You really don't have to shoot that far unless you want to. The average distance for killing elk in Colorado is 150yds.

I use a replica of a Hawken and a round ball for elk now. Before that I used a 30-30. I like to sneak in close though. It's what I enjoy and i'm not recommending it.

Certainly, you can get within 200 yds. Not all of Colorado is open country. If you already have a 7Mm-08 i'd use it with a Partition bullet and hold my max range to 200yds. A .308 with the same bullet will work fine too.

If you have your heart set on 400yd shots. A .300 mag is a good choice. I think a .338 mag is a bit of overkill. Most guys can't shoot that round accurately because of recoil. If you can go ahead and buy one. I have a problem with big mags and hunters new to elk hunting. They think they can shoot the elk anywhere and the big mag will kill. That's not the case. I'd prefer to see a hunter use a proper caliber, hunt in closer, and take a careful humane shot.

It's your choice. This is just my opinion.

btw.... The old standby 30-06 is never a bad choice with an 180gr Partition.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Yes, but there's little room for error at 400yds. You really don't have to shoot that far unless you want to. The average distance for killing elk in Colorado is 150yds.

I use a replica of a Hawken and a round ball for elk now. Before that I used a 30-30. I like to sneak in close though. It's what I enjoy and i'm not recommending it.

Certainly, you can get within 200 yds. Not all of Colorado is open country. If you already have a 7Mm-08 i'd use it with a Partition bullet and hold my max range to 200yds. A .308 with the same bullet will work fine too.

If you have your heart set on 400yd shots. A .300 mag is a good choice. I think a .338 mag is a bit of overkill. Most guys can't shoot that round accurately because of recoil. If you can go ahead and buy one. I have a problem with big mags and hunters new to elk hunting. They think they can shoot the elk anywhere and the big mag will kill. That's not the case. I'd prefer to see a hunter use a proper caliber, hunt in closer, and take a careful humane shot.

It's your choice. This is just my opinion.

btw.... The old standby 30-06 is never a bad choice with an 180gr Partition.
+1 I agree with you 100% on this one Pete.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.