HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   7mm-08? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/414025-7mm-08-a.html)

HancockHunter 05-30-2017 05:30 PM

7mm-08?

What is y'all's opinion on the 7mm-08 (given good shot placement and good bullet) out to no more than 300-400yds on Elk? What bullet would you use, or do you think I am asking too much?

flags 05-30-2017 05:39 PM

Well, I've personally taken 25 elk and have been in on the taking of around 100 others. The 7-08 is a great deer and pronghorn round and is more than adequate for elk, my cousin's wife uses it, but in my opinion it is a 200 yard round for elk. Pushing it to 300-400 yards is asking for trouble because the case lacks the capacity for the needed energy at that range.

My opinion mind you, but you did ask. Feel free to disagree but chasing a wounded elk in rough country isn't a fun activity and should be avoided.

HancockHunter 05-30-2017 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4306336)
Well, I've personally taken 25 elk and have been in on the taking of around 100 others. The 7-08 is a great deer and pronghorn round and is more than adequate for elk, my cousin's wife uses it, but in my opinion it is a 200 yard round for elk. Pushing it to 300-400 yards is asking for trouble because the case lacks the capacity for the needed energy at that range.

My opinion mind you, but you did ask. Feel free to disagree but chasing a wounded elk in rough country isn't a fun activity and should be avoided.

Thanks for your opinion. I like honesty!:party0005:

younggun308 05-30-2017 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4306336)
...but in my opinion it is a 200 yard round for elk. Pushing it to 300-400 yards is asking for trouble because the case lacks the capacity for the needed energy at that range.

I suppose you feel that way about any cartridge that uses a .308 case, flags?

I think I convinced my dad he and I need to start putting in for CO preference points, starting next year (since we've already missed this year's deadline). But when we someday make the trip(s), I'm probably going to have added something bigger to the arsenal---simply because of effective elk range and trajectory advantages. My rifle is a .308, and I'm thinking it'd be best complemented by a .338 Win Mag; I'll go up in bore and effective range at the same time, that way.

Muley Hunter 05-30-2017 06:23 PM

A .308 is plenty for elk.

HancockHunter 05-30-2017 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4306343)
A .308 is plenty for elk.

So would a 7mm-08 be enough?

flags 05-30-2017 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by younggun308 (Post 4306340)
I suppose you feel that way about any cartridge that uses a .308 case, flags?

On elk sized game at 400 yards, Yes. That's why I say it is best at 200 yards or less. The case simply lacks the powder capacity for that range especially is you use a heavier bullet which makes sense for elk.

Like I have said, feel free to disagree but I base my comments on taking a lot of elk and seeing a lot of elk taken. Up to 200 yards, no problem. Over 200 yards, get a cartridge with more powder capacity. The elk deserve that and chasing a wounded one around isn't fun. Considering the 338 is a wise move. My favorite elk round has always been the 7mm Rem Mag since I tend to hunt open country in Northwest CO. It may be the same caliber and the 7-08 but it carries a lot more downrange punch and I wouldn't hesitate to take a 400 yard shot with it. As a matter of fact I have done that exact same thing more than once.

buffybr 05-30-2017 08:00 PM

My .300 Weatherby is "plenty for elk", but even with it, I try to keep my shots under 200 yards.

Muley Hunter 05-31-2017 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by HancockHunter (Post 4306344)
So would a 7mm-08 be enough?

Yes, but there's little room for error at 400yds. You really don't have to shoot that far unless you want to. The average distance for killing elk in Colorado is 150yds.

I use a replica of a Hawken and a round ball for elk now. Before that I used a 30-30. I like to sneak in close though. It's what I enjoy and i'm not recommending it.

Certainly, you can get within 200 yds. Not all of Colorado is open country. If you already have a 7Mm-08 i'd use it with a Partition bullet and hold my max range to 200yds. A .308 with the same bullet will work fine too.

If you have your heart set on 400yd shots. A .300 mag is a good choice. I think a .338 mag is a bit of overkill. Most guys can't shoot that round accurately because of recoil. If you can go ahead and buy one. I have a problem with big mags and hunters new to elk hunting. They think they can shoot the elk anywhere and the big mag will kill. That's not the case. I'd prefer to see a hunter use a proper caliber, hunt in closer, and take a careful humane shot.

It's your choice. This is just my opinion.

btw.... The old standby 30-06 is never a bad choice with an 180gr Partition.

buffybr 05-31-2017 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4306384)
Yes, but there's little room for error at 400yds. You really don't have to shoot that far unless you want to. The average distance for killing elk in Colorado is 150yds.

I use a replica of a Hawken and a round ball for elk now. Before that I used a 30-30. I like to sneak in close though. It's what I enjoy and i'm not recommending it.

Certainly, you can get within 200 yds. Not all of Colorado is open country. If you already have a 7Mm-08 i'd use it with a Partition bullet and hold my max range to 200yds. A .308 with the same bullet will work fine too.

If you have your heart set on 400yd shots. A .300 mag is a good choice. I think a .338 mag is a bit of overkill. Most guys can't shoot that round accurately because of recoil. If you can go ahead and buy one. I have a problem with big mags and hunters new to elk hunting. They think they can shoot the elk anywhere and the big mag will kill. That's not the case. I'd prefer to see a hunter use a proper caliber, hunt in closer, and take a careful humane shot.

It's your choice. This is just my opinion.

btw.... The old standby 30-06 is never a bad choice with an 180gr Partition.

+1 I agree with you 100% on this one Pete.