HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Pass up the attempt to find a new hunting buddy (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/412833-pass-up-attempt-find-new-hunting-buddy.html)

Valentine 03-29-2017 05:30 AM

Pass up the attempt to find a new hunting buddy

I'm too old to find a hunting buddy. Too old to put up with newbies who haven't slept overnight in a tent and want to go to Alaska to hunt.
Still hunters out there who are use to hunting the same old place; hiding the fear of getting lost in daylight. And he's suppose to hunt with you for seven or ten days in a wilderness area.
Guy's who were never hurt and find out the pain is due to bad knees and a bad hip. Guys who think they are still 27 years old.
Guys who never fasted on a hike and got shocked when they run out of food with more than 3 days left before the float plane comes back.
A hunter who thinks he's in wonderful shape and is more than 30 lbs. overweight.
Naw, I think I'll still hunt alone. I've been nursing my knees and hips for over 60 years. Never hunted with a perfect body. One that lasts til I'm fifty. And I'm a lot more than fifty.

RWK 03-29-2017 11:11 AM

Were you what to hunt i,m 73.

AlaskaJohn 03-29-2017 01:54 PM

I hunt alone and just love it. Good partners are hard to find. I go with my SIL or grand kids when I can but hunt mostly by myself.

Rob in VT 03-29-2017 02:15 PM

Good partners are hard to find. But it is always good to help someone wanting to learn, take them under your wing and teach them the ropes. After all, we were all greenhorns at one point.

mrbb 03-29-2017 03:37 PM

wellI think I fully agree with you
I started hunting by myself, and stayed a solo hunters MOST of my yrs
as I got tired of excuses and waiting on folks and finding out there idea of hunting and mine were so far apart
BUT I do admit over the yrs I have had a lot of fond hunts with a few decent guys, and maybe more so, enjoyed taking some first timers out, that showed sign of a strong desire to HUNT< and not just be spoiled on things
I lost count of all the guys and gals I took out on there first "X" hunt , be it deer,. turkey pheasants or crows or coyote
and seem them develop into strong hunters today

so there is some times a bigger reward to showing the ropes than doing the hunt yourself all alone

BUT to be 100% honest, MY best times hunting were with my Dog, the memories will go to my grave with me and NOT a bad one to recall
and he never complained about a single thing, ate what was giving to him, and the best darn hunting partner a man could ask for!

just sadly his life was shorter than mine!
so, NOW I am back to hunting alone when I do

bronko22000 03-30-2017 04:41 AM

mrbb I have to agree with you about hunting with my dog. Every hunter deserves one good hunting dog in his life. I was fortunate enough to have a couple including one exceptional one - all labs.
As for a human hunting companion, many years ago I met this man in the local coffee shop. We started talking about hunting and we agreed we should go out together one time. Well that one time turned into a lifelong hunting companionship. We've been all over the country and now are not only hunting companions but good friends and next door neighbors. My son never took to hunting but my grandson appears to like it. He just doesn't seem to comprehend the fact that there is a lot of patience required. He thinks he can get out of the vehicle, and there are birds and deer behind every other tree!
I think this is due to all the technology of today and the fast pace.

mrbb 03-30-2017 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4299196)
mrbb I have to agree with you about hunting with my dog. Every hunter deserves one good hunting dog in his life. I was fortunate enough to have a couple including one exceptional one - all labs.
As for a human hunting companion, many years ago I met this man in the local coffee shop. We started talking about hunting and we agreed we should go out together one time. Well that one time turned into a lifelong hunting companionship. We've been all over the country and now are not only hunting companions but good friends and next door neighbors. My son never took to hunting but my grandson appears to like it. He just doesn't seem to comprehend the fact that there is a lot of patience required. He thinks he can get out of the vehicle, and there are birds and deer behind every other tree!
I think this is due to all the technology of today and the fast pace.

I fully agree, its almost magical watching a good bird dog in action, even if your NOT a bird hunter, just seeing a animal do what nature instilled them to do is very cool if you ask me

as for your grandson, and the view he has, I think a LOT of TV shows are also the cause of views like that, or so is the easy of killing things , or the MUST have items to hunt with, which most are not needed at all

modern hunting sure isn;'t what it used to mean , if you ask me

traditions, have gave way to FAME, wanting to be a TV star or famous, or huge desire to just show the world (LOOK WHAT I DID)

I never cared about showing off any kills to anyone, to be honest, most I never even took a picture of period, they were to me MY memories and wanted to keep them that way.
sure didn;t mind talking hunting with folks, but it was never about needing other to know what I got or, heck even cared if anyone ever knew!

I have a bunch of mounted animals, but again, they were for ME< not others?

times have changed
glad you found a great friend and hunting partner, not often you get both in one person!

wyomingtrapper 03-31-2017 10:40 AM

I prefer to hunt alone. Even with the kids (youngest is 17), we camp together, but hunt separately. The exception might be antelope. We like to hunt them together.

Jack Ryan 03-31-2017 09:21 PM

I spent the last 10 - 15 years hunt'n with my best buddies I can always count on, me, myself, and I.

Everyone else died, moved, got a girlfriend or got married. Funny how I managed to do MOST all that and still hunted plenty with THEM.

gjersy 04-02-2017 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Ryan (Post 4299382)
I spent the last 10 - 15 years hunt'n with my best buddies I can always count on, me, myself, and I.

Everyone else died, moved, got a girlfriend or got married. Funny how I managed to do MOST all that and still hunted plenty with THEM.

Right on Jack! A true hunting bud shows up and HUNTS.