Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
I finally bought one Pictures added >

I finally bought one Pictures added

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I finally bought one Pictures added

Old 03-28-2017, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

I would be curious to hear how your Kawa did dragging a deer uphill in low gear. I remember riding one of those Suzuki 250's with super low gear ages ago on an elk hunt and that thing was like riding on a dozer, slowly going uphill over logs and obstacles and slow enough that the front end didn't try to flip backwards. It didn't have a lot of top speed as I recall but it was the bomb on steep hills.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will let you know after I have the opportunity to do so.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive got one of those cheapy trailers. I paid $150 for it so it was a no brainer at that price but they truly are junk and a total ripoff at the price lowes wants for one. The only upside is its so cheaply made that my wifes little SUV can pull it.

Can't complain for $150 but I'd be pissed if I paid the 6-700 Lowes wants for one.

I also prefer a tilt trailer over the gate.

One piece of advice. I like to have a trailer that I can also pull with the atv 4 or 5x8.

You hook the trailer to the truck and pull the atv then you take the ATV off the trailer and hook the trailer to the atv and go. Its great for putting up and taking down deer stands and lots of other things.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have to haul my atv for an hour to get to my hunting spot and some of the road is crappy so I wanted a trailer that would hold up and has at least 12 inch wheels so I don't have to worry about hot bearings. I bought one two days ago, more than I wanted to spend but it is well built and the frame doesn't flex when you push down on a corner, the thing is solid, it also has the high tailgate that serves as a ramp. It has been a long time since I bought a trailer and I about crapped when I saw how much a good one costs. I spent $900.00 but I won't have to worry abut the welds breaking when I am towing it. I was going to pick up my machine today but we have all day heavy rain going on so I am going to pick it up tomorrow. I will post a picture. I haven't backed a trailer down a boat ramp or up my driveway for years for years, I am going to have to practice a little.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I have to haul my atv for an hour to get to my hunting spot and some of the road is crappy so I wanted a trailer that would hold up and has at least 12 inch wheels so I don't have to worry about hot bearings. I bought one two days ago, more than I wanted to spend but it is well built and the frame doesn't flex when you push down on a corner, the thing is solid, it also has the high tailgate that serves as a ramp. It has been a long time since I bought a trailer and I about crapped when I saw how much a good one costs. I spent $900.00 but I won't have to worry abut the welds breaking when I am towing it. I was going to pick up my machine today but we have all day heavy rain going on so I am going to pick it up tomorrow. I will post a picture. I haven't backed a trailer down a boat ramp or up my driveway for years for years, I am going to have to practice a little.
That is not a bad price for a trailer that is actually built to use.

How big did you go?

Ive got a real solid 6x12 trailer also so the little cheapy 4x8 just kind of fills a void when I need something smaller. I do use it a lot to get deer stands in and out and also around the house a lot.

4x8 is a pain to back up behind a full size pickup but not bad behind my wifes little SUV......longer the trailer the easier to back up.

Last edited by rockport; 03-31-2017 at 05:42 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is a 5x8, I figure that is big enough and I can throw a couple of deer on it as well as my atv. I figure with the high tailgate/ramp on the trailer I will be able to see it behind my truck when backing it.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is a 5x8, I figure that is big enough and I can throw a couple of deer on it as well as my atv. I figure with the high tailgate/ramp on the trailer I will be able to see it behind my truck when backing it.
Yeah, should work great.

The gate helps but 8ft is still a pain to back up. Its really the perfect size for an ATV and hunting though. You should be able to pull it with the ATV no problem.

I generally just leave my deer on the atv rack then when I get home I throw a rope over a tree limb and use the winch to pull the deer up so I can raise/lower the deer as needed while I skin and butcher it.

Last edited by rockport; 03-31-2017 at 05:55 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

You are right about short trailers being a pain, I backed duck boat trailers up my driveway and down boat ramps for years. I am a little out of practice but I am sure it will come back to me.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are right about short trailers being a pain, I backed duck boat trailers up my driveway and down boat ramps for years. I am a little out of practice but I am sure it will come back to me.
Yeah, its not that bad.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

A utility four wheeler is a good tool to have available. From dragging deer, hanging stands, filling feeders, checking cameras, summer scouting, yard work, and just recreational use, they are good to have around. The deer in my area aren't scared of them. I don't do it anymore much just because of a lack of time, but I used to do a lot of scouting from the back of the fourwheeler in the summer because I could drive it right up into the fields and then sit there and the deer would come out to feed like normal. So I'd take the binoculars and hit all the fields to get an idea of what was around.. I think you'll enjoy your purchase!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.