Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Canada Bear

Old 03-10-2017, 06:18 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
Just found this. Even if you take a handgun, you can't legally carry it in the field in a condition ready to use if you also have a long gun in your hands:

http://www.ecc.gov.nl.ca/wildlife/hunting/hunters.html

Class is dismissed. You may go out and play now.
That link refers to Newfoundland. Not sure it applies to all of Canada.

I called the # on the link way above. Handguns are permissible if you follow the rules & regulations as per the declaration form.

Anyone can come across a nasty boarder agent, happens all the time; but push comes to shove, there are formal regulations.

That's why they have rules & regulations in writing, otherwise it's all fake news. Call the authorities yourself, it's a public posted #.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a friend that used to travel back and forth from Canada all the time with a blank pistol. He used when running his dogs during bird dog trials to simulate shooting at birds with. This is a common practice during those trials. He has stopped going over to run them because of the hassle of taking a blank gun over with him. Now as stated a blank gun in the form of a handgun.. I can't imagine how much fun it would be to take a real handgun over with you.. But, as stated earlier the choice is yours..
Old 08-21-2017, 12:05 PM
Spike

Just got back from Canada. Hand guns, NO PROBLEM. Went through customs, with all the proper paperwork. They don't even want to see the firearm(s). All they want is the CN$35. Guns stayed in the car. Money came out of the wallet.

It's clearly printed on the customs form what is allowed, and what is not.

On the way back, they don't even want to see the dead bear, or the guns. All they want is the paperwork filled out. Didn't even care about guns.

It's all about $$$$, nothing else.
You pay to transport guns, hunting license, & bear export permit. It's all about the almighty dollar.

Customs officers on both sides are so accustomed to bear hunters, they don't even flinch when you mention guns / dead animals / ammo.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

Handguns are not illegal in Canada as many think. But extremely strict. Not sure about non residents, I am sure there are websites.

I believe they must be over 4". Which is why S&W model 69 44 mag is 4.25". What is really F'd up, is they are not allowed to be loaded in house.

Since you are not going to be able to carry it concealed, legally, I would just use that powerful rifle when out in the woods, for whatever.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

I just read the customs form. It's clear as day what is allowed.
Google it for yourself, and read the form yourself.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

We got hassled big time on the way back to the states. For a rifle and some bear meat.

On the way up, we stopped and I had all the paperwork filled out for the rifle, in triplicate. I went inside, they looked it over, stamped it, etc...all good to go.

On the way back, I told the agent we had the rifle and showed him all the paper work that was stamped and dated a week earlier. He asked where my original registration for the rifle was. I didn't have it. My dad bought the rifle in 1972 and gave it to me in 1986. He said that I could have bought it in Canada and that I was trying to sneak it back to the states. I showed him the paper work, showing that I had the rifle in the USA and that they checked it at the border a week ago. He said that wasn't good enough.

Also, we did not get a bear. So I didn't fill out any export forms. The guide gave us some meat to take home. When the agent asked if we shot a bear, I said no. Then he searched our cooler and saw some meat. At once, I was a liar and he would not believe anything I said. If he asked me what was 1+1, he would say he could never believe me because I was a proven liar. It was ridiculous.

In the end, they were getting busy and something else must have come up, because he eventually waived us through. But not without thoroughly hassling us. It was me, my 80 year old dad and my 9 year old son. Really threatening looking.

Funny, you hear stories about 50 year old Americans being denied entry into Canada for drinking offenses in college. Makes you think the Canadian border agents are like the gestapo. Here I got hassled by my own people.

Would I take a handgun in (no matter what the letter of the law said), not if I didn't have to.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:36 AM
Spike

Any cop, any boarder agent, any person of authority can be a douche bag. Happens every day. Bottom line is: the letter of the law prevails. That's why you must have all the paperwork stating what is, & what can be.

I once got busted for a bag of grapes going into Canada. They saw my kids eating grapes, and they searched the entire car. No fruit allowed. 2 little kids were not happy when the boarder agent confiscated their grapes.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

I have crossed a number of times on a bike. Canadians were easier. I try to find a portal in a small town, usually less traffic. Never had much of problem.

One time they made sure gf had her own credit cards to come back. They are serious about no one staying there.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:23 AM
Spike

Cool

Originally Posted by Short Track Hunter
I'm doing a bear hunt in Canada.
Is it worth bringing a hand gun into Canada ?

I see there is paperwork available, but not sure a hand gun is needed. Would certainly make me feel better !!
I can tell by your statement (that you'd feel better with a handgun) that you haven't hunted a bear yet. Lots of beginning bear hunters think the same thing, but the truth is, unless you're extremely well-trained and use a hg regularly (such as law enforcement) you're just asking for trouble. First, a 30-06 has three times the horsepower of any handgun on earth, so make it your complete defense system. Second, your adrenalin level will "hide the needle" if you're like any other new bear hunter and picture yourself trying to unlimber a handgun and then have presence of mind to actually shoot it good enough to stop a running (maybe at YOU) animal. Practice snap shooting & shooting a 2nd shot quickly before you go, and you'll be good without the pistola. Also, if you're black bear hunting, stay in the U.S. - you eliminate 99% of your issue right there. Be safe and good luck!