HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   What are you applying for? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/411379-what-you-applying.html)

Bocajnala 01-15-2017 09:40 PM

What are you applying for?

So, with the new year here, deadlines are fast approaching. What is everyone applying for this year?
I, along with 6 family members/friends, just bought my first Wyoming preference points last year. We all bought antelope points, and I bought mule deer as well in planning for a future hunt. We're going for Antelope in fall 2018. So I'll just be buying an additional point for each this year and may put in for points for Elk somewhere this year as well.

In Ohio I'll put in for some controlled deer hunts at various parks and military bases. Maybe I'll get lucky and draw a good one. Haven't been drawn for a special hunt since 2012.

What's everyone applying for? Anyone got big plans?

-Jake

moosemike 01-16-2017 03:37 AM

I'll apply for Moose in NH and VT.

Rob in VT 01-16-2017 04:06 AM

Deer points in CO and KS. Might start points in WY.

Should draw an Iowa zone 4 archery tag, and get a CO otc bull tag.

flags 01-16-2017 04:19 AM

Preference points for deer, elk and pronghorn in my native CO, preference point for pronghorn in WY and I'll put in for a bunch of the special draw hunts here in TX. Might put in for moose in NH bit I here the numbers are way down due to a tick issue.

kidoggy 01-16-2017 04:24 AM

got till the end of may in idaho .regs won't even come out till mid april.

Topgun 3006 01-16-2017 07:42 AM

Buck deer tag and hopefully a couple doe antelope tags for our annual hunt in Wyoming. Application period doesn't end until 5/31, so I'll wait until the middle of May to apply and give them my money.

salukipv1 01-16-2017 08:37 PM

More than likely just points again this year.

But quickly getting to the point where i need to cash some elk points in soon otherwise wait longer for a rifle tag. I'd kind of prefer a rifle rut elk hunt but from the looks of things a bow hunt sooner may make much more sense. 10pts vs 20 in AZ.

Problem is I don't want to cash em in and get skunked on a elk bowhunt, feel like I'd have higher success odds with the rifle, but with point creep etc... not sure it's worth waiting for a rifle tag.

Perhaps I'll cash in some points in say WY and use the rifle, and then another year chase elk with the bow in AZ.

Although while I'd love to chase elk every year, I'd also like to chase some other animals, especially ones I don't have.

BRUSE 01-30-2017 12:48 PM

Gonna apply for antelope in WY again this year and get another deer and elk point for Wyoming. Next year I'm elk hunting in wy! It's all think of

car 02-01-2017 05:25 AM

Points only.....elk in Colorado and deer in Wy.

Draw....deer in SD, should draw!
Elk in KY
moose in NH VT Maine

Uncle Nicky 02-05-2017 01:24 PM

I'll keep applying in Arizona for a tag to turkey hunt in Gould's country until I draw, been at it 5 years, no luck yet. May put in for a tag to gator hunt in Georgia this year, always wanted to try that.

john21wall 02-07-2017 04:12 AM

I put in for all three, it's cheap and close. I wasted money on dumber stuff...

Alsatian 02-07-2017 10:16 AM

Elk hunting in first rifle season in SW Colorado GMU 75, as usual. I had a bull elk in my cross hairs last year, 7:30 AM, Tuesday morning, but I deemed the shot doubtful for my ability at that moment. It looked a long way away and I felt jittery. Part of my problem, I think, was that I was in a defeatist frame of mind at the time and was surprised by the opportunity. My adrenaline started rushing and I didn't calmly evaluate the situation -- like to ask myself how much are the cross hairs moving on the vital area? He stood broadside for 3 seconds and then slowly and regally started walking down the hill, soon going behind a rise of ground. I've got a new laser range finder for Christmas, now, and at least I'll know my distances to objects.

Topgun 3006 02-07-2017 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by john21wall (Post 4293436)
I put in for all three, it's cheap and close. I wasted money on dumber stuff...

You put in for what three for where?

olsaltydog 02-08-2017 12:35 PM

Put in for the KY elk gun tags this year. About the only thing I will put money towards for at least the next year or two.

salukipv1 02-08-2017 09:03 PM

Az, nm, co, wy, ut, nv, mt, ia,

Zim 02-14-2017 02:24 AM

I'm applying for everything everywhere as usual but not counting on any so I decided to burn my 20 elk points in Colorado before that unsustainable draw system totally collapses.

buffybr 02-16-2017 05:58 PM

I'll buy Montana Deer and Elk tags. I'm getting low on elk meat, so I should try to kill a bull this year. I'll also apply for Montana Sheep, Moose, Goat, and Antelope tags. Even with my maximum number of bonus points, the odds of drawing another Sheep, Moose, or Goat tag are somewhere between very, very slim and none.

At the GSCO convention in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago, I booked a hunt for Dagestan Tur in Azerbaijan in August (I've started training for that one), and a Caribou hunt in Québec in September.

Bocajnala 02-17-2017 07:45 PM

I had to put that one into google! That's going to be an incredible hunt. Share a post when you're back from it.
-Jake

handloader1 03-03-2017 02:40 PM

Elk, Mule Deer Buck, Pronghorn Antelope, Oryx, & Black Bear. Possibly Turkey. Good luck.

Champlain Islander 03-04-2017 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Zim (Post 4294216)
I'm applying for everything everywhere as usual but not counting on any so I decided to burn my 20 elk points in Colorado before that unsustainable draw system totally collapses.

I feel the same way. The point creep inherent with not allowing banking spells the end of an effective system. If it takes 8 to draw you should still have 12 in your account not zero Zim.

Phil from Maine 03-04-2017 05:40 PM

I will be applying for a Moose tag up here once again.. I have 2 different zones I like to hunt in. I was lucky enough to get one in 2009 and hopefully I can draw another one.

Zim 03-06-2017 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander (Post 4296235)
I feel the same way. The point creep inherent with not allowing banking spells the end of an effective system. If it takes 8 to draw you should still have 12 in your account not zero Zim.

The hunt I've been targeting actually took more points to draw last year. I lost ground! So that is why I decided to cash on something before the COP&W moves the goalposts once again by changing the rules like AZ did last year. It's only a matter of time.

Same for Nevada where their house of cards will fall any year now. How many times can you square thousands of guys points until the greenhorns figure out it's a total waste of their money to buy in there from the ground floor? Lots of states out there will be moving to screw their past investors to chase new fresh money.

Zim 03-25-2017 02:18 AM

AZ Action

Got hit in AZ for an elk tag. So my CO plan is scrapped. Been a while since I've drawn a tag so early. Lots of points only now in other states, except for sheep.

car 03-25-2017 04:31 AM

Good deal!

Wasatch Smoke 03-25-2017 08:57 PM

Idaho Moose. Washington Moose and Bull Elk.

Zim 03-27-2017 07:56 AM

After scouting the last two weekends in Iowa, I decided to burn my deer points there. I get two Illinois buck tags/year @ $26/each, but our public land sucks due to unrestricted NR quotas, so I'll bowhunt Iowa. So that makes two tags.

hunterdave1277 03-29-2017 03:07 AM

Maine moose and New Hampshire Moose

AlaskaJohn 03-29-2017 01:48 PM

I drew a caribou tag was all. I'll have to go OTC for most of the others.

Zim 04-03-2017 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by hunterdave1277 (Post 4299105)
Maine moose and New Hampshire Moose

Hunterdave, Have you noticed the new lower NH moose quotas? Yikes, I am so glad I got lucky and drew in 2012. At these quotas I'd really have to question investing this year. Glad I don't have to decide. I bowed out of the NH game after my tag.

Still doing Maine, but this is my 18th year trying so at least I'm adding ten chances yearly now with their watered down NR system.

hunterdave1277 04-03-2017 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Zim (Post 4299632)
Hunterdave, Have you noticed the new lower NH moose quotas? Yikes, I am so glad I got lucky and drew in 2012. At these quotas I'd really have to question investing this year. Glad I don't have to decide. I bowed out of the NH game after my tag.

Still doing Maine, but this is my 18th year trying so at least I'm adding ten chances yearly now with their watered down NR system.

Yeah,I saw NH was offering something like 72 permits this year. I also bought a 10 chance in ME for zone 8. I have permission to hunt 120 acres near Moosehead lake. The odds are definitely not in my favor, but you never know. Good luck to you!

Zim 04-03-2017 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by hunterdave1277 (Post 4299636)
Yeah,I saw NH was offering something like 72 permits this year. I also bought a 10 chance in ME for zone 8. I have permission to hunt 120 acres near Moosehead lake. The odds are definitely not in my favor, but you never know. Good luck to you!

Not sure if I'll actually put in for a hunt, or just points this year since I already have the AZ tag. That's in September. Hate to do just points though since odds are so low and my hunting years diminishing.