HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   What are you applying for? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/411379-what-you-applying.html)

Phil from Maine 03-04-2017 05:40 PM

I will be applying for a Moose tag up here once again.. I have 2 different zones I like to hunt in. I was lucky enough to get one in 2009 and hopefully I can draw another one.

Zim 03-06-2017 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander (Post 4296235)
I feel the same way. The point creep inherent with not allowing banking spells the end of an effective system. If it takes 8 to draw you should still have 12 in your account not zero Zim.

The hunt I've been targeting actually took more points to draw last year. I lost ground! So that is why I decided to cash on something before the COP&W moves the goalposts once again by changing the rules like AZ did last year. It's only a matter of time.

Same for Nevada where their house of cards will fall any year now. How many times can you square thousands of guys points until the greenhorns figure out it's a total waste of their money to buy in there from the ground floor? Lots of states out there will be moving to screw their past investors to chase new fresh money.

Zim 03-25-2017 02:18 AM

AZ Action

Got hit in AZ for an elk tag. So my CO plan is scrapped. Been a while since I've drawn a tag so early. Lots of points only now in other states, except for sheep.

car 03-25-2017 04:31 AM

Good deal!

Wasatch Smoke 03-25-2017 08:57 PM

Idaho Moose. Washington Moose and Bull Elk.

Zim 03-27-2017 07:56 AM

After scouting the last two weekends in Iowa, I decided to burn my deer points there. I get two Illinois buck tags/year @ $26/each, but our public land sucks due to unrestricted NR quotas, so I'll bowhunt Iowa. So that makes two tags.

hunterdave1277 03-29-2017 03:07 AM

Maine moose and New Hampshire Moose

AlaskaJohn 03-29-2017 01:48 PM

I drew a caribou tag was all. I'll have to go OTC for most of the others.

Zim 04-03-2017 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by hunterdave1277 (Post 4299105)
Maine moose and New Hampshire Moose

Hunterdave, Have you noticed the new lower NH moose quotas? Yikes, I am so glad I got lucky and drew in 2012. At these quotas I'd really have to question investing this year. Glad I don't have to decide. I bowed out of the NH game after my tag.

Still doing Maine, but this is my 18th year trying so at least I'm adding ten chances yearly now with their watered down NR system.

hunterdave1277 04-03-2017 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Zim (Post 4299632)
Hunterdave, Have you noticed the new lower NH moose quotas? Yikes, I am so glad I got lucky and drew in 2012. At these quotas I'd really have to question investing this year. Glad I don't have to decide. I bowed out of the NH game after my tag.

Still doing Maine, but this is my 18th year trying so at least I'm adding ten chances yearly now with their watered down NR system.

Yeah,I saw NH was offering something like 72 permits this year. I also bought a 10 chance in ME for zone 8. I have permission to hunt 120 acres near Moosehead lake. The odds are definitely not in my favor, but you never know. Good luck to you!