HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   What are you applying for? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/411379-what-you-applying.html)

john21wall 02-07-2017 04:12 AM

I put in for all three, it's cheap and close. I wasted money on dumber stuff...

Alsatian 02-07-2017 10:16 AM

Elk hunting in first rifle season in SW Colorado GMU 75, as usual. I had a bull elk in my cross hairs last year, 7:30 AM, Tuesday morning, but I deemed the shot doubtful for my ability at that moment. It looked a long way away and I felt jittery. Part of my problem, I think, was that I was in a defeatist frame of mind at the time and was surprised by the opportunity. My adrenaline started rushing and I didn't calmly evaluate the situation -- like to ask myself how much are the cross hairs moving on the vital area? He stood broadside for 3 seconds and then slowly and regally started walking down the hill, soon going behind a rise of ground. I've got a new laser range finder for Christmas, now, and at least I'll know my distances to objects.

Topgun 3006 02-07-2017 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by john21wall (Post 4293436)
I put in for all three, it's cheap and close. I wasted money on dumber stuff...

You put in for what three for where?

olsaltydog 02-08-2017 12:35 PM

Put in for the KY elk gun tags this year. About the only thing I will put money towards for at least the next year or two.

salukipv1 02-08-2017 09:03 PM

Az, nm, co, wy, ut, nv, mt, ia,

Zim 02-14-2017 02:24 AM

I'm applying for everything everywhere as usual but not counting on any so I decided to burn my 20 elk points in Colorado before that unsustainable draw system totally collapses.

buffybr 02-16-2017 05:58 PM

I'll buy Montana Deer and Elk tags. I'm getting low on elk meat, so I should try to kill a bull this year. I'll also apply for Montana Sheep, Moose, Goat, and Antelope tags. Even with my maximum number of bonus points, the odds of drawing another Sheep, Moose, or Goat tag are somewhere between very, very slim and none.

At the GSCO convention in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago, I booked a hunt for Dagestan Tur in Azerbaijan in August (I've started training for that one), and a Caribou hunt in Québec in September.

Bocajnala 02-17-2017 07:45 PM

I had to put that one into google! That's going to be an incredible hunt. Share a post when you're back from it.
-Jake

handloader1 03-03-2017 02:40 PM

Elk, Mule Deer Buck, Pronghorn Antelope, Oryx, & Black Bear. Possibly Turkey. Good luck.

Champlain Islander 03-04-2017 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Zim (Post 4294216)
I'm applying for everything everywhere as usual but not counting on any so I decided to burn my 20 elk points in Colorado before that unsustainable draw system totally collapses.

I feel the same way. The point creep inherent with not allowing banking spells the end of an effective system. If it takes 8 to draw you should still have 12 in your account not zero Zim.