Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Color phase bears

Old 01-01-2017, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Color phase bears

Ok, if I am going to spend the money on a color phase bear hunt, where would you guys suggest I go for the best opportunity? I am open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance!! Mace
Old 01-02-2017, 04:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

What color are you looking for? Places like CO, UT and NM have a lot of cinnamon colored bear. Alberta and MT are both known for producing chocolate and blond colored bear. In AK if you're lucky you can get what they call a glacier bear which has kind of a blue sheen. Of course it has to be pointed out that black is also a color for a bear.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

Anything other than black that I don't have to refinance the house to pay for!! LOL
Old 01-02-2017, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Alberta then. Lots of color phase up that way.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted southern Colorado for 11 years now. Of all the bear I have seen, I can count on one hand those that are black. Majority have been chocolate color with a few cinnamon and blonde.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

As Rob and Flags said, Southern CO or pretty much everywhere in Canada/British Columbia. Back in the dark ages when I was young, I used to see some color phases in the Smokies of Tennessee. Not TOO often but often enough to make note of it. Usually Cinnamon. Haven't hunted Blackies in forever though, at least not on purpose, since I really don't like Bear meat. A few in my family loved it though and I do like Bear rugs so I hunted them pretty often way back then. Used to love combining a Fall Lake Trout and Black Bear combo in Canada.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
I have hunted southern Colorado for 11 years now. Of all the bear I have seen, I can count on one hand those that are black. Majority have been chocolate color with a few cinnamon and blonde.
Those brown colored ones are very crafty and have actually learned to climb up the side of houses looking for deer.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you mean this guy CI?

Old 01-03-2017, 02:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Yup that's the youngster who thought he was people and lived there. He climbed up on the table and got a game bag hanging 10' up on the ceiling with some muley meat. We moved it all through the cabin to the porch above. All was fine until around 2 am when I heard a commotion that sounded like the cabin was being torn apart. I got out of bed and threw on the porch light to check on my meat and saw that guy coming over the rail. He climbed up the corner column in pic 1 to get to the isolated porch above. Either he or I was going to end up with that meat and I won out. The sight of me in my skivvies was just too much for that bear. The next day I decided to process the deer while Rob and Dave were hunting. It was a beautiful day warm with a bright sun. I completed the task with an eye out for "brownie", cleaned up the site then decided to relax and have a beer. I was sitting in the living room with the doors open and saw a brown head coming up the stairs to the porch. I took his picture through the screen door. The next day it snowed a ton and Rob shot an elk and the day after we were headed home packing and closing the cabin. Dave looked out in the yard and said look at that.... it is back. We watched as he waddled down the driveway and was walking past the truck, smelled that it had an elk in it the day before and turned putting a paw on the back bumper of my truck with an intent on smashing the cap to get into the back. We sent him on his way none the worse for the experience. That cabin is for sale and the price includes claw marks on the post along with a good story.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 01-03-2017 at 02:47 AM.